Wheels, Brakes, Tires and Suspension Open discussion for tires/rims/lowering springs/brakes etc...

XFire is gone for the weekend :(

Old 03-21-2008, 09:15 AM
Forum Regular
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default XFire is gone for the weekend :(

I just returned from my dealer and I'm bummed out. I had a slow leak in my left rear tire, and it has a screw through the side wall right where it meets the tread. Bad news means it needs a new tire. Further bad news is they need to replace them in pairs. Further bad news is they can't get the replacement until Monday.

My XFire only has 6500 miles on it. The Service Manager told me I would have to pay to replace the tire that is still good and only has 6500 miles on it. He told me it would be $350 plus 1/2 labor to change and balance it. I told the SM that I've only had the car a month and didn't expect to pay anything. I think he forgot that the owner and I are friends. He went to the back room and talked to one of the higher ups at the dealership and they agreed to put two new tires on the rear at no charge. Now that was good news.

They gave me a loaner, not a XFire, but a 2008 Jeep Liberty to use for the weekend. It will sit in my driveway and I'll use the Hemi instead.

Question...Do you think I should try to buy back the Conti tire that didn't have the screw in it if I can get it for short money? That way there I would have it at home in case of emergency. I even thought of buying an extra 19" wheel to put it on. Good move? Bad move?

Bob M

Old 03-21-2008, 09:23 AM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Re: XFire is gone for the weekend :(

IMHO the odds of a flat these days is so slim I don't think it's worth the money. Besides, when your Condi's wear out you may want to consider other tires. I know I can't wait to replace mine on the SRT with Goodyear Eagle F1's.

Old 03-21-2008, 02:44 PM
Administrator / Senior Member
Received 486 Likes on 337 Posts
Default Re: XFire is gone for the weekend :(

Glad you worked it out to get 2 new tires free of charge.
I pretty certain that they were bullshi*ting you regarding needing to change them both. I had to replace a front tire with 18k miles on it and the wear on the left front was only 2/32 less than new. I only needed the one tire and even on the front had no issues with pulling or anything else. Someone was just trying to get your money an it backfired anyway.