View Single Post
Old 12-14-2010, 09:33 PM
pizzaguy
Administrator
Received 878 Likes on 684 Posts
Default Re: Relay Replacement In Rcm

That LOOKS like the right one. The specs in the link look right and I believe our relays are "Form A" which are SPST (single pole, single throw - that means their contacts "make" only when power is applied to the coil, when power is removed, the contacts relax but there is no "normally open" contact that then is connected to the "common" pin. This makes since, since our relays are used to turn on the fuel pump, starter, etc. They are not used to switch between one thing with power applied to the relay coil and another with power not applied to the relay coil).

I have looked and looked, looks like all relays in the diagrams ARE SPST "Form A" type. The ELECTRICAL specs are fine, I just wonder about the pinout - are these pins in the exact same position as ours? Hard to tell from photos, but I bet they are. I think this is a winner, 100/80. How much are they in lots of one or two? I'd spend a few dollars to get one in my hands - if they are 'the one', it'd pay for someone among us to have a few! (Thinking of a guy in Arizona we all know, but then, if they are a few dollars, I'll keep some around here.)

You can unsolder these using a clean iron and "Solder Wick", just so you are careful. I find that flowing a lot of EXTRA solder on first makes the wick work better. But I prefer to use my desoldering vacuum.

I hate to think of just how many modules that are replaced just because one relay gets sluggish or it's contacts get pitted. Relays ARE notoriously unreliable.