Troubleshooting & Technical Questions & Modifications Have technical or modification questions about the Crossfire? Find out the answer, or give advice in here!

ckeck engine light car shuts down

Old 03-22-2017, 05:24 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question ckeck engine light car shuts down

driving fine go into passing gear the check engine light comes on and the engine dies. Stop engine starts right back up and runs until you go into passing gear and it dies. check codes the only one was for secondairy air supply HELP I have maybe wrote this up I'll try again.
I can drive the car with no problems or lights, under hard acceleration( going into passing gear) the car will down shift the ckeck engine light will come on and then the engine dies. I stop on the side of the road turn off the key then restart the car the ckeck engine light will still be on but the car performs as normal, until you step on it again then the same thing happens it dies. The only code shows secondary air supply.
If anyone can help I would appreciate it.

Last edited by wruss; 03-23-2017 at 05:20 PM. Reason: furture explanation
Old 05-04-2017, 07:13 PM
Default Re: ckeck engine light car shuts down

I have the same situation, anyone knows what is happening?

Old 05-04-2017, 07:14 PM

when i shift from first to second it shuts down.

Old 05-04-2017, 10:43 PM
Administrator
Received 885 Likes on 689 Posts

I'd still like to know the exact code. THere are several associated with the Secondary Air Injection system. BUT, anyway, no failure in the secondary air will cause the car to not run right - secondary air is air injected into the exhaust at cold startup to head up the cats.

Stalling going into passing gear or from 1st to second sounds very odd to me. Does the car idle well? I'd suspect MAF (which also contains the IAT - intake air temp sensor) - try removing it and cleaning it (per one of the youtube videos on the subject) other than that, I'd kinda suspect the Throttle body. A lady near me had odd hesitations on the highway, and the car didn't always start easily -but it idled fine. A replacement throttle body fixed it.

Old 05-06-2017, 03:17 AM
Received 141 Likes on 110 Posts

I had something very similar within the last 2 weeks
Running fine, press the accelerator and check engine comes one and engine dies.
Codes were
P2003 Malfunction of Secondary Air
P2051 misfiring of cylinder 1
P2053 misfiring of cylinder 3
P2055 misfiring of cylinder 2
At first I thought it was bad gas. It started slowly, allowed me to drive a fair distance then shut down. The distances got shorter and shorter.
Prior to this problem I had been driving with a rather heavy foot and I had noticed a slight change to the tone of the exhaust.
Diagnoses, upper cat failed and plugged the rear. No way to exhaust the spent gas that forces the engine to shutdown.

It was only one side. I was in California and I had to have thebone side replaced. Just ordered the cat free pipes from Needswings. They are less expensive than replacing the cats.

Get someone to read the codes for you. Misfire on one bank or the other may imply cats. Took it off and it was plugged

Old 05-09-2018, 09:25 PM
Unhappy Re: ckeck engine light car shuts down

The code for me is p0410 it shuts down engine only on hard acceleration,at any speed floor accelerator will kick down then a second later check engine light and it dies

Old 05-09-2018, 10:32 PM
Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

"when i shift from first to second it shuts down." Mine also, every time I make a hard redline shift 1-2, the TC light comes on and it bogs for a few seconds. Is usually faster starting in second.

ps is there a reason you said it was a SLK32 ? (170.466)

Last edited by Padgett; 05-09-2018 at 10:41 PM.
Old 05-10-2018, 11:03 AM
Received 63 Likes on 49 Posts

does it happen when you get to the trans kickdown button on the gas pedal when it is at 100% throttle. if so replace the gas pedal, seen that a few times now.

Old 05-16-2018, 11:11 AM

I finally broke down and called Merc Service Guy and he told me to check trans fluid had it check found two qt low added and no longer have the problem runs great There is a low fluid sensor in the trans for saftey

Old 05-16-2018, 11:17 AM
Smile Re: ckeck engine light car shuts down

Talk with service tech and told me SLK280 has a safety switch in the transmission for low fluid, had it checked at a trans shop found two qt low added and the problem is gone She now runs great anytime and i can driver her like it should be

Old 05-18-2018, 11:05 AM
Received 543 Likes on 459 Posts

Originally Posted by Padgett
"when i shift from first to second it shuts down." Mine also, every time I make a hard redline shift 1-2, the TC light comes on and it bogs for a few seconds. Is usually faster starting in second.

ps is there a reason you said it was a SLK32 ? (170.466)
If you hit the redline the engine shuts down, they all do.
The 170.466 is on readout of the fault reader set to Mercedes fault codes is my take on that. He has an SRT6.