Crossfire Coupe A place to discuss Coupe specific topics.

No key for locking lug bolt

Old 08-30-2016, 02:52 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default No key for locking lug bolt

I just got a 2005 couple weeks ago in checking it over. I find all 4 rims have a locking lug bolt. Searching the car I can find no key for it. Went to a tire place they said an air hammer. They did not sound good to me. Went to small Chrysler dealership in town they had no idea. Not sure if this is an after market device or from Chrysler. I did get a print out from Chrysler on all the options that came with this specific vehicle and Locking lug bolts are not listed. Any help, ideas or suggestions?
Thanks,
Ed
PS: I really really love this car, makes me feel 30 years younger.
Got lucky with a EBay purchase.

Old 08-30-2016, 03:02 PM
Received 543 Likes on 459 Posts
Default Re: No key for locking lug bolt

Originally Posted by edc01
I just got a 2005 couple weeks ago in checking it over. I find all 4 rims have a locking lug bolt. Searching the car I can find no key for it. Went to a tire place they said an air hammer. They did not sound good to me. Went to small Chrysler dealership in town they had no idea. Not sure if this is an after market device or from Chrysler. I did get a print out from Chrysler on all the options that came with this specific vehicle and Locking lug bolts are not listed. Any help, ideas or suggestions?
Thanks,
Ed
PS: I really really love this car, makes me feel 30 years younger.
Got lucky with a EBay purchase.
Click here........
Or look on You Tube, they tell every one how to steel your rims.

Last edited by onehundred80; 08-30-2016 at 06:18 PM.
Old 08-30-2016, 03:06 PM
Received 153 Likes on 141 Posts

Do what 180 suggests ^^
OR
Take a picture with ur cell and go to a parts store and see if you can find a set with a similar key.
OR
Drill a hole in the center and try using a BIG EZ-Out.

Old 08-30-2016, 07:19 PM
Received 531 Likes on 421 Posts

I actually have a Chrysler Crossfire set of locking lug bolts on my 2007 Coupe. Bought these off an eBay vendor back in 2008. Hex Head on the locking lug has two adjoining sides skewed to require the special socket that comes with the set of 4 lugs.

Part No = JU-8220-8313 (Chrysler Crossfire Chrome Wheel Lock Set)

So there was (maybe is) a set of OEM locking lug bolts for the Crossfire. Probably just a set of M-B Locking Lug Bolts re-packaged & sold as a Chrysler product.

Last edited by dedwards0323; 08-30-2016 at 07:29 PM.
Old 08-30-2016, 08:36 PM
Received 543 Likes on 459 Posts

Originally Posted by dedwards0323
I actually have a Chrysler Crossfire set of locking lug bolts on my 2007 Coupe. Bought these off an eBay vendor back in 2008. Hex Head on the locking lug has two adjoining sides skewed to require the special socket that comes with the set of 4 lugs.

So there was (maybe is) a set of OEM locking lug bolts for the Crossfire. Probably just a set of M-B Locking Lug Bolts re-packaged & sold as a Chrysler product.
I believe that from what I see of the label that remains on my package it was a Mercedes part. I had peeled of the Chrysler label and it was damaged.

Old 08-31-2016, 09:17 AM

I stand corrected. The Locking Lug Bolt Set is similar to a typical McGard set available. McGard probably supplied this to Chrysler.

Old 08-31-2016, 01:16 PM

Had the same thing happen on mine - noticed the locking lugs right away, seller (original owner) played dumb and said he didn't know anything about it and never had the key.

No big deal, Les Schwab or Discount tire will knock them off no-charge when you need new tires.

Note: one of them did try to charge me $10 per wheel to bust them off, I said no thanks, I'll just take it to your competitor and have them do it for free - they dropped the charge.

You don't want to watch them do it - on mine they just took a 1/2 drive deep socket that was slightly smaller than the diameter of the lug and pounded it on there with a sledge hammer....worked.

Note 2: my wheels were after market and took an oddball spline lug - they didn't have one on hand so I had to buy and take care of that myself to replace the removed lock.

SC

Old 09-01-2016, 01:01 PM
Forum Regular
Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Spoonchucker
Had the same thing happen on mine - noticed the locking lugs right away, seller (original owner) played dumb and said he didn't know anything about it and never had the key.

