View Single Post
Old 03-22-2013, 11:15 AM
Mrmiata
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Re: Carbon Fiber Rear Diffusers

Originally Posted by JHM2K
  1. Interest is certainly here, on a broad scale. 13 people in one day... many people don't log on daily so expect this number to rise.
  2. The copies are priced at $250 because the originals were $250... if people will pay it, why charge less? Remember, Chrysler charges anywhere between $50-$80 for a plastic bin that goes in place of their rotten cupholder design. It's not a matter of what costs to produce -- it's what the manufacturer has the ***** to charge
  3. I'd volunteer a set, but I don't have a set. Anyone out there? .
I'm with Les -- price can wiggle a bit, given the rarity of the product. Fit & finish is paramount, but I'm not as concerned with weight... so if this needs to be a carbon-wrapped fiberglass piece, so be it. I don't expect Vörsteiner pre-preg quality for $250... I'm realistic. That being said, if the price climbs over $400, it won't sell well -- because I can buy the fiberglass reproduction for $250 and have it wrapped in CF locallly for roughly the same cost... no group-buy needed.
And just as a footnote, I've ran across OEM ads pricing showing just over $200 on these, and you know that wasn't an "our cost clearance". I know in our business (sheetmetal and fabrication) we give a quote based on feeble prints and design. Does it not work this way in the mold production world?
Or is this going to be "somebody" go buy a set so they can build it and charge what they want for development from it and we'll let you know after you pay for the prototype what we can build it for?
Basically somebody invest a grand so they can let you know what it will cost in a production run.. ?

Like I stated earlier "this is not my world.. I'm just a squirrel trying to get a nut.."