Racing The place to talk about autocrossing, road and drag racing.

XF SRT-6 at Road Atlanta - Disappointment

Old 03-07-2010, 08:57 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default XF SRT-6 at Road Atlanta - Disappointment

New-used owner.
25,000 miles on a stock car.
I've owned the car for a mere 8 weeks and was looking forward to seeing what 330hp would equate to in speed down the long RA back straightaway as my little BMW race car tops out at 120mph (a Spec e30 car with a whopping 150hp).

Long story short version...Max speed was 135mph but it fell off before the end of the straightaway. That was the 1 good lap. One good lap out of about 25 before I parked the (deleted) thing and vowed to get the answer(s) from a group that has experience (that's this forum).

For the balance of the weekend it would fall off (just miserable low power) and it was good for a whopping 110mph.

Likely there is something in the engine management system that is causing it to fall off in power.

Likely you guys have answered this before,but please help this newby.

Regards, Robert Patton

PS, to noavail, the ABS and ESC fuses were pulled out in one of the run sessions.

Old 03-07-2010, 09:01 PM
Received 79 Likes on 63 Posts
Default Re: XF SRT-6 at Road Atlanta-Dissapointment

Sorry I don't own an SRT....... yet.

But as I have read here before, was the IC coolant pump working properly?

James

Last edited by James1549; 03-07-2010 at 09:08 PM.
Old 03-07-2010, 09:04 PM
Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by RPatton
New-used owner.
25,000 miles on a stock car.
I've owned the car for a mere 8 weeks and was looking forward to seeing what 330hp would equate to in speed down the long RA back straightaway as my little BMW race car tops out at 120mph (a Spec e30 car with a whopping 150hp).

Long story short version...Max speed was 135mph but it fell off before the end of the straightaway. That was the 1 good lap. One good lap out of about 25 before I parked the (deleted) thing and vowed to get the answer(s) from a group that has experience (that's this forum).

For the balance of the weekend it would fall off (just miserable low power) and it was good for a whopping 110mph.

Likely there is something in the engine management system that is causing it to fall off in power.

Likely you guys have answered this before,but please help this newby.

Regards, Robert Patton

PS, to noavail, the ABS and ESC fuses were pulled out in one of the run sessions.
inter cooler pump failure....it gets hot, sensor says, shut down super charger, thus no power....have the ic pump replaced, also double check IC sensor, they can go bad as well...use the search feature on here, to read many many cases of this happening....there are a couple of better pumps you can replace the stock pump with...Johnson would be the preferred by many on here

Old 03-07-2010, 09:49 PM

Gee, that's fast. Thanks guys.
One last check...sometimes it would pull as expected, but then drop off.
I'd say that the longest pull was from t5to t6 at Road Atlanta which equates to maybe 1/2 of a mile.

So look at I/C cooling circuit?

I'll start my search...

Also, have othes done track events with SRT-6s? Let's hear about some fun experiences. Perhaps I'll see you at NASA events or BMWCCA events in the southeast.

Thanks, RP

Old 03-07-2010, 09:59 PM
Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

I run my SRT on track days (20 minute heats) and the hotter the car gets the slower it goes. It still goes pretty good however. My coolant temps hit 225º. Unfortunately I never logged the IAT's until after I changed my H/E and don't know what they normally run on a high speed track. In the 1/4 mile they reach 160º. At the autox they reached 142º or around there. My logs show the hotter the IAT's the less timing the computer allows. So, find a way to keep the IAT's cooler and you'll go faster.

Les

Old 03-07-2010, 10:28 PM
Received 61 Likes on 49 Posts

Yo Rob. Welcome to the forum!
What you are experiencing with the car has affected many of us. The car will shutdown the supercharger when it senses a problem. In this case it appears the air intake temps are too high for some reason. Experience tells us that the high temps could be caused by bad intercooler pump, bad air temp sensor or poor air flow through the heat exchanger. Of course there are other possibilities, bad IC pump fuse, clogged IC, clogged heat exchanger, pinched water hose...
Let us know which it was for your car. Have included an old post of mine ref the pump vs air flow fix.

Originally Posted by tighed1
Don't be so quick to jump on the IC pump bandwagon.
Others have found problems with the air temp sensor to cause the same symptoms.

I had the same problem and was told that the IC pump was going bad and to get a Johnson Pump to cure my problem. So I spent $170 got the pump, installed it and...you guessed it, same problem.
Woody told me to move the heat exchanger higher up into the air flow (free mod). I did that and have been problem free ever since. That includes while running stacked pulleys.
Might be worth a try. Worked for me!

Of course now I'm running the Super Cooler on both cars. Still no overtemp problems!

Old 03-08-2010, 12:39 PM
Forum Regular

I road race at Putnam Park (home course) and have been to Mid Ohio and was just in Nashville this weekend. I've not ever noticed my car getting slower; (but I carry a Johnson Pump with me.)
I would, however, recommend some more mods as you are going to tear your car up. If you haven't done this already, put on metal brake lines, Motol 600 brake fluid (or equivalent) and big, big brakes as you'll need them coming off the straight into your turn wherever you are at. I have Stop Techs and am using Carbotech brake pads (WONDERFUL.) I never smell my brakes. Lower your car (I used KW and Koni's) and my suspension is set right in the middle for road racing. For autocross, you'll need to tighten it up more. If you are going to do a lot of road racing, then put in 5 point harneses in both seats (just in case you have an instructor.) Our stock seats are OK, but I'm now starting to think that I'll need to go to racing seats in the future, but I'm still dragging my feet on that. I use Michelins Sport Cups for the best stick on the track. But, they aren't cheap. Just bought 2 fronts for $735.00. However, my safety is important to me and when you are a track chick, you can't screw up cause the men will let me know that women shouldn't be on the track.
I'm having problems with rear bearings. Have had the Right side replaced, but my left rear just went out this weekend. Not sure why, so I'll be on the forum researching if there is a TSB on this. If anyone knows of anything, please let me know.
Good luck on your road racing. As you already know, there will always be something not right with the Crossfire, but I still like it on the track and the car continues to surprise a lot of people. However, road racing is hard on any car, so be prepared for perpetual maintenence. I have a Crossfire mechanic and a racing mechanic who is a Benz mechanic, so I'm lucky to have their support.