No big deal, Les Schwab or Discount tire will knock them off no-charge when you need new tires.

Note: one of them did try to charge me $10 per wheel to bust them off, I said no thanks, I'll just take it to your competitor and have them do it for free - they dropped the charge.

You don't want to watch them do it - on mine they just took a 1/2 drive deep socket that was slightly smaller than the diameter of the lug and pounded it on there with a sledge hammer....worked.

Note 2: my wheels were after market and took an oddball spline lug - they didn't have one on hand so I had to buy and take care of that myself to replace the removed lock.

SC
Thats pretty much how you get them off. If a thief wants your wheels they can get them, wheel locks just make them work harder for it if they try and also with all the damn noise they would be making hopefully somebody would hear or notice something.

Regardless 95% of wheel thieves will skip over your car and still your neighbors instead.

Old 09-02-2016, 09:57 AM

Dewards, The picture you posted of the individual nut is the one I need. I did take picture and went to Auto Value store. They order kit with 16 different ones in but none work. Part number ATD-3065 Locking Wheel Nut Master Key Set. I will try that mopar number. Thank you.

Old 09-03-2016, 09:24 PM

Originally Posted by edc01
Dewards, The picture you posted of the individual nut is the one I need. I did take picture and went to Auto Value store. They order kit with 16 different ones in but none work. Part number ATD-3065 Locking Wheel Nut Master Key Set. I will try that mopar number. Thank you.
Here's a source for that Crossfire locking lug bolt set. Be careful ordering. I'd call first because I thought that these sets came with master keys that differed slightly. So no guarantees you'll get a set with a master key that fits your lug bolts. Probably will have to remove the existing locking lug bolts and then install the ones from the new set you order.

And a set directly from McGard may be less costly. By the MOPAR packaging, McGard manufactured these locking lug bolt sets. (Note: Looks like McGard locking lug bolt set for Crossfire is about the same price.)

Last edited by dedwards0323; 09-03-2016 at 09:36 PM.
Old 09-03-2016, 09:45 PM

First place I looked was Amazon. Entered the McGard P/N (28023) for the Crossfire Locking Lug Set and found the set at JEGS for $31.99. Look around if you're going to buy a set.

Later,

Old 09-03-2016, 09:46 PM

Found another Amazon vendor selling the set for $27.94. Lots of sources.

Old 04-12-2019, 12:47 AM

First place I looked was Amazon. Entered the McGard P/N (28023) for the Crossfire Locking Lug Set and found the set at JEGS for $31.99. Look around if you're going to buy a set.

Later,
Pretty sure the McGard Crossfire set is different than the Mopar set made for the Crossfire by McGard. If you look closely at both sets they are different.

I bought the McGard branded set for about $10 on eBay hoping the key would work. It doesn't on the Mopar set. You will notice the Mopar set is better made and it's going to be tougher to use the method of pounding on a socket because the Mopar set has rings around the lug that spin freely. The McGard set doesn't.

Last edited by safrick; 04-12-2019 at 12:52 AM.
Old 04-12-2019, 05:27 PM

Originally Posted by safrick
Pretty sure the McGard Crossfire set is different than the Mopar set made for the Crossfire by McGard. If you look closely at both sets they are different.

I bought the McGard branded set for about $10 on eBay hoping the key would work. It doesn't on the Mopar set. You will notice the Mopar set is better made and it's going to be tougher to use the method of pounding on a socket because the Mopar set has rings around the lug that spin freely. The McGard set doesn't.
I talked with McGard today and I was correct. The Mopar set and McGard set for our cars is different. I sent them a picture to confirm it's the Mopar set and they are sending me a Mopar key for $15.

Old 04-13-2019, 12:23 PM

McGard is a great company. Take a picture of the bolt head and email it to them. If it's their part, they will figure out which key and sell you a new one.

Old 04-18-2019, 12:26 AM
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

You can go to Harbor Freight and buy a lock removal set for something like $20. I've had one for years and it has come in handy several times.

Old 05-13-2019, 06:31 PM

do you have the mcgard part #? ive lost my lug bolt security key