Crossfire SRT6 A place to discuss SRT-6 specific topics.

alternator trouble

Old 06-21-2016, 12:12 PM
bdh
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: alternator trouble

Did some research & the Valeo has what they call a floating stator. All other alternators use a stator that is pressed into the housing. That is why the Valeo is a piece of crap.
Both my srt & wife's na have Valeo. I ordered a Bosch & I am going to check the difference
In the wiring connections.

Old 06-21-2016, 01:22 PM
Received 36 Likes on 35 Posts

Delco alternators have always used a floating stator just clamped between the front and rear halves and they have no problems. Are keyed to the rear section.

I do replace CS-130s with CS-144s.

Old 06-22-2016, 12:10 AM
Received 563 Likes on 473 Posts

Originally Posted by bdh
Did some research & the Valeo has what they call a floating stator. All other alternators use a stator that is pressed into the housing. That is why the Valeo is a piece of crap.
Both my srt & wife's na have Valeo. I ordered a Bosch & I am going to check the difference
In the wiring connections.
I do not think you can say that they are crap, if they had significant troubles with the design they would change it. They are a large company and could not afford the bad reputation. You just got unlucky, my Valeo is fine so far.
My list has the Bosch equivalent part numbers for the Valeos in it for the Crossfire.
Get the wrong electrical connector and you are making things difficult for yourself.

Old 06-22-2016, 12:36 AM
bdh

Well this will be my third Valeo in my wife's car, and my srt is on its second? Never owned a car that needed more than one and I had a lot of cars.
Pressed in stator is always better than a floating one. I will see what is different on the Bosch wiring, and if it is a big deal I will just send it back.

Old 06-22-2016, 06:37 AM
Thumbs up Re: alternator trouble

Originally Posted by bbsrt6
Here are some pics of the old and the new alternators.
cute socks

Old 07-19-2016, 09:59 AM
Forum Regular
Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

I too am studying this thread intently as the pulley bearing on my rescue srt alternator is whining loudly. I ordered the one from rokauto that supposedly fits either valeo or bosch. Called the stealership and read them my VIn and they said both of my srt's have Valeo alternators. I guess I'll find out when we get under it to replace it. I'll refresh the bearings in the old one for a spare....Chuck...call me, I lost your number, had to replace my phone....Peace

Old 07-19-2016, 10:12 AM
Received 36 Likes on 35 Posts

I just rebuild (bearings, brushes, bridge) any that fail and rarely give me any more trouble. I do tend to keep my cars under 190F coolant temp and find that everything under the hood lasts longer.

Since tend to keep cars for decades reliability is important.

GM added blowers on Fieros to keep the alt cool.

Old 07-22-2016, 08:50 AM
Forum Regular
Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Fla_Xfire_SRT
I too am studying this thread intently as the pulley bearing on my rescue srt alternator is whining loudly. I ordered the one from rokauto that supposedly fits either valeo or bosch. Called the stealership and read them my VIn and they said both of my srt's have Valeo alternators. I guess I'll find out when we get under it to replace it. I'll refresh the bearings in the old one for a spare....Chuck...call me, I lost your number, had to replace my phone....Peace
......LIVE and LEARN...No, the RockAuto WAI 13884N alternator which the catalog says will fit Valeo or Bosch...is WRONG..and will be corrected on their website. This alternator, supposedly for the SRT6, comes in with the wrong pulley, the wrong shaft length, and the plug in the wrong position. It is a NEW alternator...Made in China...they obviously do no not have a clue in Beijing...Donald will FIX THAT TOO..!!
I ohmed out the terminals and compared readings to a working but whining Valeo... the electrical readings were miles apart as far as resistance was concerned between the B+ terminal and one of the plug terminals. Long story short...the correct one is on the way and should be here this afternoon.

