Troubleshooting & Technical Questions & Modifications Have technical or modification questions about the Crossfire? Find out the answer, or give advice in here!

Valve cover repeated failure

Old 03-21-2017, 08:17 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Smile Valve cover repeated failure

Anyone out there have valve cover issues? (07 base model 60K miles) Mine keep leaking, just replaced for the 3rd time in about 3 years (luckily under warranty thus far). When the CF is stored, and comes out of hibernation for the first time, residue burns, smokes and comes out from under the hood, not heavy, pretty light but noticeable mostly from the drivers side or least that is what I see most. The breather covers were redone one time, but the valve cover gaskets 3 times?? Any suggestions to consider, my warranty runs out in about a year. Thanks a mil!

Old 03-21-2017, 08:36 PM
Administrator
Received 885 Likes on 689 Posts
Default Re: Valve cover repeated failure

Yea, you are not getting the problem fixed properly by someone that cares about your car. IOW, fix it yourself!

No, I'm serious. Get some brother-in-law that likes working on cars and buy him a case of beer or whatever and let him fix it. MANY of us have had to fix ours more than once - and I learned from that observation.

So, when mine started to leak oil like an old British Motorcycle, I read thru the threads on the fixes and observed that if you really do it right and take care in what you are doing, you CAN fix it once and (pretty much, I guess, for all.

My saga starts at post 221 or so:
https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum...over-leak.html

Now, if your VALVE COVER GASKETS are where the oil is leaking, I'd be surprised. It's the seal between the BREATHERS and the VALVE COVERS. But most just reseal the breather to the valve cover - I think this is a mistake.

I tore the entire assemblies off and separated the halves while off the engine (it was NOT as hard as some say it was for them, maybe I was lucky). I then dissolved the old RTV with my crude "toothbrush dipped in Gasoline" technique. I then cleaned all parts with Purple Power.

I emphasize this: Let stuff dry out overnight, put the stuff in front of the heating vent or A/C (don't worry, Purple Power will clean off any residual gasoline).

THEN follow the recommended procedure (see Max's posts) and spread the RTV carefullly, assemble the halves and finger tigten the bolts holding them together. Wait 1/2 hour. Tighten bolts to spec.

Now, LET THE ASSEMBLES SIT, I let them sit over a weekend but at least overnight.

Put everything back on the engine and it's over. Mine have been fine for well over a year now - not a DROP, no seeping, NOTHING, ever since.

Old 03-22-2017, 06:49 AM
Received 531 Likes on 421 Posts

Another point to emphasize is when you're repairing the crankcase breather covers mounted on top of the valve covers, these are fastened by aluminum screws. These screws are a 1x use only. They are very susceptible to stretching when torqued too high and the proper torque setting is very low (4 lb-ft = 5-6 N-m). Mercedes-Benz states that these screws are to be disposed of if removed. So if you used these screws over again, and over-tightened them, your problem may be the screws.

Another point I found when I repaired my crankcase breather covers. I checked the tightness of the star point screws holding down the valve covers. In all cases, these screws were loose on both valve covers. Unlike pizzaguy, I did not remove the valve covers during the crankcase breather repairs. I just re-tightened these screws to the proper torque (10 N-m = 7.5 lb-ft). The valve covers on my XFire have never been removed or leaked. And I check these probably 1x/yr to make sure they are still tight.

Old 03-22-2017, 09:35 PM

I'm not that guy to tear into an engine and think I could tackle valve covers. That's over my pay grade. I'm handy but not THAT handy. (my brother in laws- both car guys are out of state) I did manage to replace a part (forgot the name) that was REALLY hard to get to. I tied a thread around the bolt to not loose it to reinstall, or was it the tool, I forget. Well, 3 for 3 is too many times to replace the same valve cover gasket. I'll be all over the Chrysler warranty folks to find out why these gaskets keep failing. How freakin bad could those mechanics be. They are trained and they CF trained. I did have breather covers resealed one time thinking it was valve covers. I am aware of the aluminum one time use screws. However, this time, I had spots from dripping fluid under the CF. I did not believe that valve covers could leak (or seep) that much to actually have fluids hit the floor.

