Exterior & Lighting Any questions related to exterior, lighting and styling go in here.

The quest for canbus LEDs in the tail lights

Old 04-10-2013, 10:11 PM
Forum Regular
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default The quest for canbus LEDs in the tail lights

Hey guys, so I haven't posted a new topic in a while, but I felt I needed to ask this question of ya.

Where in GODS name can I find a set of LEDs for the tail lights that are also canbus enabled so I don't have to mess with the resistors and whatnot.

My Xfire currently has the 6000k license plate LEDs, all 4 side markers converted to LEDs, interior neon green LEDs, and 6000k HIDs(thanks to rudy-rcompart for the HID install).

Yeah, I know there's other threads around the forum about tail light LEDs, but none with canbus enabled ones that I could find.

I found these from superbright's site, and the are the brightest canbus ones I could find so far:http://www.superbrightleds.com/morei...ed-tower-/814/

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMAG0390.jpg (1.12 MB, 49 views)

Last edited by Adrian_X; 04-10-2013 at 11:01 PM.
Old 04-10-2013, 11:05 PM
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Wink Re: The quest for canbus LEDs in the tail lights

Originally Posted by Adrian_X
Where in GODS name can I find a set of LEDs for the tail lights that are also canbus enabled so I don't have to mess with the resistors and whatnot.

I found these from superbright's site, and the are the brightest canbus ones I could find so far:1157 LED Bulb - Dual Intensity 45 SMD LED Tower | LED Brake Light, Turn Light and Tail Light Bulbs | LED Car Bulbs | Super Bright LEDs
How about these...

2005 Chrysler Crossfire Euro & LED Taillights

Old 04-10-2013, 11:09 PM
Forum Regular
Default Re: The quest for canbus LEDs in the tail lights

I already saw those from lumen, and they were one of my options until Mr Miata decided to go ahead and slap me in the face with the exact lumen rating of the regular bulbs the crossfire comes with in the tail lights. They output at 400/90 lumen for second and first stage respectively. So the lumen target would be at least 100/400 in an LED bulb.

1157 CAN Bus LED Bulb - Dual Intensity 26 SMD LED Tower | LED Brake Light, Turn Light and Tail Light Bulbs | LED Car Bulbs | Super Bright LEDs - these are putting out 100/420 lumen, but that's in the 6000k temperature, which would make the tail lights pink right?

Old 04-10-2013, 11:43 PM
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by syfi

Okay let's see if we can put this search to rest.. I'll pull the trigger on one here and lets just see what we get results wise.. I can order another one later if it's a winner..

Hmm.. think we'll do this tomorrow.. went to order.. one 1157 is tail light... one 1157 is brake light.. think I'll see if I can find both in one bulb.. LOL.
Even though it says for Chrysler Crossfire... Ebay has listing for the Crossfire turbo intercoolers..

Last edited by Mrmiata; 04-10-2013 at 11:51 PM.
Old 04-10-2013, 11:50 PM
Forum Regular

If you wanna experiment with one to get an idea of just how much LED power we need from one bulb, then I will gladly wait for the results. In the mean time, you were saying something about not using 6000k temperature LEDs because itll make the tail lights pink?

Old 04-10-2013, 11:53 PM

If you wanna experiment with one to get an idea of just how much LED power we need from one bulb, then I will gladly wait for the results. In the mean time, you were saying something about not using 6000k temperature LEDs because itll make the tail lights pink?
I believe Waldig made a notation to that effect.. or at least he wasn't happy with the results.. there is a thread where he tested several.. but nothing canbus compatible if I recall correctly.

Old 04-10-2013, 11:58 PM
Forum Regular

I'm gonna try to find that thread to look at the results, but this one 1157 CAN Bus LED Bulb - Dual Intensity 26 SMD LED Tower | LED Brake Light, Turn Light and Tail Light Bulbs | LED Car Bulbs | Super Bright LEDs
This thing has a lumen rating of 420/100 in the 6000k temp range, which is basically spot on with the regular bulbs.

Old 04-11-2013, 12:07 AM

Sent an email to carid .. hopefully will have a purchase option in the morning.

Old 04-11-2013, 12:16 AM
Forum Regular

Great, now we just play the waiting game hahah

Anyway, anyone else wanna chime in if my link I posted above is worth it? The LED does put out 420/100 lumens, which is what we are technically after here.

Last edited by Adrian_X; 04-11-2013 at 12:55 AM.
Old 04-12-2013, 11:20 PM
Forum Regular

Bump.

Anything yet MrMiata? I just finished doing an overhaul on my friend's Crown Vic with LEDs for all the light's except the tail lights too, and he's looking for ones that look bright enough and a deep enough red for the tail end as well.

Old 04-12-2013, 11:22 PM

Bump.