Old 03-08-2010, 12:58 PM

Thanks to all that responded.

Still want to hear of those track experiences. And,, thanks Jane for the track tips. I'm not going to spend too much (if anything) on track-prepping the XF, just drive it to an ocassional event where I insrtuct, but not race. So, I'll be taking it easy when in the XF.

I'll save all of that track prep and dollars for the Spec E30 race car (www.spece30.com).

If you are in the southeast come and join me on-track...just be sure to make those modifications that Jane mentioned if you seriously "track" the car.

Regards, Robert Patton

Old 03-08-2010, 01:06 PM
Forum Regular

Sorry, I didn't realize you were an instructor. I really didn't need to tell you all about my mods. I will be doing a Chump Car race at Nashville on May 1st. If you are in the area, let me know. Where else do you instruct at?

Old 03-08-2010, 02:23 PM

Instructor or not, I don't know the XF's shortcommings...Thanks to all, again!
You'll find me at tracks in and around Atlanta.

Been to Nashville only once.

RP

Old 03-08-2010, 04:18 PM

In stock form the car has understeer. It's made worse by the larger tires in the rear. It can be a challenge getting on the gas early without a LSD. I thought the stock brakes were quite good so I've only changed the pads, brake lines and use racing fluid. I only see 120 mph on the track I have available so you have to take that into account. I also use Michelin Pilot Sport Cups. 235/40/18 and 265/35/19 with a 10mm spacer in the front. I'm running -2.2º camber in the front with 0 toe and -2º in the rear. I can't remember the toe in the rear but it's not much. The car is lowered 1/2 inch in the front and 1-1/2 in the rear. I also had a rear strut bar fabbed up. The car is nicely balanced now in the corners but the negative camber in the rear makes getting on the gas early even trickier. The biggest improvement I made was the adjustable Koni shocks. The Eibach springs are more for looks than performance IMO even though the drop has to have helped some. My car will push if I touch the brakes while cornering. It seems real happy on the gas in the corners so I often over brake a hair so I can be on the gas throughout the entire corner. I haven't experienced any overheating of the transmission or powersteering. Engine temps get up to 225º on my car. I've never experienced the supercharger cutting out but the stability control has kicked in a few time even with the traction control off. If you want to know anything in particular just ask and I'll be happy to share. This is the first car I've tracked and I'm still learning but these are my observations.

Les

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
img_0806.jpg (163.1 KB, 19 views)
Old 03-08-2010, 06:28 PM
Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

A lot of great advice...but you get your overheating problem solved, and you will see a very different car....get yourself a new CAI, maybe a pulley change, and tune....just those 3 things alone will change your car for the better...read thru the threads....you will get a lot of different opinions on which way to go, but most will agree, these 3 mods will help you greatly...good luck, and like DJ said earlier, let us know what it was....

Old 03-08-2010, 07:40 PM

Originally Posted by oledoc2u
A lot of great advice...but you get your overheating problem solved, and you will see a very different car....get yourself a new CAI, maybe a pulley change, and tune....just those 3 things alone will change your car for the better...read thru the threads....you will get a lot of different opinions on which way to go, but most will agree, these 3 mods will help you greatly...good luck, and like DJ said earlier, let us know what it was....

Will do. Thank you all for the helpful input. Looks like I need a XF mentor in Atlanta to help me understand the car's quirks.

If you're in the southeast...well its time to bring your car to a track event. Let me know if there is interest. Track days information...NASA Pro Racing Site News & Content.

Have fun, Robert Patton

Old 03-08-2010, 08:39 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Will do. Thank you all for the helpful input. Looks like I need a XF mentor in Atlanta to help me understand the car's quirks.

If you're in the southeast...well its time to bring your car to a track event. Let me know if there is interest. Track days information...NASA Pro Racing Site News & Content.

Have fun, Robert Patton
give jason cummings at buckhead imports a call . he knows all about the xfires and what to do to make the most out of your car. if you get tired of going in circles hollar at bmaorgan or buggin from warner robbins . they will show you how these cars go really fast in a straight line!!

Old 03-09-2010, 05:06 PM
Default Re: XF SRT-6 at Road Atlanta - Disappointment

32, thanks for the lead on Jason.

When it comes time for horsepower modifications, rather than reinvent the wheel, I'll log-on and ask for the most cost effective "prescription for power."

Or, if you feel like typing and noone has submitted such before, go ahead and write it up! Newbees and vendors alike will appreciate the text.

Regards, Robert Patton

Old 03-30-2010, 01:33 PM

Three week update: It was the intercooler pump. Replaced with the inexpensive Ford SVO pump thanks to the info on this site.

Thanks, again, to all that responded, Robert Patton

Old 03-30-2010, 04:55 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Three week update: It was the intercooler pump. Replaced with the inexpensive Ford SVO pump thanks to the info on this site.

Thanks, again, to all that responded, Robert Patton
now pulley intakes and tune and you have a lightweight car that lays down around 350 rwhp!!

Old 03-30-2010, 05:45 PM

Now go catch yourself a M3!

Les

Old 03-30-2010, 07:21 PM

yeah, you should see a drastic difference. My 3-series is slow as hell compared to the SRT... which has smoked several M roadsters and M3s. Once you get it running, you'll know it.
-steve