Engine, Exhaust, Transmission and Differential Post questions here that have to do with the engine, cooling system, air intake, exhaust, Transmission and Differential

What RPM is best shiftpoint - manual 6 speed

Old 04-08-2017, 07:06 PM
Received 505 Likes on 349 Posts
Default Re: What RPM is best shiftpoint - manual 6 speed

Originally Posted by GraphiteGhost
I did at my first dragon... Only things I was concerned with was the very heated brakes, and my passenger almost having another coronary! Mine is an auto, so all I had to do was hit the gas, and hit the brakes (and of course, steer like a *****)... Awesome memories at that dragon, but then again you ALWAYS remember your first, right?

I put SRT brakes on my roadster which should help with that,,,,assuming I ever use them

A Stick Shift thru the Dragon needs very little braking. Use the engine. Drop to Third gear, pull to second as you round the hairpin. Hit the gas.

Transmissions are built for driving.

Brakes are for stopping

Keep those wheels rolling thru the twisties or you will just slide off the road.

Old 04-09-2017, 12:01 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up Re: What RPM is best shiftpoint - manual 6 speed

Originally Posted by onehundred80
Paper filters (cellulose) are possibly OK, we used them for years remember? They may not stand up to the extended oil change periods specified these days. The so called "fleece" (Polyester) filter does stand up to the new oil change periods.
Unnamed Chinese paper filters used by cheap oil change outfits may not last well at all, I had one when I purchased the car, it was almost flat.
Aren't those air filters for the SRT6? An initial check said they were.
Yes, wrong number.
The filter number
Mann C 2861-2 is given and shown in this post from way back. CLICK

***got returns rolling for the air filter / spark plug socket / and oil filter - much appreciated**

and the headlights are LED.. and they work amazing.. but throw a slight static to the FM radio when activated.. Ill settle for Bluetooth Sirius through my phone - I would rather see a deer than worry about the radio at night lol

Old 04-09-2017, 11:59 AM
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

I have a 04 ssb 6 speed, I have drove many manual trans from pickups, cars, old tractors, freightliner, eaton 10 speeds, 2 speed rearend needing to split every gear and 5 low then 4 high.
Clutch feel and how it shifts took a little getting used to but wouldn't have it any other way.
I drive many hours on interstate every week, between 8-12 hrs with cruise set and around 2,500 - 2,600 rpm most of the time, just hit 140,000 miles last week, this trans needs alittle more aggressive shifting than others, I have changed my oil twice both with royal purple, 1st time I drain I seen the shimmer in the oil, last time it was clean and looked like it was just put in.
This is the same nsg370 that is in the 6 speed jeep wranglers that they put in later after the crossfire, it holds up good in the wrangler and some tow with it, and wranglers has a higher tow rating.
When I researched the tow rating with the manual trans I found it had a tow rating of 3,300 lbs, don't remember exactly which site said that, but helps give a idea of capacity of transmission, if not for the flex discs in driveshafts it would probably have a higher rating.
I shift around 3,500, unless I want more acceleration or want to hear my dual exhaust, I think it had a great tone.
But last 100,000 miles the silverfox spends 80% of the time at 2,500 or more she runs great, took getting used to the higher review engines, but the alusil coated cylinders is to keep from cylinder wear.

Old 04-09-2017, 12:06 PM

If at a dead stop, I always start off in 1st.

Old 04-09-2017, 02:32 PM
Received 368 Likes on 320 Posts

Originally Posted by Franc Rauscher
I put SRT brakes on my roadster which should help with that,,,,assuming I ever use them....

....Keep those wheels rolling thru the twisties or you will just slide off the road.

Hi Franc, OEM brakes were fine for me, had a blast and did not have much fade. I obviously didn't brake in the turns, not a newb here. Straightaway braking hard, tended to heat the brakes a lot (DUH). I also powered through the curves, actually didn't use the tranny in manual mode, much (auto). Kept up pretty good with the SRT-6's, I thought (and a few others did as well).

Old 04-09-2017, 08:08 PM

Originally Posted by Speedy4x4
If at a dead stop, I always start off in 1st.

Im definitely getting more used to how this car shifts now after 1 week of driving. like you said in your earlier post - I too have fallen in love with it wouldn't have it any other way.

I see we are both from the same neck of the woods speedy - what part of SO IL are you?

Old 04-09-2017, 08:19 PM

Originally Posted by Ksmi87

I see we are both from the same neck of the woods speedy - what part of SO IL are you?
Sweet, hopefully close
I live south of murphysboro on Shawnee hills wine trail, just outside of carbondale, west of marion.

Where are you from ?

Old 04-09-2017, 08:44 PM
Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

Modern engines with VVT tesnt to wind higher than old style. The 3.2 in the Crossie doesn't have VVT but it does have and inlet thingie. Frankly I don't entirely understand putting an eight speed transmission with a 2.2:1 torque converter behind something with a 90% torque plateau over 4,000 rpm wide...

As to my manual transmission, I do not consider it a six speed, it is a five speed with 1:1 fourth, overdrive fifth and a granny gear below 1st.

With a 4.46:1 ratio it is suitable for malls, parades, heavy traffic, and going straight up the side of a wall.

Mine is fastest starting with the 2.61 gear, tad under as a wide ratio Muncie (2.52). If I start hard in first, am shifting to second half way through an intersection and the way I shift (friends say it sounds like an automagic), the traction control then takes over.

ps is also great for teaching someone how to use a clutch. Starting in first it is nearly impossible to stall.

pps don't really know where I shift, when having fun just when I feel the acceleration start to drop off & when not do not look at the tach. Would be happier with 2,000 rpm at 70 (normal cruise around here) and have a 2.87 I just have not gotten a round tuit.

