Exterior & Lighting Any questions related to exterior, lighting and styling go in here.

The quest for canbus LEDs in the tail lights

Old 04-19-2013, 07:48 PM
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Re: The quest for canbus LEDs in the tail lights

Yes.. she's dirty.. lol. Rural living after storms.

Okay.. you have to work with them to get them shoved in the hole.. at least I did with the short wiring leads to the socket. Good news.. No canbus error on the brake light. Bad news...error with the running lights. Realized I didn't need lights this morning.. used them last night.. checked all lights.. working. Will wrestle it out of the hole in a little bit and check "light out" again. If all is good will email vendor and see what they have to say. Camara needless to say doesn't give "full" view.. but they do look good on the car! Will snap a couple more shots at dusk with one stock and one LED.

Old 04-19-2013, 07:51 PM
Forum Regular
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Ahhh, damn. So they error out on running lights. Well, let's see if they respond to your email with anything useful lol. Can't wait for the pics at dusk/night time though

Old 04-19-2013, 07:57 PM

Originally Posted by Adrian_X
Ahhh, damn. So they error out on running lights. Well, let's see if they respond to your email with anything useful lol. Can't wait for the pics at dusk/night time though
I'm going to swap the two LED's around when I pull it out to "make sure with a stock bulb" on the canbus error. Then I'll try all combinations per say to make sure .. imbalance with only one or any other bases to cover before emailing vendor. Sitting here right now.. even at the price of these.. it's a toss up whether I would live with "light out" or send them back..

Old 04-19-2013, 08:00 PM
Forum Regular

I'd say send them back if you can't get them to stay error free. So right now you only have 1 LED in right? Maybe that's why the error is popping up?

Old 04-19-2013, 08:06 PM

Correct.. 1 LED.. doubt full that is the reason, but like I say intend to cover all bases before raising my hand to report an issue. It was dinner time..so let it alone at what it was.. time to go swap led's.. "Maybe" it's just a bad canbus circuit on the one.. will report back after a while on them.

Old 04-19-2013, 08:08 PM
Forum Regular

Alright, I'll be making my decision based on what you find and from the dark pics youll post soon.

Old 04-19-2013, 08:38 PM

Okay.. played swap the bulbs every way you can.. OEM bulb..no error.. LED's.. error..
But on the good side.. LOL.. with the running lights and the reflectors and configuration.. Looks like a handful of little red stars thrown in there.. Wife even gives it a thumbs up.. "Dusk" pics in an hour or so. Output seems to be slightly better than stock.
See if this helps.. on a scale of 1-10 .. oem being 5 .. I'd give LED's a 6.

Old 04-19-2013, 08:45 PM
Forum Regular

Damn it all, why must they throw an error code with running lights, but not with the brake applied?!??!?!? UGH

Well this sucks.

Old 04-19-2013, 08:47 PM

My sentiments exactly.. there was no way I was going to hang resistors all over like decorating a Christmas tree... but I might be willing to add one per light.. dunno.. have to think on it..

Old 04-19-2013, 08:50 PM
Forum Regular

Even so, post the darkness pics just so we have a reference of the brightness at least.

Old 04-19-2013, 09:54 PM

Okay more pics in the album.. Like I said.. camera really doesn't pick up the difference.. If it wasn't for the canbus error I'd be satisfied with them.

Still LH LED RH OEM

Old 04-19-2013, 10:02 PM
Forum Regular

They look to be bright enough to actually be better than stock, sigh. Well this really sucks because I thought we finally found a replacement with canbus working right. Email superbright and ask em what they can do about it, maybe we can work a deal with them to modify them?

Old 04-19-2013, 10:22 PM

Posted on their facebook page.. figured that might be a quicker response route. Decisions decisions ... LOL. Yes all around would be keepers without a doubt if it wasn't for the error.. Just have to see what their thoughts are on them for now.

Old 04-19-2013, 11:27 PM
Forum Regular

Yeah, I'll bug them on their FB page too if need be. This canbus thing cannot be that hard to get solved for them.

BTW, can you take a couple pics at night time? Just curious as to how they look at night lol

Old 04-19-2013, 11:37 PM

I don't think I'm too far off base in saying it's pretty much a built in resistor thing.. apparently just not a high enough load built in. Now how complex that becomes to resolve is not my ball park. I have a feeling at this point the only "resolution" they can offer is a refund. Now "knowing" the output on these is totally acceptable vrs another quest .. Well your turn.. LOL

And make it soon since they would probably want these back within a week or so..

Old 04-19-2013, 11:42 PM
Forum Regular

I'm on it right now, looking at some options as we speak (err, type).

Old 04-20-2013, 12:00 AM

I'm starting to think "canbus error free" is a crap shoot with our cars. Chinese blinkers I got were listed as such.. Got hyper flash.. pretty much expected.. but even put in backup lights..canbus error. Then purchase high dollar focused lens blinkers.. canbus error free.. singled out to just them.. still hyper flash.. but no canbus error in backup light position.
"Thought" led backup lights would only error out when in reverse.. wrong.. one bulb glowed full time when car was on... error light full time also.. added a 25w ceramic resistor (had one on hand) to the passenger side bulb circuit and no more error light till in reverse.. which was livable .. had added the waldig 2w 100 ohms suggestion to no avail. actually wired three in series and still had error light. Thinking about it.. since I still have those laying around.. I might try adding one in on the tail light circuit just for grins. Being the small resister it wouldn't be so invasive to have back there.

Old 04-20-2013, 12:19 AM
Forum Regular

I just dunno jack about adding resistors and stuff, so I would need to have someone do it for me on the tail lights :\

Anyone in the Chicago area willing to help me put on resistors to the tail light LED bulbs then?

Old 04-20-2013, 12:26 AM

Pictures worth a thousand words.. if it works i'll post it up..

Old 04-20-2013, 12:27 AM
Forum Regular

So you'll wire up resistors to the leds you just got? Well, if this works, we might just have to stick with the resistor thing.

EDIT: what about these bulbs with resistors attached?
http://www.hid-lights.com/cat/LED-1157.htm

scroll all the way down, the 68 LED bulb in red?

Ohh crap hold up, scratch that one above, check this out! http://www.ebay.com/itm/2x-CANBUS-ER...-/300780205297

Last edited by Adrian_X; 04-20-2013 at 12:43 AM.

Quick Reply: The quest for canbus LEDs in the tail lights