Old 04-10-2017, 10:45 PM
Ksmi87
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Talking Re: What RPM is best shiftpoint - manual 6 speed

Originally Posted by Padgett
Modern engines with VVT tesnt to wind higher than old style. The 3.2 in the Crossie doesn't have VVT but it does have and inlet thingie. Frankly I don't entirely understand putting an eight speed transmission with a 2.2:1 torque converter behind something with a 90% torque plateau over 4,000 rpm wide...

As to my manual transmission, I do not consider it a six speed, it is a five speed with 1:1 fourth, overdrive fifth and a granny gear below 1st.

With a 4.46:1 ratio it is suitable for malls, parades, heavy traffic, and going straight up the side of a wall.

Mine is fastest starting with the 2.61 gear, tad under as a wide ratio Muncie (2.52). If I start hard in first, am shifting to second half way through an intersection and the way I shift (friends say it sounds like an automagic), the traction control then takes over.

ps is also great for teaching someone how to use a clutch. Starting in first it is nearly impossible to stall.

pps don't really know where I shift, when having fun just when I feel the acceleration start to drop off & when not do not look at the tach. Would be happier with 2,000 rpm at 70 (normal cruise around here) and have a 2.87 I just have not gotten a round tuit.

climb straight up a wall ---- priceless .... ive found myself using first to pull slowly away from gas pumps