TSBs and How-To Articles This is for information on Technical Service Bulletins and for posting How-To Articles.

How to Repair Relay Control Module (RCM) - (Mystery no Start)

Old 09-05-2016, 09:23 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: How to Repair Relay Control Module (RCM) - (Mystery no Start)

Good to know!

I was just about to do it in that instance when it started on it's own.

Old 10-02-2016, 12:36 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi < tighed1 @Hotmail.com >
I seem not able to connect with this email address..

My Problem is (2004 Chrysler Crossfire)...I drove it for 9 hours in June without a problem England to SW France.

Now for no reason...

Dies for no reason, after an hour - start and drive off.........or drive 5 minutes - come out - no start Engine Man light on & rear spoiler deployed.........again after a period (remove engine cover and pipes ) as I thought it was a heat problem !! Engine will start, engine light on leave at home for a while...starts engine light is off and spoiler working and back into rest mode..
Will youre fix RCM fix THIS??

If I go out now - the car will start - no engine light and spoiler will rest and NO codes for the garage as if it is a ghost problem...
If I send the RCM to you can you tell if the relays are the suspects??
Would like to know your thoughts & any other members who have had this problem...my email is bob.stevens@talk21.com...Rgds Bob

Old 10-02-2016, 04:08 PM
Received 153 Likes on 141 Posts

I don't know if the capitol "H" is the problem, but I have his email address as :
tighed1@hotmail.com

Old 10-02-2016, 07:40 PM

Originally Posted by tighed1
EVERYONE.

Don't spend $15-$20 mailing these. They fit in the padded flat rate envelopes and ship for about $5.

Anyone that would like me to repair their RCM email me at - tighed1 @Hotmail.com - for my address.

Don't pull fuses or take off cover!

I'll inspect, redo bad solder joints, perform the Me So Horny mod (horn works w/o key) and replace the Air Pump relay (Code PO410) and the Fuel Pump relay if needed (no start due to pump not running). I will then test your RCM in one of my cars. Then I will mail back the RCM to you via USPS Priority Mail (2-3 day). In most cases I get the RCM back in the mail the day after I receive it so yer looking at about a week total. If you want the package insured please include an additional $6. FYI, In the couple/few years that I have been doing this only one was lost in the mail.

Please email your address to me also.
Are you still doing this repair? Would it be wise to buy a new one and then send the one I have to you and have a spare? After reading all threads, I do believe this is my problem. Though my car has never not started, it did stall today and made it limping home.

Old 10-03-2016, 03:10 AM

Strange going's on..........Overnight the spoiler has gone down & Engine warning light not showing !!!

Old 10-03-2016, 06:52 AM
Received 543 Likes on 459 Posts

Has anyone checked for any codes that have been set, a CE light should indicate a code. We have this feature but it seems half the time the CE light only prompts a post on this forum. In many cases the suggestions will only be an educated guess with no code info.

Old 10-03-2016, 04:07 PM
Received 61 Likes on 49 Posts

Yes, still repairing these.
tighed1@hotmail.com

Is the correct address.

Old 10-03-2016, 04:38 PM

And he repairs them very good & sends them back fast ! Repaired mine ! Thanks many many times over !

Old 01-07-2017, 09:20 PM
Smile Re: How to Repair Relay Control Module (RCM) - (Mystery no Start)

Originally Posted by tighed1
How to Relay Control Module (RCM) Repair - (Mystery no Start)
Click here to Go to post 120 for loaner RCM info
Thanks LGV-XFIRE!

This post is in response to the MANY occurrences of the "Mystery No Start" issue. Symptoms being car will die and/or will not restart but may restart after waiting for a while. Also, when attempting to start the engine all electronics work but the engine will not crank.

Hundreds have been spent "repairing" this problem by buying a new Relay Control Module (RCM) and paying for diagnostics, removal and installation.
Well I'm here to help save you some time, $$$ and aggravation cuz YOU will do the repair yer self!

This repair will require that you are able to properly operate a soldering iron. Beyond that it’s pretty easy.
Let’s get started (get it?)!

First four steps might look familiar cuz they come right out of the “Me so Horny” mod.

1. Disconnect the battery.
2. Remove the cover that contains the RCM and pull the RCM out.

3. Disconnect all plugs from the RCM.

4. Remove the protective cover from the RCM. Might take a little prying with small screwdrivers.

5. Inspect the rear of the RCM. Pay particular attention to the area in the yellow outline box located in the lower right hand portion of the photo.

Here are two examples of what you might see.
This is NYPD-Crossfire’s BAD RCM.

And now the close up.

By just slightly touching the center set of connections I was actually able to make and break the electrical connection. No wonder his car wouldn’t start.

Here is my still “good” RCM from the coupe.

As you can see the connections here are also VERY poor. It’s still working but looking like it does it wouldn’t be long before I too would have encountered the Mystery No Start issue.
  • REPAIR
6. Time for the repair. Get yer soldering iron nice and hot and (one at a time) heat the joint and apply additional solder. Be sure that the joint gets hot enough to thoroughly heat the pins that are protruding through the board. The pins are pretty stout and if not heated enough you may get a cold solder joint and end up having a starting problem because of that.

Re-soldiered connections. Compare with the above photo. I think I'm safe now!

NOTE: Now would be a GREAT time to do the “Me so Horny” mod. Two deep cuts in the circuit board. Solder in two wires. That easy!
7. Put the protective cover back on the RCM.
8. Re-connected RCM.
9. Put the RCM back into the main box.
10. Install cover.
11. Connect battery.

