U.K. Serving all countries of the United Kingdom.

Locking wheel nut remover?

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2012, 11:00 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Locking wheel nut remover?

Had my xf leak sealed and cleaned stains out today and the garage who done have said they would do a general check of the car....but he can't find the locking wheel nut key and I didn't get one with the car what's are my best options from here?

Cheers

doggboy

Old 01-04-2012, 11:02 AM
Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Re: Locking wheel nut remover?

Originally Posted by doggboy
Had my xf leak sealed and cleaned stains out today and the garage who done have said they would do a general check of the car....but he can't find the locking wheel nut key and I didn't get one with the car what's are my best options from here?

Cheers

doggboy
I just realized I am in the same boat.... never got one.

Old 01-04-2012, 11:36 AM
PNA
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Talk to a reputable tire facility to see what they do in cases like this. You could also check out what might be your best options via a search on the web. Some of the lock manufacturers may have some info. Last option would be to drill / cut them off. Need to be very carful though to protect the wheel and the bolts, or you might have to end up replacing the bolts............

Good Luck

EDIT: There are some youtube videos on this that make it seem pretty easy to get these off. One Example: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T8Uc2SlkSPM

Others provide more detail on tools etc. Seems like the locks only make it hard for the dum theives to prevent theft of the wheels..................

Last edited by PNA; 01-04-2012 at 11:51 AM.
Old 01-04-2012, 11:52 AM
Received 153 Likes on 141 Posts

Courtesy of BLACKSRT-6 :

Ever see one of those cheap as **** sockets with all the spring loaded pins inside that is supposed to fit any size nut. That's what I used when my lug key went missing and it worked perfectly. I now have two of those crappy pin loaded sockets!

Old 01-04-2012, 11:58 AM
Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by alaxfire
Courtesy of BLACKSRT-6 :
That is the best idea I have ever heard!!!

Old 01-04-2012, 12:09 PM

Off to get me a spring loaded socket thing then now lol, If that doesn't work I have been given the ebay link of someone who can reproduce your key from a picture off your phone for around £30 I'll post link up later when I get home

Old 01-04-2012, 03:43 PM
Forum Regular

You can use a socket which is a shade smaller than the locking wheel nut. This must be a tight fit. Hammer this on and remove the locking nut. Now you need to get the locking wheel nut out of the socket by drifting it out with a drift. Or you can buy some locking wheel nut removing sockets which screw on the opposite way to the locking nut. I have a set if you want to borrow them. Hey,that would be a nice run out for the Crossfire to.

BTW. You will need a new set of locking nuts to fit afterwards

Jon

Old 01-04-2012, 04:03 PM

Hi

Had the same problem, just went to the local MB dealer they had a set of replacement keys, worked the way thru the case wich covered the 170SLK and within 5 minutes found the one that fitted. £28 and never had to damage a thing.

I suggest this method as it worked perfectly for me.

Last edited by Mr Kilmouski; 01-05-2012 at 03:22 PM.
Old 01-04-2012, 04:28 PM

Originally Posted by Mr Kilmouski
Hi

Had the same problem, just went to the local MB dealer they had a set of replacement keys, worked the way thru the case wich covered the 170SLK and within 5 minutes found the one that fitted. £28 and never had to damage a thing.

I suggest this metod as it worked perfectly for me.
Got a Merc dealer not to far from me, will call them tomorrow....what shall I ask for?, locking nut key for slk 170?

Old 01-04-2012, 04:31 PM

Originally Posted by The bodyman
You can use a socket which is a shade smaller than the locking wheel nut. This must be a tight fit. Hammer this on and remove the locking nut. Now you need to get the locking wheel nut out of the socket by drifting it out with a drift. Or you can buy some locking wheel nut removing sockets which screw on the opposite way to the locking nut. I have a set if you want to borrow them. Hey,that would be a nice run out for the Crossfire to.

BTW. You will need a new set of locking nuts to fit afterwards

Jon
Appreciate the offer buddy but after Christmas I've got to tighten the purse strings...and that means no more petrol wasting (wife's words not mine )
By the way is your white xf for sale?....seen one on ebay for sale and there can't be many white ones about?

Old 01-04-2012, 04:35 PM
Question Re: Locking wheel nut remover?

Anyone know what size the wheel nut is on crossfires?

Old 01-04-2012, 08:39 PM
SSB SRT6 405hp/401Tq
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'd search in the back hatch, in and around where the jack, tire sealant, spare tire kit without the spare tire is lol. That's where I would have kept it. Good luck.