Anything yet MrMiata? I just finished doing an overhaul on my friend's Crown Vic with LEDs for all the light's except the tail lights too, and he's looking for ones that look bright enough and a deep enough red for the tail end as well.
I guess email questions don't rank high on there list.. not a peep from them..

Old 04-12-2013, 11:28 PM
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Watching this with interest... I'd like to rid the rear lamp assemblies of the egg-yolk look of the turn signals... would love to do LED conversion and simply have white diodes until they flash.

One day, once we iron all this out, we need to have a concise "database" of which LED bulbs can be used in place of the OEM incandescent bulbs. And by database, I mean a simple table

Old 04-12-2013, 11:35 PM

Originally Posted by JHM2K
Watching this with interest... I'd like to rid the rear lamp assemblies of the egg-yolk look of the turn signals... would love to do LED conversion and simply have white diodes until they flash.

One day, once we iron all this out, we need to have a concise "database" of which LED bulbs can be used in place of the OEM incandescent bulbs. And by database, I mean a simple table
I think the turn signals are going to stay egg yolk unless you want to go hyperflash or resistor. I prefer the hyperflash. Figure I'm good for a couple days with the hazards on.. LOL.

Old 04-12-2013, 11:42 PM
Forum Regular

Hahaha, the hazards got me lol

Yeah we definitely need to list all the LEDs that work. Do you still wanna just order one bulb miata and see where we stand?

EDIT: http://www.superbrightleds.com/cat/l...2-423--528376/

That's the list for the flasher stabilizers to bring them back to normal flashing state. Just in case you wanna put them on your rides guys

Last edited by Adrian_X; 04-12-2013 at 11:45 PM.
Old 04-12-2013, 11:52 PM

Hahaha, the hazards got me lol

Yeah we definitely need to list all the LEDs that work. Do you still wanna just order one bulb miata and see where we stand?

EDIT: 2004 Chrysler Crossfire Installation Accessories LED Replacement Bulbs | LED Lights for Cars | 12v | Super Bright LEDs

That's the list for the flasher stabilizers to bring them back to normal flashing state. Just in case you wanna put them on your rides guys

Wondered about the flasher.. those are old school.. researched the Miata.. seems a little resistor across it's board fixes.. So then it was HMMM... well ours is buried up inside.. you guessed it.. Lighting control module which looks like a MAJOR PITA to even get eyes on.. and Heaven knows what it would take to modify.

Heading to Texas Motor Speedway in the morning.. So probably let this lay till after the races.. But then It will be time to pick something out and get it in the door.. After doing tinted LED tail lights to the Tahoe.. wish I had a set of spare tail lights to cut up and epoxy a panel in!
Just don't have big enough ones like some guys to just say Bonzi ! LOL

Old 04-13-2013, 12:16 AM
Forum Regular

Alright, because I wanna have us finally find a good set of CANBUS tail light LEDs which are as bright or brighter than stock. Seems this is one of those areas where people kinda gave up on, but I won't quit till something gives ya know.

Old 04-13-2013, 09:36 AM

Dear Greg,

Thank you for giving us the opportunity to service your automotive needs! I will be more than happy to answer your question regarding the product for your vehicle.

Here is the item you are looking for: http://www.carid.com/universal-led-lights/lumen-led-bulbs-3674950.html

If you have any other questions please feel free to contact me directly via the email address or phone number below.

Welcome to the CARiD family and thank you again for your interest in our products. We are looking forward to a long lasting relationship with both you and your vehicle!

Old 04-13-2013, 09:40 AM

I'm thinking the one with the 5 led's facing rear ward would be the better option here.. 3 reviews on the carid link are happy with that one so I guess it could be a second choice if this one gets a fail..

1157 CAN Bus LED Bulb - Dual Intensity 26 SMD LED Tower | LED Brake Light, Turn Light and Tail Light Bulbs | LED Car Bulbs | Super Bright LEDs

Old 04-13-2013, 10:11 AM

These are the one's Waldig recommended , but it's add a resistor time.. Notice the lumen output?

2X Bright Red CREE Q5 7W SMD LED Auto Tail Brake Park 1157 BAY15D 12V DC New | eBay

And here's a link to help tie the LED quest of threads together..

https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum...-half-lit.html

https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum...ight-good.html

Last edited by Mrmiata; 04-13-2013 at 10:16 AM.
Old 04-13-2013, 11:11 AM
Forum Regular

Yeah the one from superbrightleds.com with the 420 lumen output was one of my choices for this thread earlier above. So you wanted to order the other one from carID? or the one from superbright?

EDIT: Btw, thanks again Miata for helping me with putting the things together so everyone can have just 1 thread to look at for this. I really think CANBUS LEDs for the tail lights is a good investment, even if they run us $40 a pair.

Last edited by Adrian_X; 04-13-2013 at 11:22 AM.

Quick Reply: The quest for canbus LEDs in the tail lights