View Single Post
Old 05-07-2015, 04:22 PM
pizzaguy
Administrator
Received 887 Likes on 691 Posts
Default Re: P0410 code check engine light

Originally Posted by janetsordia@yahoo.com
Well my check engine light has been on for 2 wks now. I decided to go by Auto Zone so they could detect where the problem is. It showed codes P0410 and P0456 so, I bought a Smart For Two / Mercedes Vacuum Check Valve 0021408460. Now I just need to know where it's location is so I can change it out. Do you have an idea of it's location.
The P4010 indicates a problem with the secondary air injection pump at the front of the engine - this pump runs to inject extra air into the exhaust to preheat the CATS faster. It is usually caused by broken solder connections on the Relay Control Board. In 70,000 miles, mine has done it twice. I yank the RCM and reflow solder around the (obvious to the eye) broken joints at the connector on the board and all is well for about two years, then it does it again. Happens to a lot of us.

P0456 is indication of a leak in the evaporative emissions control system (that is, the gas tank pressure test that the car does every few engine start/stop cycles.) This is most often caused by a loose or defective gas cap.

I believe the part you are referring to is a check valve used in the EGR system. But 401 and 456 are not EGR codes. I THINK my new EGR valve came with one of those already installed, but I can't say for sure and I'm 770 miles from my car. The EGR is on the passenger side of the engine in the back - remove the air intake and it's staring at you at the back of the cylinder block, atop the valve covers. There is NO mention of this part in the emissions control chapter (25) of the service manual and I notice that it is not listed as a part for the SLK320 at all. Why did you buy that part?

Last edited by pizzaguy; 05-07-2015 at 04:33 PM.