Old 01-04-2012, 08:54 PM
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Gator Grip Universal Socket Kit
Everything you need in the palm of your hand
Maybe you've seen the "Gator Grip" on TV and you wondered if it really did all they claimed. I can tell you it does! This one socket fits all nuts and bolts from 1/4" to 3/4" and all metric sizes from 9mm to 17mm. And it fits odd shapes like wing nuts and eye bolts too. The trick of the Gator Grip is that the socket is made up of 52 spring loaded steel roller pins that automatically conform to the shape of the nut, bolt or whatever you want to tighten. And here's the best part: I've combined it with a flexible stubby ratchet and a belt pouch so that you have an entire lightweight socket set that fits in the palm of your hand and you can carry it on your belt. It also comes with an adapter that lets you to use the socket with your electric screwdriver. When I show the Gator Grip in person--everybody wants one. This is the coolest new tool I've seen in a long time.
#69505 Gator Grip Kit $59.95Quantity:

No self respecting wheel thief leaves home without one!.. Also available at most local pawn shops for a song-dance and $3.50 (at least mine was)

Old 01-04-2012, 10:22 PM

Originally Posted by SparkieSRT6
I'd search in the back hatch, in and around where the jack, tire sealant, spare tire kit without the spare tire is lol. That's where I would have kept it. Good luck.
I believe the last Audi A6 I had, had the keyed socket on a spring on the handle of the lug wrench....Perhaps MB did the same.

Old 01-05-2012, 12:51 AM
Forum Regular

Appreciate the offer buddy but after Christmas I've got to tighten the purse strings...and that means no more petrol wasting (wife's words not mine )
By the way is your white xf for sale?....seen one on ebay for sale and there can't be many white ones about?

Was that one for sale in the UK?
White wasn't available for the UK market, so I resprayed mine last year. It use to be blue. You can see it being done on UK Crossfires - For owners of the Chrysler Crossfire in the UK under (photo gallery Bodymans respray).
Don't want to sale her, but you never know.

Jon

Old 01-05-2012, 03:21 PM

Got a Merc dealer not to far from me, will call them tomorrow....what shall I ask for?, locking nut key for slk 170?
I JUst phoned them and explained the problem, that I had a crossfire and that the key looked the same as the one I had on my Previous SLK 320. They have should have 2 sets of master keys. You want to try the older set which has the star shaped keys in it.

The part number should be something like B66 40 82**
** being the key number which fits your lock.

Any probs give Paul a call at Mercedes Milton Keynes. He is a Star and saved me a fortune

Old 01-05-2012, 04:50 PM

Originally Posted by The bodyman
Was that one for sale in the UK?
White wasn't available for the UK market, so I resprayed mine last year. It use to be blue. You can see it being done on UK Crossfires - For owners of the Chrysler Crossfire in the UK under (photo gallery Bodymans respray).
Don't want to sale her, but you never know.

Jon

Here's the link to the one on ebay I quickly looked at:

2004 CHRYSLER CROSSFIRE WHITE | eBay

Old 01-06-2012, 03:50 AM
Forum Regular

Looks like they only painted the outer panels and left the door shuts and engine bay in black. That's the hard bit of a colour change.

Old 01-12-2012, 04:04 PM
Thumbs up Re: Locking wheel nut remover?

Update: Got a locking wheel nut today........walked in local MB dealership in work clothes, they looked horrified as If I was there to hold them up Said could I try your locking wheel nut keys on my XF as I have lost mine, they seemed puzzled and said this is Merc only we don't cover chrysler here....I then went into explain the birth of the xf mode (seem to do this quite a lot lol?) to which they still looked puzzled but got the parts guy to come have a go with his set...and badda bing sixth nut in we had a fit....£27 and a few hours for new one to be delivered and I now have the holy grail of my my missing wheel nut, refurbed ally's here I come

Old 01-13-2012, 04:02 AM

Update: Got a locking wheel nut today........walked in local MB dealership in work clothes, they looked horrified as If I was there to hold them up Said could I try your locking wheel nut keys on my XF as I have lost mine, they seemed puzzled and said this is Merc only we don't cover chrysler here....I then went into explain the birth of the xf mode (seem to do this quite a lot lol?) to which they still looked puzzled but got the parts guy to come have a go with his set...and badda bing sixth nut in we had a fit....£27 and a few hours for new one to be delivered and I now have the holy grail of my my missing wheel nut, refurbed ally's here I come
What did I tell ya. Sometimes you just need to explain things clearly to the guys behind the counter and eventually they will understand.
Now you have a key think about how much grief you have been saved from, and no further damage to your precious alloys.

Quick Reply: Locking wheel nut remover?