Troubleshooting & Technical Questions & Modifications Have technical or modification questions about the Crossfire? Find out the answer, or give advice in here!

Problems with the roof

Old 06-30-2016, 05:36 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Problems with the roof

So recently I have encountered some problems with my Crossfire - specifically with the convertible top.

As I was preparing to leave my house, I put the top down, as is my usual course of action, and nothing seemed out of the ordinary. However, it started to rain right as I was about to drive off, so of course I decided to put the top back up. This time however, it seemed as if it was struggling to get the roof up, shuddering and shaking almost. Soon enough the operation stopped altogether, and my roof was halfway out of the trunk. I tried releasing the button and pressing it again, upon which it did continue to attempt to lift the roof, but that soon stopped, and then no matter what I did, the roof was completely frozen, and would not move, no matter what I did. In addition, my trunk won't open and seems as if it's permanently locked, as I went into the back to try and see if anything was wrong with the module or so.

I was able to somewhat close the top manually (as I don't have the multipurpose tool, I seem to have misplaced it), so the top is only partially latched down. Thinking this would finally allow me access into the trunk to see what was wrong with the module, if anything, to my dismay the trunk was still unresponsive, and I now have no access to it, as the top is partially locked down as well.

I have no idea what is wrong or what's going on, and I'd greatly appreciate any help from y'all.

Thanks!

Old 06-30-2016, 08:26 PM
Administrator
Received 888 Likes on 692 Posts
Default Re: Problems with the roof

You better get that damn tool, they are now available for as little as $25 but I cannot remember where people are getting them.

You cant open the trunk because you didn't do the lock mod. See, the trunk electrically locks only while the top motor is running- this is to protect the car from someone opening the trunk while the deck lid is up. Many of us have modded that lock to not lock, but to lie to the controller that the trunk IS locked, so the controller will still move the top. (The "Trunk fully closed" sensor still works, as it should, to avoid damage.)

You have got to finish the cycle to get the lock to unlock. NOW, you MIGHT get the trunk unlocked with the emergency release, except that you are not in the trunk to pull the handle. SO, take out the driver's side tag lamp, form a steel coathanger into a small j hook, insert it some 8-9 inches and try to snag the emergency release cable - pull and the trunk should pop open.

As to what happened, sounds like low fluid to me. THis means a leak from a bad seal, etc.

Again, I'm only going on your one post, but your post seems rather descriptive and informative.

Old 06-30-2016, 08:27 PM
Administrator
Received 888 Likes on 692 Posts

Read, at least, post 73:

https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum...id-jammed.html

Old 08-02-2016, 12:56 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Alrighty, sorry for the long delay for my response, things have been a tad hectic for me lately. Nevertheless...

I managed to complete the cycle, as I finally got the multipurpose tool, so now thankfully the trunk works just as normal. I'm looking into doing the trunk modification whenever I get the time, it seems quite beneficial, thank you for letting me know about that.

However, the same problem with the roof persists, as I haven't had more time to look into it. When you say low fluid, what exactly do you mean? Is there a way I could check that, and if it's a bad seal or something, how would I go about fixing that? I thought at first that it could be a problem with the module, but that seems pretty inconceivable seeing as I just replaced the thing about a month ago. But if it is indeed a leak, how would I go about filling the fluid back up?

Sorry for the deluge of questions, but I'm not exactly that knowledgeable about much of this. Thank you so much for your help so far, I really appreciate it.

Old 08-02-2016, 01:08 PM
Received 153 Likes on 141 Posts

The fluid is held in a reservoir tank attached to the pump module.
This module is in the rear fenderwell on the driver's side, you need to remove the trunk trim panels for full access.
If the fluid is low, you do indeed have a leak somewhere, Klaus at TopHydraulics will become your new best friend.
You can top the tank up with Pentosin CHF and see if it will work again.