Old 03-22-2017, 10:37 PM
Received 543 Likes on 459 Posts

Originally Posted by BisB
I'm not that guy to tear into an engine and think I could tackle valve covers. That's over my pay grade. I'm handy but not THAT handy. (my brother in laws- both car guys are out of state) I did manage to replace a part (forgot the name) that was REALLY hard to get to. I tied a thread around the bolt to not loose it to reinstall, or was it the tool, I forget. Well, 3 for 3 is too many times to replace the same valve cover gasket. I'll be all over the Chrysler warranty folks to find out why these gaskets keep failing. How freakin bad could those mechanics be. They are trained and they CF trained. I did have breather covers resealed one time thinking it was valve covers. I am aware of the aluminum one time use screws. However, this time, I had spots from dripping fluid under the CF. I did not believe that valve covers could leak (or seep) that much to actually have fluids hit the floor.
Is it possible that the oil is coming from the transmission?

Old 04-10-2017, 10:47 AM

It seems I have the exact same problem. Crossfire was in storage since November and brought out this weekend. I never had an oil leak until it was stored. Am I correct in believing this is the valve cover? The tiny leak appears to be coming from under the bolt itself.

Old 04-10-2017, 01:07 PM
Received 63 Likes on 49 Posts

your leak is from the breather cover and happens to be accumulation by the bolt

Old 04-10-2017, 01:10 PM

Originally Posted by NeedsWings
Thanks! I'll look into that.

Old 04-10-2017, 01:16 PM
Received 543 Likes on 459 Posts

Not related but could you give the definitive method to set up a new SKREEM, thanks. A spare may be an option, or is it?

Old 04-10-2017, 01:27 PM

Once I clean out and reseal the breather cover should I add your oil catch can? Does the non-supercharged 3.2L benefit from that as well?

Old 03-05-2018, 02:19 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Looks like I have leak on the passenger side valve cover and driver's side breather cover. I'll post pictures to be sure but I'm think about getting these for the valve covers any thoughts?

Amazon Amazon

Old 03-05-2018, 02:50 PM
Forum Regular
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Do it yourself. It is time consuming when you do it properly but it will be fixed. I doubt a mechanic would spend the time to clean the cover thoroughly hence to fix the problem.

Old 03-05-2018, 02:53 PM

It's not terribly difficult but you do need a variable torque ratchet with a newton meters setting. I believe I found the specified torques on this forum somewhere when I did mine.

Old 03-05-2018, 02:59 PM
Received 153 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by sirharper
It's not terribly difficult but you do need a variable torque ratchet with a newton meters setting. I believe I found the specified torques on this forum somewhere when I did mine.
From the manual :
Position the cylinder head covers (2) on the cylinder
head. Install the cylinder head cover bolts (1)
and tighten to 10 N·m (7 ft. lbs.).
or 84 inch/lbs.

Old 03-05-2018, 03:39 PM

So are those value gasket seals ok to get?

Old 03-05-2018, 04:42 PM

Also, the bolts are aluminum which is prone to stretching when reinstalled. Better to be safe and have a new set of bolt handy. Needs Wings has (had) them.

Old 03-05-2018, 05:08 PM
Received 63 Likes on 49 Posts

i wouldn't use any lower gaskets other than the oem's, seen too many problems using cheap lower gaskets like the fel-pro

Old 03-05-2018, 07:18 PM
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Mine had the same chronic leak a few years back, and the dealership mechanic found a hairline crack in the valve cover. He replaced both covers under warranty and it's been fine ever since (approx 7-8 years).

Old 03-06-2018, 08:31 AM

Thanks for the responses, see the attached pictures

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
0305181807_Film4.jpg (1.18 MB, 26 views)
0305181807a_Film4.jpg (1.10 MB, 24 views)
0305181808_Film4.jpg (1.13 MB, 24 views)
0305181808a_Film4.jpg (1,020.7 KB, 23 views)
0305181809_Film4.jpg (1,004.7 KB, 24 views)
Old 03-06-2018, 08:48 AM

Your leak looks exactly like mine did. Took care of it last spring and hasn't leaked a drop since. Mine only leaked in winter though. I'd assume that was due to cold weather contraction.