Troubleshooting & Technical Questions & Modifications Have technical or modification questions about the Crossfire? Find out the answer, or give advice in here!

Radiator fan module problem

Old 04-23-2014, 09:02 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Radiator fan module problem

Hi guys, first of all I'm new to forum. Second of all, I have a problem with a fan radiator module. I searched your forum because my coolant light was on, and some of you guys said that it's probably the module. So I took the crossfire to a local chrysler dealership and they confirmed that it was the module and also they found out that the coolant reservoir level sensor is dead as well. I bought a used module on ebay from a crashed crossfire, replaced it and everything was fine for about a week (the fan was spinning nicely, the light was gone). But now, the light is back on and the fan won't spin. Do you think that after one week that used module died on me ? Is there any way to check if that thing works ? Btw, I checked the fuses and they are all good.
Please do help....

Last edited by sebastian76; 04-23-2014 at 09:08 PM.
Old 04-23-2014, 09:56 PM
Administrator
Received 885 Likes on 689 Posts
Default Re: Radiator fan module problem

The light (that looks like a radiator) indicates one of a few failures. In the case you are dealing with, the light is an indication (probably) that the Fan Module is not communicating with the PTCM.

Here is how it works:

The PTCM sends pulses to the FCM to tell it how fast to run the fan, and as a "ping" to make sure the FCM is still alive.

That is....
The PTCM 'pings' the FCM from time to time, the FCM "pings" back. If the PTCM sees this ping, it knows all is ok. If it does NOT get the ping back, it lights the light.

On the OTHER hand, if the FCM looses the pings from the PTCM, it turns the fan on full speed as an emergency mode to keep the engine cool. It does this, since, if it is not getting the pulses from the PTCM, it has no way of knowing how much 'fan' is needed.

Either the FCM is bad, power to the FCM has failed, or the bidirectional wire between the FCM and PTCM is open. But if the line was open, the FCM would run the fan at full speed. So, it sure looks to ME like the FCM is bad OR the 50 amp fuse is bad.

Old 04-24-2014, 01:37 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Radiator fan module problem

I had a problem with my radiator fan motor. It seized, causing the fan module to short circuit and fail.

I replaced the module off of another xfire and replaced the radiator fan with a Dorman 620-040 OE replacement.

Problem fixed. No more overheating. This happened about 3 years ago.