Crossfire SRT6 A place to discuss SRT-6 specific topics.

No off idle throttle response (barely moves)

Old 11-30-2011, 05:00 PM
www.TheCrossfireShop.com
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default No off idle throttle response (barely moves)

Okay, weird issue, after a spirited romp, after getting in town, I had almost no throttle response to pedal input (like half pedal barely move) then power would progressively come on very quickly.

This is off idle from a stop, not a loss of power at highway speeds.

Any ideas?

Could the split throttle body gasket issue lead to this?

Old 11-30-2011, 05:59 PM
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Re: No off idle throttle response (barely moves)

It sounds like a problem I had once.... the TB was confused for some reason...I did a TB reset and it fixed it for me...... also check the connector at the TB...unplug and re-install to make sure the connection is solid...

Old 11-30-2011, 06:24 PM
Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts
Talking Re: No off idle throttle response (barely moves)

Limp mode, you got it mad. I agree with miker. Woody

Old 11-30-2011, 06:25 PM
www.TheCrossfireShop.com

Originally Posted by MikeR
It sounds like a problem I had once.... the TB was confused for some reason...I did a TB reset and it fixed it for me...... also check the connector at the TB...unplug and re-install to make sure the connection is solid...
Just went to Ace for some LP gas, and runs fine now. I did do a quick throttle relearn (waited about a minute), so not sure if it was that or a cool down sitting an hour in 30 degree temps.

I have suspicions that the IC pump is flakely, it is an OEM unit. But I have never heard of the IC pump effecting off idle throttle for normal driving. Seemed to be TPS or APS related because slow movement of pedal in neutral up to about 1200 rpms resulted in some strange responses, almost like a sporadic dead spot. Is not doing so now which is weird!

Once I get it put away for the winter, have a list of things to go through on it.

If anyone has any insight (been there, done that), please chime in.

Old 11-30-2011, 06:38 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MrMoPar
Just went to Ace for some LP gas, and runs fine now. I did do a quick throttle relearn (waited about a minute), so not sure if it was that or a cool down sitting an hour in 30 degree temps.

I have suspicions that the IC pump is flakely, it is an OEM unit. But I have never heard of the IC pump effecting off idle throttle for normal driving. Seemed to be TPS or APS related because slow movement of pedal in neutral up to about 1200 rpms resulted in some strange responses, almost like a sporadic dead spot. Is not doing so now which is weird!

Once I get it put away for the winter, have a list of things to go through on it.

If anyone has any insight (been there, done that), please chime in.
when my IC pump went i would say 95% of the time it occured at highway speeds, every once in a while i noticed it at stop lights/signs. all fixed now.

Old 11-30-2011, 06:39 PM
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

MrMoPar, the throttle reset looks like it fixed it.... I have had the exact same problem 2 times on my car.... TB reset took care of it both times....I also pulled the TB to examine it and found nothing wrong...even popped the cover off the electrontics and checked out the wiper switches once.... it has been quite a while since the last hiccup....

Old 11-30-2011, 07:27 PM
www.TheCrossfireShop.com

Originally Posted by MikeR
MrMoPar, the throttle reset looks like it fixed it.... I have had the exact same problem 2 times on my car.... TB reset took care of it both times....I also pulled the TB to examine it and found nothing wrong...even popped the cover off the electrontics and checked out the wiper switches once.... it has been quite a while since the last hiccup....
I certainly hope it does not come back, was scared to try and pull out as you push and push a little more, and is barely moving, then all of a sudden you can feel throttle going open! Scary!

Old 11-30-2011, 11:26 PM
Forum Regular

Have seen the same issue and can actually get it to replicate it while in park and when cold so I know its not the pump again (replaced already). All I can figure wout so far is that it has something to do with the virtual kick down switch, either it is bad or there is some sort of interrupt in communication on the can-bus with the TPS

Old 11-30-2011, 11:31 PM
www.TheCrossfireShop.com

Originally Posted by Infinity
Have seen the same issue and can actually get it to replicate it while in park and when cold so I know its not the pump again (replaced already). All I can figure wout so far is that it has something to do with the virtual kick down switch, either it is bad or there is some sort of interrupt in communication on the can-bus with the TPS
I assume that switch is in the gas pedal assembly?

Old 12-01-2011, 10:51 AM
Forum Regular

yes, just above the nut that holds the pedal in place.

Old 12-02-2011, 04:20 PM
www.TheCrossfireShop.com

Okay, now I know what the issue is, it is the APPS (accelerator pedal position sensor) assembly. It must have a dead spot near full throttle or whatever the kick down position is. It did it again today. This time I simply turned car off and restart and throttle response is restored.

