Crossfire Coupe A place to discuss Coupe specific topics.

Radar Detector Recommendations

Old 01-19-2005, 12:56 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Radar Detector Recommendations

Been a member for a while now but have never posted. I have decided that a Radar Detector is in my near future. I thought it would be wise to get first hand advice from users. I have read good things about valentine one and passport 8500. Any advice for a good Radar setup would be appreciated. Also,I was interested in how to install a detector more discretely than window mounting and a wire dangling down to the cigarette lighter. I am suprised I have not seen a forum on radars before, maybe I missed it.

I love American Style and German Engineering.......

Old 01-19-2005, 03:12 AM
Default Re: Radar Detector Recommendations

One option when installing a radar detector is hardwiring it into the cars electrical system. This elminates the need for a cigarette lighter plug. One problem I encountered when I had my Passport plugged into my cigar lighter when when I shifted into 5th, it would skin my fingers, so I ended up buying a hardwire kit, and installing it that way. It was really easy to do, just wired it into the fusebox, then tucked the wiring between the windshield and the headliner. If you check out some online reviews the Passport is rated higher than the Valentine, when compared on feature content, and cost. I had the detector mounted just below my rearview mirror, with the wire running behind the mirror and into the headliner. If you are interested, I am selling my Passport 8500, check in the parts for sale forum, or send me a PM.

DavesX-fire

Old 01-19-2005, 09:20 AM

I have used a Passport Solo for over a year. It is battery operated. Figure about a set of AA batteries every month. Carry a spare set in the center console and forget about all the wiring. The unit is moveable from car to car. Just mount it on the passenger's visor. Works like a charm and it is up high where it belongs.

Old 01-19-2005, 02:29 PM
Forum Regular

I have a few reviews here http://www.lordpercy.com/speed_camer...or_reviews.htm