Wheels, Brakes, Tires and Suspension Open discussion for tires/rims/lowering springs/brakes etc...

320 SLK Bilstein Sport fit Crossfire?

Old 02-19-2008, 12:44 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 320 SLK Bilstein Sport fit Crossfire?

While looking at the Tire Racks web site for suspension options for Crossfire I was limited to an Eibach Pro Kit, H&R Sports, and an H&R Cup Kit. I couldn't help but check out my suspension choices for an 03 SLK 320. What came up was a bit of a surprise . . . Konis, Bilstein HDs and Bilstein Sports. I know Andrew has posted several times that his slammed suspension is Eibach and Koni for an SLK. I can't help but wonder if the Koni shocks are interchangable why not the Bilsteins and the rest of the suspension components. I checked the manufacturers part #s for the Eibach Pro Kit for the two cars and they are the same. The part #s for the H&R equipment are all different from slk to crossfire. My conclusion can only be that if the basic suspension hardware from an SLK and Crossfire are the same other than tune(they are aren't they?). . . H&R, Bilstein, and Koni, are all more specifically tuned for the vehicle application then Eibach.
I would like to install H&R Sport "Crossfire" springs in combination with
Bilstein Sports made for an SLK320.
I have always had good luck with Bilstein Sports and would like to put them on the car. At $91 per corner plus springs (approx $235) the total is roughly $600. That is $79 less then the H&R Cup Kit with a little more wheel travel for our western Pa roads. I just don't want to buy the shocks and have them not fit. Have any members installed Bilstein Sports for a SLK in a Crossfire? If yes, how do you like them? to soft? to firm? What springs are you using? Thanks

Old 02-19-2008, 01:25 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: 320 SLK Bilstein Sport fit Crossfire?

I have to think there are notable suspension tuning differences between the Crossfire and MB SLK 320 in only because the SLK was fitted with 16" wheels (7" wide front, 8" wide rears) while the Crossfire has 18" x 7.5" front and 19" x 9" out back. The additional unsprung weight with the Crossfire's rolling stock may well overtax the SLK spec suspension bits, even if they would technically fit.

While I can't say with 100% certainty that I am correct in the above assumption, it just sounds logical to me.

Old 02-19-2008, 01:33 PM

call up Anthony from Brabus HE has the shocks on discount right now. Look under Crossfire coupe and then brabus all his info is there.

Old 02-19-2008, 02:53 PM
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Does he have konies? And how would I find him?

Old 02-19-2008, 02:56 PM
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Isellthem
While looking at the Tire Racks web site for suspension options for Crossfire I was limited to an Eibach Pro Kit, H&R Sports, and an H&R Cup Kit. I couldn't help but check out my suspension choices for an 03 SLK 320. What came up was a bit of a surprise . . . Konis, Bilstein HDs and Bilstein Sports. I know Andrew has posted several times that his slammed suspension is Eibach and Koni for an SLK. I can't help but wonder if the Koni shocks are interchangable why not the Bilsteins and the rest of the suspension components. I checked the manufacturers part #s for the Eibach Pro Kit for the two cars and they are the same. The part #s for the H&R equipment are all different from slk to crossfire. My conclusion can only be that if the basic suspension hardware from an SLK and Crossfire are the same other than tune(they are aren't they?). . . H&R, Bilstein, and Koni, are all more specifically tuned for the vehicle application then Eibach.
I would like to install H&R Sport "Crossfire" springs in combination with
Bilstein Sports made for an SLK320.
I have always had good luck with Bilstein Sports and would like to put them on the car. At $91 per corner plus springs (approx $235) the total is roughly $600. That is $79 less then the H&R Cup Kit with a little more wheel travel for our western Pa roads. I just don't want to buy the shocks and have them not fit. Have any members installed Bilstein Sports for a SLK in a Crossfire? If yes, how do you like them? to soft? to firm? What springs are you using? Thanks
I think our cars already have bilsteins on ! AS for LTDs vs SRT6 I have a set of SRT6 shocks I'll sell for $200. delivered! email Danwanpen@aol.com

Old 02-19-2008, 04:05 PM

Originally Posted by Mike-in-Orange
I have to think there are notable suspension tuning differences between the Crossfire and MB SLK 320 in only because the SLK was fitted with 16" wheels (7" wide front, 8" wide rears) while the Crossfire has 18" x 7.5" front and 19" x 9" out back. The additional unsprung weight with the Crossfire's rolling stock may well overtax the SLK spec suspension bits, even if they would technically fit.

While I can't say with 100% certainty that I am correct in the above assumption, it just sounds logical to me.
I'll certainly agree with you on the subject of unsprung weight. Good point.

Old 02-19-2008, 04:15 PM

Originally Posted by SRT6 Dan
Does he have konies? And how would I find him?
Andrew is an administrator on this forum with the slammed Alabaster car.
The Mr Clean guy.

Old 02-19-2008, 04:19 PM

Originally Posted by SRT6 Dan
I think our cars already have bilsteins on ! AS for LTDs vs SRT6 I have a set of SRT6 shocks I'll sell for $200. delivered! email Danwanpen@aol.com
I don't think they are bilsteins, boge-sachs perhaps? Anyway, thanks for the offer but I'll keep looking for Bilstein Sports which are designed for lowered suspensions with shorter wheel travel.

Old 02-19-2008, 05:03 PM

Originally Posted by Isellthem
I don't think they are bilsteins, boge-sachs perhaps? Anyway, thanks for the offer but I'll keep looking for Bilstein Sports which are designed for lowered suspensions with shorter wheel travel.
AGAIN contact Anothy http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/BRABU...spagenameZWDVW

Tell him you just want the shocks YOU can not beat His price anywhere tell him Jon sent you.

Old 02-19-2008, 05:15 PM

Originally Posted by jonnyangel04
AGAIN contact Anothy http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/BRABU...spagenameZWDVWTell him you just want the shocks YOU can not beat His price anywhere tell him Jon sent you.
Okay, thanks for the info.

Old 02-19-2008, 10:55 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

hm.. he is selling it on ebay now? hmm.. thought he was going to sell to us.. i guess I will give him another call tomorrow

Old 02-19-2008, 11:14 PM

Originally Posted by Sidez
hm.. he is selling it on ebay now? hmm.. thought he was going to sell to us.. i guess I will give him another call tomorrow
HE is selling to us I talked with him the other day he reminded me that the SLK is 8 years old now lol one man's junk is another mans treasure. There are pleanty of kits to go around and I dont think the lowering springs really worked out. They would need some tweaking and are really low in the front do to the 3.2 engine not the 2.3