I found similar accounts for the Crossfire (both NA and SRT). So fix most likely will be a new assembly, $164 for an after market unit with 2 year warranty. Will take it out this weekend to inspect, but no codes, just no throttle response.

Old 12-02-2011, 04:23 PM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by MrMoPar
Okay, now I know what the issue is, it is the APPS (accelerator pedal position sensor) assembly. It must have a dead spot near full throttle or whatever the kick down position is. It did it again today. This time I simply turned car off and restart and throttle response is restored.

I found similar accounts for the Crossfire (both NA and SRT). So fix most likely will be a new assembly, $164 for an after market unit with 2 year warranty. Will take it out this weekend to inspect, but no codes, just no throttle response.
Let us know what you find...

Old 12-02-2011, 04:26 PM
www.TheCrossfireShop.com

Originally Posted by Infinity
Let us know what you find...
Will do, bugs me when someone posts a problem and then never posts what solution was. Is no help to others to do that!

Old 12-04-2011, 08:31 AM

Must be contagious. I just pulled the code:

P0222 Throttle/Petal Position Sensor/Switch B Circuit Low Input

Full power will not restore. I was reteaching my nitrous management unit and something must have gone wrong with the APPSS2 wire. The problem resolved itself in the past, so im hoping for the same.

It could be anything from the APPS to its signal wires being short/open to the PCM, or the PCM its self.

Good luck! Lets us know how yours turns out. Ill do the same.

Old 12-04-2011, 11:20 AM
www.TheCrossfireShop.com

Mine does not throw any codes, the pedal just becomes dysfunctional til a key off, restart. I have found the car had several mode, code pulley still on, CAI was replaced with stock. It might have a sprint booster on it, when normal, pedal is touchy compared to my NA cross fire. Might be issue with that if it has one, possibly pinched wire, or just a dying APPS. Best price I found on a new one was $165.00 plus s/h.

Not sure I would want to buy a used one and then have to get another in 6 months if it went bad. When I get Blazer out of garage today, going to look at APPS to see if can find any external issue.

Old 12-04-2011, 11:48 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I posted awhile ago on this issue with my NA but got no response, that this began when I put the DCAI's on with the 74mm TB. The problem seems to be getting a bit worse, so I'll do the reset also and see what happens. Always from idle, generally in first as it starts to move toward second, the flat spot hits, like it just went into a neutral mode, then I back off the accelerator and then appears to run normal.

Old 12-04-2011, 12:22 PM
www.TheCrossfireShop.com

Originally Posted by mdaniels4
I posted awhile ago on this issue with my NA but got no response, that this began when I put the DCAI's on with the 74mm TB. The problem seems to be getting a bit worse, so I'll do the reset also and see what happens. Always from idle, generally in first as it starts to move toward second, the flat spot hits, like it just went into a neutral mode, then I back off the accelerator and then appears to run normal.
Yours sounds as if it might be related to air flow irrationality in the pcm programming. You might want to discuss an NA tune with eurocharged while they are on sale. The re learn may help yours, would try first, if no luck, talk to eurocharged before buying a new pedal assembly. Definately if no codes present, air flow irratioonality would be my first guess.

When mine acts up, it is immediately after a full pedal to the floor. Then the pedal acts as if it does nothing or is very slow for the throttle body to respond. From a stop, I can press pedal 1/3 rd down and car just does not respond, it moves verrrrrry slowly and you can feel TB slowly starting to catch up and have to back off pedal to keep it from taking off.

Old 12-04-2011, 12:22 PM
www.TheCrossfireShop.com

Ooops, double post.

Last edited by MrMoPar; 12-04-2011 at 12:24 PM.
Old 12-04-2011, 07:01 PM

Problem solved. Specific to mine at least. Before you buy a new APPS, take it off and see if you really do have a spring booster or not. If so, disconnect it and see if the problem persists; it may be failing.

The APPS harness sends a 5 volt supply from the yellow/white wire, to the APPS. In turn, the APPS sends the APPSS to the PCM which controls throttle response.

Here was my problem, the 5 volt supply was not being returned in the correct voltage from the APPS which resulted in the slow response in acceleration. The sprint booster hindered the voltage to the APPSS 2 wire. Once I removed the booster she was as good as new.

Easy fix for me, but now im left with a $300 paper weight Time to dissect it and see what went wrong.

Old 12-17-2011, 04:58 PM

MrMopar....Did you ever find out whats wrong with it? Mine does the same thing after I press on it hard the throttle just dies barley moves till I restart...its driving me nuts!

Quick Reply: No off idle throttle response (barely moves)