Old 07-22-2016, 09:02 AM
Received 563 Likes on 473 Posts

Originally Posted by Padgett
I just rebuild (bearings, brushes, bridge) any that fail and rarely give me any more trouble. I do tend to keep my cars under 190F coolant temp and find that everything under the hood lasts longer.

Since tend to keep cars for decades reliability is important.

GM added blowers on Fieros to keep the alt cool.
With the experience you have in rebuilding alternators you could write an article that good become a sticky and also go into my thread which lists the Crossfire problem fixes, see the red link below.
This would hopefully save people money and solve future problems.
We could name sources for all the required parts so they could possibly be purchased before taking the alternator out of the car, and fix within hours.

Old 07-23-2016, 09:34 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Fla_Xfire_SRT- I ended up buying one of the remy alternators from rockauto and it was a perfect match, but I no longer see it listed on their site. It was around $220 with a $90 core charge refund, so after that it was $130. Rockauto goofed when they sent the first one to me though. I ordered the remy with the 8 groove pulley, which it showed in the picture and in the description, and they sent me a remy with a 6 groove pulley that was flush against the alternator itself so it wouldn't even spin. I sent it back and they sent me the right alternator/pulley and its been on the car for a couple months now with no problems (knock on wood). Rockauto was good to me, but I don't like how they have their customer service set up. You can't talk to anyone on the phone if you have a problem. They provide no way to contact customer service via telephone if you have a problem. Instead, they want you to fill out this form and one of their representatives will email you back. Oh well, still better than having to deal with an alternator repairman who claims he can fix your alternator, but then can't get the right parts and takes forever and then wants to charge you for an alternator you can't even use.

Old 07-24-2016, 12:25 PM
Received 401 Likes on 344 Posts

Originally Posted by bbsrt6
Fla_Xfire_SRT- I ended up buying one of the remy alternators from rockauto and it was a perfect match, but I no longer see it listed on their site. It was around $220 with a $90 core charge refund, so after that it was $130. Rockauto goofed when they sent the first one to me though. I ordered the remy with the 8 groove pulley, which it showed in the picture and in the description, and they sent me a remy with a 6 groove pulley that was flush against the alternator itself so it wouldn't even spin. I sent it back and they sent me the right alternator/pulley and its been on the car for a couple months now with no problems (knock on wood). Rockauto was good to me, but I don't like how they have their customer service set up. You can't talk to anyone on the phone if you have a problem. They provide no way to contact customer service via telephone if you have a problem. Instead, they want you to fill out this form and one of their representatives will email you back. Oh well, still better than having to deal with an alternator repairman who claims he can fix your alternator, but then can't get the right parts and takes forever and then wants to charge you for an alternator you can't even use.

Yes rock auto has a weird way of addressing problems with parts that are wrong. Just as posted above, I also had a problem with them when their 'fitment' tool said 'X' would work, but when received 'X' did not work. Filling out the form, you MUST fully document why your 'X' didn't work (Pictures help a lot), and they will get back with you. Glad your situation worked out with the alternator!

One thing I learned from the last three dealings with rock auto, they do not package parts very well. If your box is damaged in any way, make sure you have it documented on the delivery ticket (if you meet the truck). When you open the box, fully inspect the item. Physical damage resulting from inadequate packaging is a lot easier to return when you have good quality digital pictures (dated) when you open/inspect the item. I would NEVER try to install a damaged item, it just compounds trouble for you trying to get them to replace it. I would also suggest you DO NOT take apart your vehicle UNTIL your satisfied the item is correct and not damaged. This makes it a lot easier to return the wrong or shipping damaged item. Although you cannot tell until installed (if the item does not work as intended), you will have narrowed down the exact reason (protected yourself) with them, for a replacement.

Old 07-26-2016, 04:28 PM
Forum Regular
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I also bought one from rock auto last week and Monday they sent me a refund saying no longer in stock and thier web site showed 2 at the time I paid for it ... They are hard to find and most say they fit but don't or pay big money for Dealership so I bought a used one from Rob at needswings parts ....