Wheels, Brakes, Tires and Suspension Open discussion for tires/rims/lowering springs/brakes etc...

Tire Plugs

Old 05-22-2007, 06:19 PM
Forum Regular
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Tire Plugs

While washing my car on Sunday evening, I noticed the head of a rather large screw embedded into the full thickness part of the center tread on one of the rear tires. Knowing better than to pull it, I brought it in to my local Chrysler service dept. late yesterday afternoon to have it repaired. (I have tire insurance, but subsequently found out the this insurance was from the selling dealer and not a Chrysler warranty and not covered elsewhere without red tape and jumping through hoops. Unfortunately, the selling dealership is not nearly as convenient to me).

While they were telling me that the computer did not show me having Chrysler tire insurance, they also told me that the tire was not repairable and would need to be replaced. I told them to forget the whole thing so I could find my insurance papers and that I'd be back. Once I got home and pulled out the papers, I realized what my insurance was all about.

So, last night I decided to plug it myself because I needed to take a 100 mile trip today on the highway and didn't want an ill-timed flat.

As it turned out, the screw head was large, but the screw itself was very average. I had never plugged a tire before and had some difficulty in inserting the plug far enough in and leaving it behind when removing the tool. But with some work, I seemed to get it in enough and stay in place. Again, maybe not as deeply embedded as it should be, but enough to seem fully sealed.

I took my 100 mile trip today and the plug seems to have held its own well. The TPM system has stayed unlit.

So, I have two questions...

1 - Considering the screw was located as described above, was the service dept. just lying in order to sell me a tire (which they didn't even have in stock)?

2 - I know an inner patch would be better than a plug, but is what I've done enough?

Old 05-22-2007, 06:52 PM
Forum Regular
Default Re: Tire Plugs

They were lying. I also had a flat on Saturday night by a small screw. I live in a new neighborhood where they are still building and there must have been a stray screw in the road. Anyways, Saturday night I went into downtown Austin and while on the freeway my TPM light went on. I went and did my thing and came back and the tire was absolutely flat. I pulled out the air compressor from the trunk filled the tire with air and not the flat fixer and took the car home and found the screw. I didn't pull it out. The next morning I woke up early and took the tire off of the car with intentions on going to Discount Tire, but unfortunately they aren't open on Sundays. So I wound up at Pep Boys instead and they said they couldn't patch tires with a TPM system. I argued with them and they dismounted the tire from the rim and patched it anyways, with the normal patch and applying the adhesive from inside the tire. I've been driving around since Sunday without any issues. I say the service department was trying to sell you another tire, especially knowing the cost of the tire.

Old 05-22-2007, 09:43 PM
Forum Regular

I find it a bit insulting that a tire dealer or service dept would say a tire with a small puncture in the flat of the tread is not repairable. Or is there some new technology in tires that makes a plugged or patched tire lose its structural integrity and become a time-bomb for disaster.

On the bright side, in using the jack for the first time, I was impressed with its ease of use and the way the jack fit so nicely and securely in the notch beneath the car. Other cars I've owned always used a second metal rod that fit into the jack to act as a handle, and always were a pain in the neck. This one has the crank and nylon turning **** built in and turns effortlessly.

So much so that I decided to lift and remove the other rear tire and cleaned the inside of both rims. Next week, the fronts get the same.

Old 05-23-2007, 12:04 AM
FP
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

MM, yes they were trying to get you to buy a tire. When I was a young man (many, many moons ago ). I worked at a garage, and I probably patched 5 tires a day. If the hole was from a small nail or screw on the thread of the tire, a plug is a good fix. Don't worry about how long it will last. It will probably outlast the tire. Not a bad idea to keep an eye on it from time to time.

Old 05-23-2007, 12:24 AM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by midnightman
On the bright side, in using the jack for the first time, I was impressed with its ease of use and the way the jack fit so nicely and securely in the notch beneath the car. Other cars I've owned always used a second metal rod that fit into the jack to act as a handle, and always were a pain in the neck. This one has the crank and nylon turning **** built in and turns effortlessly.
I didn't use the jack that came with the car. I used this type of jack:

Old 05-23-2007, 08:39 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool Re: Tire Plugs

Major tire vendors will normally not repair tires as a matter of policy. The stated reason is liability. They would much rather sell a tire. I fix my own and I will sue myself if it fails.

Gary

Old 05-23-2007, 08:43 AM
Administrator
-C-I-C-C-I Associate Member
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by arado
I fix my own and I will sue myself if it fails.
~ now that's funny...

the sad thing... an attorney out there would probably represent you... against yourself. for a fee of course.