Crossfire SRT6 A place to discuss SRT-6 specific topics.

alternator trouble

Old 04-28-2016, 11:03 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default alternator trouble

hey everybody! so, i discovered my alternator was failing after hearing some weird noises coming from the pulley on the alternator. when I took it off, the pulley was hanging on the shaft by a thread. anyways, i took my alternator to a local rebuilder and he told me i was better off buying a new one for $135 after he assessed the damage. so, i go to pick it up today and the rebuilder bought me one for the N/A instead of the srt6. my original is a valeo and so is this one, but the pulley only had 6 grooves. so, he put a new 8 groove pulley on the new alternator, but it is somewhat bigger than the original pulley. will this add extra stress to the alternator or anything else? also, the new alternator has a B1 and a B2 terminal on the back, whereas the original only had a B+ terminal. my car only has 1 wire to go to a B terminal and the plug that clips in the hole. is this a problem? what should i do with the B2 terminal?

Old 04-29-2016, 12:55 AM
Received 392 Likes on 337 Posts
Default Re: alternator trouble

Originally Posted by bbsrt6
hey everybody! so, i discovered my alternator was failing after hearing some weird noises coming from the pulley on the alternator. when I took it off, the pulley was hanging on the shaft by a thread. anyways, i took my alternator to a local rebuilder and he told me i was better off buying a new one for $135 after he assessed the damage. so, i go to pick it up today and the rebuilder bought me one for the N/A instead of the srt6. my original is a valeo and so is this one, but the pulley only had 6 grooves. so, he put a new 8 groove pulley on the new alternator, but it is somewhat bigger than the original pulley. will this add extra stress to the alternator or anything else? also, the new alternator has a B1 and a B2 terminal on the back, whereas the original only had a B+ terminal. my car only has 1 wire to go to a B terminal and the plug that clips in the hole. is this a problem? what should i do with the B2 terminal?

I would return the alternator and get/install the correct one. I fear once you let someone 'modify' the new alternator, you may have a problem returning it. Replacements should bolt right in, without swapping pulleys.

Old 04-29-2016, 09:01 AM
Administrator
Received 888 Likes on 692 Posts

I just sent Chuk a facebook message - he's spoken of how changing the pulley is common with SRT alternators.

It's this talk of how the electrical connections are different that bothers me. How 'bout you give us photos of the old versus new?

Old 04-29-2016, 09:21 AM
Received 552 Likes on 464 Posts

Bosch and Valeo make alternators that fit the NA and the SRT without any modification. They come with the correct pulley and the correct connection to the appropriate loom.
If I recall correctly the shaft on the NA version is shorter than the SRT version and the electrical connection is different as you have found.
I have a chart on here somewhere that gives the Valeo numbers for the alternators and the Bosch number that it replaces.
I suspect the alternator you are replacing is not the correct one and the pulley on it did not fit properly.
Click on the index ..... In my signature and look for the chart in the Engine-Electrical listing.

Last edited by onehundred80; 04-29-2016 at 09:23 AM.
Old 04-29-2016, 09:37 AM

I'll try to post pics later today after I get off work. The pulley that came on this new alternator had a large shim behind it. When he put on the new pulley with 8 grooves he had to take the shim off so that the pulley was in the correct position in relation to the belt. The connector plug is exactly the same as the old alternator. The issue is that the old one only had the one B+ terminal where the wire attaches under the nut. This new alternator has 2 B terminals where presumably you would put 1 wire under each. The car only has 1 wire tho. Not sure if I could just use the B1 and disregard the B2. I don't know if it would mess up the amp draw.

Old 04-29-2016, 09:40 AM

Yes onehundred the old alternator was a remanufactured valeo. I guess one of the previous owners of my car ditched the original.

Old 04-29-2016, 06:45 PM

Here are some pics of the old and the new alternators.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_0127.jpg (141.0 KB, 54 views)
IMG_0126.jpg (166.1 KB, 49 views)
IMG_0125.jpg (167.1 KB, 55 views)
IMG_0124.jpg (132.2 KB, 50 views)
IMG_0123.jpg (131.2 KB, 46 views)
IMG_0122.jpg (145.1 KB, 47 views)
Old 04-29-2016, 07:45 PM

Here are some pics of the old and the new alternators.
Here are the alternators by Valeo for the NA and SRT. CLICK
The pulleys look to be different sizes in the photos is that true?
If so you do not want that.

Old 04-29-2016, 07:49 PM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

You'll have a hell of a time getting the power cord hooked to the back of your new alternator. I would return it and try either a different brand or different store altogether. Don't know how many times I've heard of the wrong number of grooves being on the new part. I just hit it with an impact wrench and swap them.

Old 04-29-2016, 07:55 PM
Administrator

Damn! That is not even CLOSE to the right part. I mean, the multipin connector is WAY in the wrong place and not only are there two A+ studs, they are not placed right.

Old 04-30-2016, 02:56 AM
Forum Regular
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had this same issue - we tried swapping pulley's etc. and everything never matched up perfectly. I returned it and ordered the correct one and it went right on with no issues.

Old 04-30-2016, 07:06 AM
Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

I also looked at all the offerings at the local auto parts stores and paid the extra monies for the totally correct part. I hate making incorrect new parts work. My advice is get the correct alternator with the correct pulley like myself and Dementors.

Les

Old 04-30-2016, 07:19 AM
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Another alternative is to give Mike Singer a call about beefing up your original alternator for higher output.

https://www.facebook.com/SingerAlternators/

Last edited by syfi; 04-30-2016 at 11:43 AM.
Old 04-30-2016, 10:13 AM
Administrator

Originally Posted by syfi
Another alternative is to give Mike Singer a call about beefing up you original alternator for higher output.

https://www.facebook.com/SingerAlternators/
Rebuilding your old one means that it WILL ALWAYS fit!

Old 05-01-2016, 07:39 PM

So, i tried to put the alternator on yesterday just for giggles and like everybody said, it would not fit. The end clip on the wire that goes to the B+ terminal was too wide to fit into the inlet on the alternator. I'm gonna take it back to the alternator shop sometime this week and try to exchange it for the right one.

pizza- the old one that was on my car was a re manufactured one, so it is not worth rebuilding.

Old 05-01-2016, 07:50 PM
Administrator

pizza- the old one that was on my car was a re manufactured one, so it is not worth rebuilding.
Well............... ok. I think. But I also think I disagree. Chuk? What is your experience -are rebuilt ones not good candidates for a second rebuild? I can't really say for sure, I was under the impression that rebuilding them more than once was fine.

Old 06-21-2016, 01:23 AM
bdh
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

can you guys tell me if the bosch alt fits in place of the valeo?
Wife car just had the alt go again, I dont want another valeo, unless I have no choice.

Old 06-21-2016, 07:33 AM
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by bdh
Wife car just had the alt go again, I dont want another valeo, unless I have no choice.
Next best choice is find someone that can re-wind the one you got, and you'll have no worries about fit.

Old 06-21-2016, 07:58 AM

Originally Posted by bdh
Valeo makes alternators that fit the NA's and the SRT. I have the Valeo/Bosch cross referenced part numbers on this forum somewhere. Maybe this thread?
Yes this thread, go to post #8 and click on click.
The alternators from the SRT do not fit the NA, different pulley and different plug.

Last edited by onehundred80; 06-21-2016 at 08:04 AM.
Old 06-21-2016, 10:27 AM
Received 67 Likes on 52 Posts

I have a used good srt6 alternator here on the shelf, let me know if your interested in that.