Racing The place to talk about autocrossing, road and drag racing.

Track video from chase car

Old 03-24-2015, 01:36 AM
Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts
Default Track video from chase car

I'll post my video later but for now here's a view from a friend of mine. Not my finest day but not entirely my fault. I'm still rubbing the inner fenders both front and rear. The front was bad enough that I had to brake early to maintain full control and not have another "incident". The suspension feels good, I like it. It seems I'm out of upper adjustment in the front. I lift it a couple of turns and drive, measure again and it's the same height as before …… I'll get it sorted out. I'm leaving some speed on the table in the eses before the bridge, I've done a 360 there before and I'm working back up to speed. Enough excuses, I like what I see in the video for the most part. I did a couple of small drifts that you may see, the car was low on gas (1/4 tank) and was starving for fuel coming out of a couple of corners. When it coughed and came back it shocked the rear tires a bit. Enjoy!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MDt-...ature=youtu.be

Les

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_1870.JPG (141.2 KB, 41 views)
File Type: jpg
IMG_1871.JPG (100.7 KB, 40 views)

Last edited by velociabstract; 03-27-2015 at 09:08 PM.
Old 03-24-2015, 02:47 PM
Forum Regular
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Track video from chase car

The rubbing isn't a suspension thing, its a chassis thing. The car was designed to run a smaller tire in the front and the only way to rectify this is a more aggressive offset on the wheel or spacers. In order to do this you either need to roll the hell out of the fenders or use a flare in the front. This chassis does not make it easy to run wider tires that's for sure.

Old 03-24-2015, 02:52 PM
Forum Regular

After watching your video you have a lot of body roll and the car is transitioning too fast. We have the rears on full stiff and and the fronts 1/2 from full stiff. You may need to go full stiff all the way around as your car is heavier than ours.

We also went with a much less aggressive brake pad in the front and the rear. We are running the stoptec BBK all the way around and it is so big that the pads we were using were causing some serious nose dive. Once we changed out the pads the braking was improved and I was able to brake later and deeper with more confidence. It also fixed alot of the handling issues we were having particularly turn in oversteer, this was due to the fact that the car was more neutral at turn in and allowed the car to be more settled throughout the entire corner with way less weight transfer from front to rear which allwed for a noticeable improvement in corner entry and mid corner speed.......corner exit, well that's a completly different issue

Last edited by hustler316; 03-24-2015 at 03:01 PM.
Old 03-24-2015, 02:54 PM

Agreed. The 245 fits but the front can't be lowered aggressively without some rubbing. Not a problem on the street with street tires. Track rubber changes things up a bit.

Les

Old 03-24-2015, 03:03 PM
Forum Regular

True, track rubber is a different beast. If you measure the actual width of your track tires verses street tires of the same size there is a huge difference.

Old 03-24-2015, 03:20 PM

XP12 front and XP8 rear with no complaints. I'll stiffen the shocks and give it a tryout. My car is slightly loose with light throttle in the eses. I can really feel the front tire grab the pavement on turn in. So far no understeer. ***** at the wheel syndrome perhaps? Oversteer on exit if not careful. I switched to a 3:27 rear gear recently. Now I exit the long sweeping corner in 3rd instead of the top of 2nd. Under the bridge I used to downshift to 2nd and now the car stays in 3rd. Time will tell if the change was worth it.

Les

Old 03-24-2015, 06:15 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I know zero about auto-x and road racing, so I cannot chime in on a lot that was mentioned about. I will say, that I really wish I would have got into this, rather than drag racing. Looks like soooooooo much more fun. 10-15 minutes of track time, rather than 10-15 secs. Maybe I will take my wife's R53 when she needs a bigger car.

Old 03-24-2015, 06:21 PM

The video was after a yellow flag about the 10 minute mark so your seeing the 2nd half of the second heat. It's a real blast and best of all you can participate with just about any car in good condition. At any age, hint hint. Of course, it's so much more fun with a Crossfire. People pee themselves in disbelief.

Les

Old 03-24-2015, 06:33 PM
Received 543 Likes on 459 Posts

Originally Posted by velociabstract
The video was after a yellow flag about the 10 minute mark so your seeing the 2nd half of the second heat. It's a real blast and best of all you can participate with just about any car in good condition. At any age, hint hint. Of course, it's so much more fun with a Crossfire. People pee themselves in disbelief.

Les
Keep up the good work, we live vicariously through your efforts.
What was the guy driving, he had a different line through most corners.
Was he capable of passing you, he was quite smooth.

Old 03-24-2015, 07:13 PM

He needed help to catch me (traffic) and I'm a touch faster. I lifted and let him by for a couple of reasons. I was low on gas and was starving for fuel from time to time coming off the corners. My brakes were getting soft. I couldn't brake as late as I wanted because of the interference with the front tires and fender wells. That's how I wrecked my car in the first place. The braking zones are where he made up ground. Having given all the "excuses" factual, no lies, he got close enough that I let him pass me. Rules of the game. He's a good guy. Different line, front wheel drive. I'll post my video soon.

Les

Old 03-24-2015, 08:10 PM
SSB SRT6 405hp/401Tq
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes...I do love watching your videos Les. Another perspective from a following car is neat too. Keep the hammer down but be safe. I still have the matching mirror for the other side too if you ever need it....hopefully not. Now that I've sold my car I wont be needing it..... ever!!

Old 03-24-2015, 08:25 PM

Your mirror can't thank you enough for your generosity. It's living a great life of excitement on an exotic island. The sights that reflect from it are of infinite gratitude. I'm working on my video as we speak but it's going to be a while. (no nerd deficiencies).

Les

Old 03-25-2015, 06:47 AM

Heres my video which starts more or less at the same time as the chase car video. Give an interesting contrast.

Les

Old 03-26-2015, 12:05 PM
Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by SparkieSRT6
Now that I've sold my car I wont be needing it..... ever!!
Well Steve, I know you were THINKING about selling but didn't know you had gone through with the sale. Good luck to you on all your future trails . . .

Old 03-26-2015, 08:52 PM
SSB SRT6 405hp/401Tq
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RED DOG
Well Steve, I know you were THINKING about selling but didn't know you had gone through with the sale. Good luck to you on all your future trails . . .

Bob, thank you for the well wishes. I will still be hanging around here from time to time and will still be getting together with the great group of Crossfire friends that I have met during the last 5 years of ownership. Thank again.

Old 03-27-2015, 12:30 AM
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by SparkieSRT6
Bob, thank you for the well wishes. I will still be hanging around here from time to time and will still be getting together with the great group of Crossfire friends that I have met during the last 5 years of ownership. Thank again.

Didn't realize you were even looking to sell her! Do stop in and say hi every now and then by all means!

As they say - the cars bring us together.. but the friendships last well beyond being an owner.

Old 03-31-2015, 07:49 PM

Love that camera angle. And shooting through the walls at the 4:07 mark has to raise the pucker factor!