Wheels, Brakes, Tires and Suspension Open discussion for tires/rims/lowering springs/brakes etc...

Tire Slime

Old 02-27-2008, 08:12 PM
Forum Regular
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tire Slime

Has anyone used Tire Slime in a Crossfire or other car with a TPMS system ? I picked up a small nail in a rear tire so I pulled it out and put a plug in, However I still have a slow leak around the plug. I took it to to Discount Tire but they will not put a patch on it because I already used a plug on it. I know Tire Slime will fix the leak but I don't know what it will do to the TPMS. You have any info ???
Thanks...Roy

Old 02-28-2008, 12:30 AM
Administrator
-C-I-C-C-I Associate Member
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Re: Tire Slime

~ this product will throw off the balance of your tires... not recommended.

Old 02-28-2008, 06:21 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs down Re: Tire Slime

Originally Posted by andrew
~ this product will throw off the balance of your tires... not recommended.
I second this opinion. The slime never seems to solidify and just 'puddles' when the vehicle stops causing the imbalance.

Old 02-28-2008, 07:02 AM
Administrator / Senior Member
Received 457 Likes on 321 Posts

All of the liquid tire fix products destroy a tire most times even more than the object which causes the flat. Plug kits are the best hope for a quick fix. Sometimes it may even be a permanent fix.

Old 02-28-2008, 07:30 AM

Why can't they just cut off the plug from the inside of the tire and then put a patch over the hole?

Old 02-28-2008, 04:30 PM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by stlas69
Why can't they just cut off the plug from the inside of the tire and then put a patch over the hole?
At Discount Tire that is the "Company Policy" if a tire has been plugged they will not patch it. Thanks for all the replys, I think I'm gonna try to get a small local tire shop to put a patch in it for me.

Old 02-28-2008, 08:05 PM

you just need to find the right place find a not "respectable" tire place and they will do just about anything for cheap even if its somethin no other stores will like patching or plugging tires with less than legal tred to patch.

Old 02-28-2008, 08:48 PM
Administrator / Senior Member
Received 457 Likes on 321 Posts

Originally Posted by lemm2005
you just need to find the right place find a not "respectable" tire place and they will do just about anything for cheap even if its something no other stores will like patching or plugging tires with less than legal tread to patch.
Just be sure they are set up for our rims. Cheap shops may damage your rims while removing your tire.

Old 03-02-2008, 07:38 AM

The Tire Slime stuff is meant to be used in an extreme emergency. More than one tire dealer has told me that it will eat your tires from the inside if left there too long.

The idea is to use the slime to get you to a garage and then let the guys there clean out the inside of the tire and repair it the proper way.

I would say just join AAA and have a cell phone with you. Tow trucks are wonderful things.

Given how expensive these tires are for the crossfire I wouldn't risk having any tire slime damage them.

They won't take your man card away from you for doing that.

Another thing is to have a portable air compressor in your trunk. Kind of hard to see to fix a tire in the middle of the night by the side of the road.

If it is a slow leak you can always pump the tire up and get it to a garage. Or at least get you to a well lit parking lot so that you can see better when you attempt to do the tire repair.

I have portable air compressor for both of my vehicle and it has saved my life before in such situations.

Old 03-02-2008, 05:46 PM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by unc4life
The Tire Slime stuff is meant to be used in an extreme emergency. More than one tire dealer has told me that it will eat your tires from the inside if left there too long.

The idea is to use the slime to get you to a garage and then let the guys there clean out the inside of the tire and repair it the proper way.

I would say just join AAA and have a cell phone with you. Tow trucks are wonderful things.

Given how expensive these tires are for the crossfire I wouldn't risk having any tire slime damage them.

They won't take your man card away from you for doing that.

Another thing is to have a portable air compressor in your trunk. Kind of hard to see to fix a tire in the middle of the night by the side of the road.

If it is a slow leak you can always pump the tire up and get it to a garage. Or at least get you to a well lit parking lot so that you can see better when you attempt to do the tire repair.

I have portable air compressor for both of my vehicle and it has saved my life before in such situations.
The AAA card is a good idea, I already have one. It's my "spare tire". I just need to fix a slow leak. I'm gonna take it to a tire shop that will patch it. As for the compresser, You already have one in the cargo hatch. It's part of the tire fit kit. Now as for my "man card" I don't think anyone here is big enough to take it away.

Old 03-02-2008, 07:13 PM
Life is random...so am I.

The reason most tire retailers won't patch a plugged tire is that typically when you install a plug, you have to ream out the hole first. A patch is not as thick as the casing of your tire, if they remove the screw/nail/whatever, it leaves a small gash. Once you remove the inflicting object, you grab the little file reamer and make the hole bigger. In effect, what you will have if that hole is patched is a tire with a 1/4 inch hole and a 2 millimeter soft rubber patch covering it. A rock in the right place will cause the patch to blow out, causing rapid deflation of the tire.