TSBs and How-To Articles This is for information on Technical Service Bulletins and for posting How-To Articles.

Wiper Arm

Old 06-14-2010, 07:03 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wiper Arm

Hey guys I'm needing to take off the wiper arms on my crossfire so I can then take off the cowl. I've searched everywhere but can't find anything. I thought all I had to do was take off the nuts that are on them and they would pop right off right? Any help is appreciated.

Old 06-14-2010, 07:15 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Wiper Arm

You need a small gear puller or a steering wheel puller.

Old 06-14-2010, 07:21 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by aschrager
You need a small gear puller or a steering wheel puller.
Ah shows what I know, where can I pick up one of those bad boys? Thanks for the reply.

Old 06-14-2010, 08:12 PM

Any automotive store.

Old 06-15-2010, 08:23 AM
Received 531 Likes on 421 Posts

Originally Posted by spikehound
Hey guys I'm needing to take off the wiper arms on my crossfire so I can then take off the cowl. I've searched everywhere but can't find anything. I thought all I had to do was take off the nuts that are on them and they would pop right off right? Any help is appreciated.
You can also apply downward pressure on the arm at the pivot joint near the rotating spline. This will cause the small section mounted to the spline to flex and it will 'pop up' off the spline. While still exerting the downward pressure with your left hand, you can pull off the wiper arm by using your right hand to pull up the splined mount.

Just be careful not to pull so hard that you hit the underside edge of the hood with the wiper arm when it comes off. Works for me.

Old 06-15-2010, 10:33 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I don't mean to hijack this thread but do one of you guys happen to know where I can get the covers for the wiper nuts or what size they are then maybe I can find some covers ??

THANKS Howard

Old 06-15-2010, 11:44 AM
Forum Regular

wiper caps chrysler part# 5101489AA , benz part# A0008240249 about $3.00 to $6.00 for one plus shipping, or from your dealer in your area, there is a new member on the forum who can get the parts for us but cant think of his screen name ? I will look, took a look and found BLK04LMTD is his screen name, I thinks he works at a dealer not sure PM him and see what happens.

Last edited by kingkub57; 06-15-2010 at 12:05 PM.
Old 06-15-2010, 01:04 PM

That would be awsome and thanks for the info ,,thats what makes this forum one of the best on the web you can always find someone to help with info,,

Howard

Old 06-15-2010, 06:18 PM

Originally Posted by hcarter
I don't mean to hijack this thread but do one of you guys happen to know where I can get the covers for the wiper nuts or what size they are then maybe I can find some covers ??

THANKS Howard
Originally Posted by kingkub57
wiper caps chrysler part# 5101489AA , benz part# A0008240249 about $3.00 to $6.00 for one plus shipping, or from your dealer in your area, there is a new member on the forum who can get the parts for us but cant think of his screen name ? I will look, took a look and found BLK04LMTD is his screen name, I thinks he works at a dealer not sure PM him and see what happens.

I bought a package of 6 from OEDiscountParts.com (see attached correspondence with Mike Lewis). Chrysler P/N is typically out of stock or back ordered. They know to purchase under M-B P/N, which in this case is cheaper! I had them within a couple of days. When you do P/N search for M-B, leave the 'A' off the P/N.

Here's another tip. I had the DS cap pop off whenever I washed the car. The first few times, I didn't know it happened but found the cap in the driveway later on. I asked this forum what to do. FP told me to put a small piece of electrical tape (I used smooth) along a portion of the cap. I had to trim the piece to to make it work the way I wanted. Cap then is a little tight to insert; had to move it back & forth to get it to seat properly. And guess what - it stays! Way to go FP!

Attached Files
Old 06-15-2010, 09:55 PM
Received 543 Likes on 459 Posts

Originally Posted by dedwards0323

Here's another tip. I had the DS cap pop off whenever I washed the car. !
I have to ask, DS cap?
For the life of me I don't get it.

Old 06-15-2010, 09:59 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by onehundred80
I have to ask, DS cap?
For the life of me I don't get it.
Driver's Side

Old 06-15-2010, 10:25 PM

Originally Posted by Blast Chamber
Driver's Side
I thought you were talking about another cap entirely.

Old 06-15-2010, 10:34 PM

Originally Posted by dedwards0323
You can also apply downward pressure on the arm at the pivot joint near the rotating spline. This will cause the small section mounted to the spline to flex and it will 'pop up' off the spline. While still exerting the downward pressure with your left hand, you can pull off the wiper arm by using your right hand to pull up the splined mount.

Just be careful not to pull so hard that you hit the underside edge of the hood with the wiper arm when it comes off. Works for me.
These are not that type, they need a battery terminal puller or similar. The puller is used after the cap and nut have been removed.
You would not want to use a puller on the type you are talking about as a latch bites into the spline until you remove the grip as you describe.

Old 06-16-2010, 07:59 AM

Originally Posted by onehundred80
These are not that type, they need a battery terminal puller or similar. The puller is used after the cap and nut have been removed.
You would not want to use a puller on the type you are talking about as a latch bites into the spline until you remove the grip as you describe.
I will agree that using a small gear puller tool is possibly a better method, but it's not the only method. Once the cap & secure nut are removed, I've taken these wiper arms off using the technique I stated earlier. So I know this approach works too.

Old 06-16-2010, 10:25 AM
Forum Regular

It depends on how tight they are on! I my self have tried both methods and yes it does work, although you do want to be carefull when rocking the arm back and forth as too not cause any damage to the wiper trans/linkage and pivot, I know this because I broke a pivot assembly right off and then had to replace the whole assembly (different car) and when using a puller install the nut back on the shaft so that it keeps it centered so you dont damage the threads in case it slips off. You can also use some of that windsheild butyl stuff to keep your caps on, like rope caulk or simular, it stays tacky and you can still remove the caps fairly easy.

Old 04-03-2016, 08:39 PM
Forum Regular
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Help! What am I doing wrong? My alarm started going off at random so I am trying to replace the siren and can't get the whiper arms off. I tried using a small gear puller. See attached pic. Is there something I am missing?

Attached Images
File Type: jpeg
image.jpeg (1.69 MB, 81 views)
Old 04-03-2016, 08:55 PM

Should pop right off, if need be, keep a little tension on it, then take a small hammer, an lightly tap the stem of the puller. It looks like the puller is not straight, up an down(pulling on an angle)

Last edited by Steve Jr; 04-03-2016 at 08:58 PM.
Old 04-04-2016, 07:56 AM
Received 153 Likes on 141 Posts

I have removed the wiper arms on several Crossfires.
I found that all I had to do was remove the nut and rock them up and down and they came loose easily.

Old 04-04-2016, 02:02 PM
Received 343 Likes on 303 Posts

A little penetrating oil wouldn't hurt either

Old 04-04-2016, 04:57 PM

Originally Posted by ZERACER
A little penetrating oil wouldn't hurt either
Simplest way to get it off is take off the nut and drive the car. You can bet that in the worst storm in years it will fly off when you need it the most.
The blade on my wifes car flew off when it was raining hard the other week, fortunately I was coming to a stop at the time. The latch had not snapped in place properly when I put it on and it lasted a few months like that.
Luckily I was in the car, my wife would have come home with an arc scratched into the glass.

Quick Reply: Wiper Arm