Yer Done!

In addition to the " Sticky Ignition Key Fix for all Crossfires 2004 thru 2006" thread, from which I successfully used the PDF provided to fix my car by myself today, I have also used this thread to fix my car by myself last year! I just wanted to say THANK YOU for taking the time to post this! I am a single woman on a budget, so both of these threads were extremely helpful to me and saved me a lot of money and headache!!! Thanks much!!! ~Kim

Old 03-13-2017, 02:17 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Smile Re: How to Repair Relay Control Module (RCM) - (Mystery no Start)

I just did the repair and seems to working fine now, starts every time!!! Can't say enough about the way the repair was explained and photo's!!Awesome Job Sure saved me a ton of money and headache's in the future. thanks again

Old 03-29-2017, 02:49 PM

Just thought I'd mention that I've had my RCM repaired twice by Mr Tighed
and he did a great job! I figured out that jump starting the crossfire
messes with the RCM's relays that's what kept deteriorating my relays and would
eventually make them fail in a matter of weeks after a jump start.
The soldering was fine .. The relays just kept getting blown ..
( In my case at least ) might wanna stay away from jump starts

Last edited by BenzFire; 03-29-2017 at 02:56 PM.
Old 03-29-2017, 06:57 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks for the info, If i should have to ever jump start it, will it just break the solder connection or what should I look for after the jump start

Old 03-29-2017, 07:22 PM
Received 543 Likes on 459 Posts

Originally Posted by cobra1951f
Thanks for the info, If i should have to ever jump start it, will it just break the solder connection or what should I look for after the jump start
I think that the original reason given above may not be the actual reason.
Anyway he says the relay burns up not the soldering.

Old 03-30-2017, 12:27 AM

That's correct, the jump starts did not affect the soldering
that had been previously repaired by Tighed. It just messes with the relays. (bad soldering and bad relays are 2 different issues on the RCM) my crossfire sits for long periods of time because of my job I travel often so my battery will lose volts (probably due to it being an older battery but that's another story) anyway, that's how I noticed the jump starts were causing my RCM's fuel pump relay to go bad shortly after jumping ( 2 -3 weeks ) so what I did is purchased a battery charger and now I remove the battery to charge when needed. Haven't blown any more relays. Just my 2 cents! Cobra1951f if your fuel pump relay blows you will 1- Not hear the short buzzing/humming noise coming from the back of the car when you turn the key once
(before cranking) It's about 3 seconds long which means the fuel pump is not working/sending fuel and car will turn over but not start... 2 - Car will stumble and die at any moment idling or in movement, what I noticed is that when the soldering joints are bad the car just flat out dies with no other warnings and when the fuel relay is bad it stumbles before it dies as if you were out of gas.

Last edited by BenzFire; 03-30-2017 at 12:30 AM.
Old 04-05-2017, 09:07 AM

Glad to see this wonderful thread. Thanks for all this hard work! I just bought a 2004 that has had horrible starting issues. The last owner had replaced starter, alternator, battery, ignition and computer. It worked for him for a few months and now it won't start again. I just got it in my garage yesterday and have the battery on a charger since it was dead. My question is if this RCM solder joint issue causes the car to not even crank or try to turn over?

Old 04-05-2017, 09:10 AM

The RCM symptoms are that the dash lights up when the ignition is turned on,
but when you go to the start position, nothing happens, engine does NOT turn over.

Old 04-05-2017, 09:38 AM
Received 531 Likes on 421 Posts

Originally Posted by Chrisjlyon
Glad to see this wonderful thread. Thanks for all this hard work! I just bought a 2004 that has had horrible starting issues. The last owner had replaced starter, alternator, battery, ignition and computer. It worked for him for a few months and now it won't start again. I just got it in my garage yesterday and have the battery on a charger since it was dead. My question is if this RCM solder joint issue causes the car to not even crank or try to turn over?
I'd recommend sending the RCM unit to tighed1 and have him perform the repair. That way you not only get the solder joints addressed, he replaces any relays that are a problem. His turnaround time is phenomenal and the price is even better than that!

Old 04-05-2017, 10:07 AM

Originally Posted by dedwards0323
I'd recommend sending the RCM unit to tighed1 and have him perform the repair. That way you not only get the solder joints addressed, he replaces any relays that are a problem. His turnaround time is phenomenal and the price is even better than that!
I sent my rcm to tighed1 on my 2004 and have had zero problems. Note the list of basic service forum expert senior members recommend with links. Did rcm, sticky ignition,
bought new key, replaced crankshaft position sensor and have extra CPS with tools to repair if breaks down, replaced very worn out steering stabilizer too. Replaced spark plugs too. Doing fluid change end of this week - thanks to senior member ala_xfire - differential, manual transmission, brakes and power steering. Have another 1k to go for oil change.
2004 has some cosmetic issues but has a strong heart I want to keep going. At 101,000 and going strong. Follow the forum regularly my big suggestion listening the senior members is huge head ache saver.

Old 04-05-2017, 11:17 AM

Can someone share with me a 2004 fuse box diagram? What I found from a owners manual doesn't match exactly what my car has. Some spots have the wrong size fuse and one spot that says it supposed to be a spare looks like it has connections inside it

Old 04-05-2017, 11:23 AM

from the 2004 service manual :

The 2004 owner's manual says :

Last edited by ala_xfire; 04-05-2017 at 11:31 AM.

Quick Reply: How to Repair Relay Control Module (RCM) - (Mystery no Start)