Exterior & Lighting Any questions related to exterior, lighting and styling go in here.

Headlight problems

Old 10-22-2013, 11:30 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Headlight problems

Ok forum members I desperately need some help. I bought an 06 roadster in August and while driving it home I discovered that while the headlights appear to be working they dont throw any light down the road. The high beams seem to work fine but the low beams have some kind of problem. Today I spent $430 on an HID system with 6K bulbs and it doesnt seem to be much better than my old bulbs. The HID bulbs appear to be working when you look at them head on but they only throw a weak greenish tinted light about 20 feet in front of the car. I didnt change the high beams, and as before they work great, and the fog lights with the HID bulbs also seem to work fine, but the low beams throw so little light that unless I keep my speed under 25 mph I am over driving the headlights. Has anyone heard of this problem or have any ideas, I dont know what to do next and I cant drive the car at night.

Old 10-22-2013, 11:48 PM
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Re: Headlight problems

Originally Posted by Mace
Ok forum members I desperately need some help. I bought an 06 roadster in August and while driving it home I discovered that while the headlights appear to be working they dont throw any light down the road. The high beams seem to work fine but the low beams have some kind of problem. Today I spent $430 on an HID system with 6K bulbs and it doesnt seem to be much better than my old bulbs. The HID bulbs appear to be working when you look at them head on but they only throw a weak greenish tinted light about 20 feet in front of the car. I didnt change the high beams, and as before they work great, and the fog lights with the HID bulbs also seem to work fine, but the low beams throw so little light that unless I keep my speed under 25 mph I am over driving the headlights. Has anyone heard of this problem or have any ideas, I dont know what to do next and I cant drive the car at night.
That doesn't make sense since you say the highs are ok. Have they been correctly aimed? Both Hi and Lo move when the aiming screw is turned but I would set them using a grid and see what happens. It sounds like they may have become disconnected from the screw, there is a thread about the fix for that, you might find that the Hi's are actually low also.

Old 10-23-2013, 10:57 AM
Received 543 Likes on 459 Posts

Originally Posted by JEFASOLD
That doesn't make sense since you say the highs are ok. Have they been correctly aimed? Both Hi and Lo move when the aiming screw is turned but I would set them using a grid and see what happens. It sounds like they may have become disconnected from the screw, there is a thread about the fix for that, you might find that the Hi's are actually low also.
He has put the bulbs in wrong, that is the usual cause of his problem.

Old 10-23-2013, 11:08 AM

I'm not sure what you mean about the bulbs being in "wrong" How can I tell if they are in wrong or right?

Old 10-23-2013, 11:09 AM
Received 153 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by Mace
I'm not sure what you mean about the bulbs being in "wrong" How can I tell if they are in wrong or right?
If the bulb tab is not in the slot, then the bulb is in wrong.

Old 10-23-2013, 09:29 PM
Forum Regular

This is the best way to inspect the correct iunstallation of those bulbs. Take the bulb out and you will see that it has a **** on it. Now use an inspection mirror and look inside the housing where the bulb goes. You will see that it is slotted and has a recess that the **** fits into. Orient the bulb accordingly and slide it into the housing. When it is correctly installed; you will not be able to rotate it in the housing. Hope this helps!

James