Southeast Forum Serving AL, FL, GA, KY, NC, SC, TN.

Transmission Problems

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2014, 12:12 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transmission Problems

I just bought a 2005 Crossfire on Saturday it has 89,000 mile, and immediately after buying it I put it on the road and drove 2 hours away to the outlets to do some Christmas shopping. When i got off on the exit to get to the out lets i notice that the transmission would not shift out of gear it was stuck in one gear so i immediately pulled over turned the car of for about 2 minutes cut it back and it drove like normal. Now it drive like normal but when i get to about 40mph it kinda hesitates to shift out. Does anyone know what this could be? I put it on the freeway again after having that problem an once again as soon as i got of the exit it would not change gears and i shut it of again for about 2mins and cut it back on and once again it drove like normal....

Old 11-30-2014, 12:27 PM
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Re: Transmission Problems

Originally Posted by AtlantaDebonair
I just bought a 2005 Crossfire on Saturday it has 89,000 mile, and immediately after buying it I put it on the road and drove 2 hours away to the outlets to do some Christmas shopping. When i got off on the exit to get to the out lets i notice that the transmission would not shift out of gear it was stuck in one gear so i immediately pulled over turned the car of for about 2 minutes cut it back and it drove like normal. Now it drive like normal but when i get to about 40mph it kinda hesitates to shift out. Does anyone know what this could be? I put it on the freeway again after having that problem an once again as soon as i got of the exit it would not change gears and i shut it of again for about 2mins and cut it back on and once again it drove like normal....

It is automatic correct? You wouldn't be hitting the slap tick?

Old 11-30-2014, 02:44 PM
Received 153 Likes on 141 Posts

Sounds like one of two things, one simple, one not.
1. Fluid level is low. ( search and you'll find how to check with a long zip tie )
2. Conductor plate issue. ( search for this also, there are instructions, not for the amateur mechanic )

Old 11-30-2014, 03:14 PM

Agree with low transmission fluid if automatic. Have it checked and if needed only use "correct" fluid. You may also need to check for the notorious tranny sensor leak.
EDIT: Report back here with what you find....People here to help with any problems you might encounter. Very friendly .
Our Crossfires are very sensitive to what fluids are used. Oil, Transmission fluid, Coolant, Brake fluid, Power steering fluid. all need to be specific for the car. The Mercedes engineering is top rated and they have engineered the fluids to be used. Give us some specifics who you bought it from (dealer or private party), Roadster or coupe, etc. It seems that if they sold you a car with "low" tranny fluid (if that is the problem), it may indicate improper maintenance by previous owner. There may me other things you should check to avoid future problems
Transmission Problems-dsc00089.jpg

Last edited by IBLUBYU; 11-30-2014 at 04:02 PM.
Old 03-05-2017, 01:41 PM

I am having the exact same problem. I haven't found the thread you are referring to about how to check the fluid with a ziptie. I haven't used this site much, so it is possible the issue is a searcher error/user error.. Haha! If I take it to a regular transmission shop do you think they could change the filter & refill the fluid? Or do I have to take to to a mercedes dealer? Just trying not to pay the dealership outrageous prices. My car is an automatic ~ 130,000 miles. Also does anyone know ~ how much this should cost to change fluid & filter? Thanks in advance!!

UPDATE! My problem was exactly what many people on here said! It was low on fluid because it was leaking at the connector.

Last edited by christaleve22; 03-07-2017 at 10:12 AM.
Old 03-05-2017, 01:49 PM

Also, should I just add fluid even if I can't check it, Just incase it is low? Would that cause any problems or should I just wait to get the filter changed and change out all the trasmission fluid? My car has alot of miles, and I'm not sure if it had regular maintenance before I bought it.

Old 03-06-2017, 07:40 PM
Received 63 Likes on 49 Posts

the automatic transmission filter/fluid should be serviced every 40k, if you have owned it for 40k and have not done so then you are due. this would be the trans service kit...
http://www.needswings.com/7226-transmission-service-kit

Old 03-07-2017, 10:10 AM

My car has 130,000 & I'm not sure it has ever been changed. Many people have said high mileage cars that haven't previously had the transmission serviced shouldn't start servicing them now. I went to a transmission shop and my problem was the fluid was leaking at the connector. So they filled the fluid level, and replaced the connector. It is running great now.

Old 03-07-2017, 10:17 AM

The transmission shop charged me 1 hr labor + Part =$125 I didn't think that was too bad considering I thought my transmission was messing up. 😊

Old 03-07-2017, 10:21 AM

Mine was doing that, It was low on transmission fluid. I had previously been seeing some spots in my garage, I thought I had an oil leak but it was transmission fluid. The leak caused my fluid level to drop extremely low and once I refilled the fluid & had the connector replaced , it ran like new!

Old 03-07-2017, 10:31 AM
Received 63 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by christaleve22
Many people have said high mileage cars that haven't previously had the transmission serviced shouldn't start servicing them now

would you use that same rational with your engine oil and filter?

Old 03-07-2017, 02:01 PM
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Welcome Christa,
And thank you for your update.
Gm transmissions are bad about if not serviced then don't service issue, like the 700-r4.
When they get enough metal in the oil it thickens up the oil and wears parts, then new thin oil is added can cause problems.
But we do not have old gm transmissions.

With the transmissions in our crossfires, I would change filter and oil, I am not a fan of the automatic transmission flush that some shops do, yes it cleans the transmission out great, the problem is there is alot of the cleaner left in the Torque converter, then your car is running with a mix of transmission oil and the cleaning solution at the same time, and transmission will have a short life.
There could be a newer way that cleans out and will not leave solution in the Torque converter but idk.
Just a fluid change and filter you will still have 1/2 of the old oil in your transmission.

I have a 6 speed manual, bought at 40k miles, I have 137,641 miles atm and have changed my trans oil 3 times.
And manual transmission usually don't get changed.

I take my trans oil run and strain it through fine cloth to check for metallic steel or brass, if anything for the piece of mind when it comes out clean, there "will" be metal in the oil, not matter which trans, from a automatic it is from the Torque converter, manual it is from our brass synchro 's.
But I like to know how much.

Maintenance is always cheaper in the long run than repairs.

There was a crossfire reported here not long ago with 344 k miles, no major repairs, just some minor parts that are normal to wair out, and did good maintenance.