Wheels, Brakes, Tires and Suspension Open discussion for tires/rims/lowering springs/brakes etc...

Low Tire Pressure Light

Old 07-17-2008, 06:04 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb Low Tire Pressure Light

Hey guys, have any of you had your low tire pressure light come on, check all 4, and find that they are ok? how did you all get the light to go off? my pressure is fine in all four. A guy at the dealership said it might be a sensor in one of the wheels thats bad. Is this where the sensors are? (he was refferring to a sensor in the valve that you put air in.) let me know.
THANKS!
Tusk

Old 07-17-2008, 08:03 AM
She can ride with me ;)
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: Low Tire Pressure Light

How long has the light been on? I've noticed that when I lower my pressure for racing it takes a while to come on. Then I put them back to standard pressure to go home from the races, the light takes a while to turn off.

The sensor the mechanic is talking about is the TPMS sensor. It is a squarish device mounted inside your wheel. I believe they are connected to the valve stem on the inside of the wheel (you can't see them without removing the tire). But don't quote me on that.

A new sensor shouldn't be expensive. Tire rack only charges about $35 for a new sensor, so don't let the stealership rob you for a big chunk of change to replace it.

Old 07-17-2008, 10:04 AM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by tom2112
How long has the light been on? I've noticed that when I lower my pressure for racing it takes a while to come on. Then I put them back to standard pressure to go home from the races, the light takes a while to turn off.

The sensor the mechanic is talking about is the TPMS sensor. It is a squarish device mounted inside your wheel. I believe they are connected to the valve stem on the inside of the wheel (you can't see them without removing the tire). But don't quote me on that.

A new sensor shouldn't be expensive. Tire rack only charges about $35 for a new sensor, so don't let the stealership rob you for a big chunk of change to replace it.
WOW! I was quoted $117 per sensor from my dealer. I just called TireRack and "Jason" told me $32 each. Guaranteed to work with our cars.

That's the way to go.

But, if you haven't already done this, the dealer should "talk" to each of the sensors you have installed and determine if one is actually bad.

Old 07-17-2008, 02:13 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey Tom, These are squaring looking things on the valve that sticks out of the wheel(the stem that you put air into) that the guy at the dealer said one could be bad. The light has been on since Tuesday morning. Is there a way to turn it off yourself? How would I know which one out of the four is bad?
Tusk

Old 07-17-2008, 06:06 PM
She can ride with me ;)
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by thallc230
Hey Tom, These are squaring looking things on the valve that sticks out of the wheel(the stem that you put air into) that the guy at the dealer said one could be bad. The light has been on since Tuesday morning. Is there a way to turn it off yourself? How would I know which one out of the four is bad?
Tusk
Well, if the light has been on since Tuesday, and you're sure you've had the right pressure in them for a couple hours at least, the light should go off.

So it's probable that one of the sensors is bad. I don't know how you could tell which one is bad. I'm sure the dealer could tell you, as they can plug in the car's computer and it will say. But they'll prolly charge you for that, especially if you're not going to buy the part from them. You may want to stop and ask at a tire shop, there may be a simple way to tell.