Old 04-07-2008, 12:42 PM
Steve Hellums
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: SL55 Setup Fact, Fiction or Matter of Opinion?

Originally Posted by SRT6 Gang Member
I installed the SL55 setup about a week ago (THANKS BB) and finally got to the track. This was my third trip to the track and as a rule I limit myself to three passes. My second track visit was stock and my personal best was 8.6xx (looking for time slip) but averaged 8.7xx. You can find my first track visit under the My first time…Let herrr RIP…I think? thread with stock numbers. Anyway, made my usual three passes and called it a day/night, leaving with mixed reviews about the SL55 setup.

First run
60'- 2.048
1/8- 8.610
Trap- 82

Second run
60'- 2.05x
1/8- 8.64x
Trap- 81

Third run
60'- N/A
1/8- 8.68x
Trap- N/A (left with out time slip)

As you can see with the SL55 setup I managed to stay in the 8.6 ranges. I would be REALLY excited about that, if I didn’t run an 8.6xx stock. I did not have any slippage issues with the SL55 but had major problems running stock. One could say track preparation caused that issue but I’m going to say this.
  • The SL55 setup robs the car of low-end power (minimizing slipping) but attempts to make up “lost time” in the higher RPM.
  • I know heat soak is an issue for our cars. So, IMO the larger air boxes means increased air temps, which contributes to the problem (based on progressively worse numbers).
I will head back to the track on Thursday for my second run with the SL55 setup, to obtain a base line prior to pulley install. Expecting at least an 8.5xx with this setup .

Edit- slip numbers were bundled.
Unless you are running a bigger pulley I don't think the SL55 "Y" will gain you that much. The 3.2 OEM "Y" should be more than enough for what the stock pulley can feed the S/C.