Old 04-10-2017, 10:45 PM
Talking Re: What RPM is best shiftpoint - manual 6 speed

Originally Posted by Padgett
Modern engines with VVT tesnt to wind higher than old style. The 3.2 in the Crossie doesn't have VVT but it does have and inlet thingie. Frankly I don't entirely understand putting an eight speed transmission with a 2.2:1 torque converter behind something with a 90% torque plateau over 4,000 rpm wide...

As to my manual transmission, I do not consider it a six speed, it is a five speed with 1:1 fourth, overdrive fifth and a granny gear below 1st.

With a 4.46:1 ratio it is suitable for malls, parades, heavy traffic, and going straight up the side of a wall.

Mine is fastest starting with the 2.61 gear, tad under as a wide ratio Muncie (2.52). If I start hard in first, am shifting to second half way through an intersection and the way I shift (friends say it sounds like an automagic), the traction control then takes over.

ps is also great for teaching someone how to use a clutch. Starting in first it is nearly impossible to stall.

pps don't really know where I shift, when having fun just when I feel the acceleration start to drop off & when not do not look at the tach. Would be happier with 2,000 rpm at 70 (normal cruise around here) and have a 2.87 I just have not gotten a round tuit.

climb straight up a wall ---- priceless .... ive found myself using first to pull slowly away from gas pumps

Old 04-10-2017, 10:47 PM

down shifting to slow up in speed zones when entering towns is a little trickier ive found in the crossie... almost like a tractor and trailer having to wind rpm up from 5th to 4th... otherwise im burnin the pads up more than necessary..

I think someone on here earlier referenced the dragon to teach one to downshift (d s is for driving... braking is for stopping) words of wisdom right there

Old 04-10-2017, 10:48 PM
Lightbulb Re: What RPM is best shiftpoint - manual 6 speed

Sweet, hopefully close
I live south of murphysboro on Shawnee hills wine trail, just outside of carbondale, west of marion.

Where are you from ?

I used to live over there toward hurst when I went to SIU.. the wifey and I just bought a house in Benton but I Work just south of marion... yes... you are pretty close lol

Old 04-11-2017, 12:15 AM

Originally Posted by GraphiteGhost
Hi Franc, OEM brakes were fine for me, had a blast and did not have much fade. I obviously didn't brake in the turns, not a newb here. Straightaway braking hard, tended to heat the brakes a lot (DUH). I also powered through the curves, actually didn't use the tranny in manual mode, much (auto). Kept up pretty good with the SRT-6's, I thought (and a few others did as well).

Thanks for that!
At the Dragon or any such style driving thru the twisties, the Crossfire machine does more to advance your skills than a quick supercharged power plant. I have never had trouble keeping up with the SRT crowd in the twisties, Not because I'm particularly good, or because my engine is well modded, but because the Crossfire chassis is superb.

Running the Dragon in the automatic mode,,, just put it in third and you will be fine. Let the tranny do the work and help it a bit with light braking. Glad it worked good for you.

But to go aggressive with the NA, against an also aggressive trained driver in an SRT-6, you'll likely need a bit more. That's where the manual lets you take command of all the forces at your disposal. Feathering the clutch instead of tapping the brakes is so much better than waiting for the Computer to allow a downshift on it's terms. Whether is is a better outcome or not is arguable ad-infinitum. But what you feel thru you own body, hands, feet, shoulders, @ss meter, all in sync with the car is un- mistakable.

Me and Jane Bridges did it once. She chased me thru all 11 miles of it. Almost as good as sex.

Old 04-11-2017, 12:20 AM

Originally Posted by Padgett

If you and your Crossie are getting along, your manual should shift automatically. I find I pay little attention to it and all is well. As soon as I start thinking about shift points and all that technical stuff, it goes to hell.

Last edited by Franc Rauscher; 04-13-2017 at 10:16 PM.
Old 04-11-2017, 12:26 AM

I used to live over there toward hurst when I went to SIU.. the wifey and I just bought a house in Benton but I Work just south of marion... yes... you are pretty close lol

Benton IL is only an hour out of St Louis. If you haven't already, you should join our Gateway Crossfire Club. Unlike me, most of the folks are fairly normal

Old 04-11-2017, 07:08 AM

Sweet I sent you a pm with my cell, send me a text maybe we can meet up sometime, I am working in Louisville atm, drive right by there on thursdays.

Old 04-11-2017, 07:12 AM

Benton IL is only an hour out of St Louis. If you haven't already, you should join our Gateway Crossfire Club. Unlike me, most of the folks are fairly normal
I have been wanting to meet up with them, but I don't have a Facebook.
If I was I would see if they want me to take them around the southern illinois wine trail.

Old 04-13-2017, 08:13 PM
Exclamation Re: What RPM is best shiftpoint - manual 6 speed

If I was I would see if they want me to take them around the southern illinois wine trail.

oh id be all over that... its about 20 min from my place

ill search it on fb a little later thanks

Old 04-13-2017, 08:23 PM

oh id be all over that... its about 20 min from my place

ill search it on fb a little later thanks
Spillway road around crab orchard is a fun road to drive on

Had a blast a couple years ago with a new bmw z4
I drive through benton every Thursday omw home in the evenings, send me a text and I can stop by sometime.
Me and wife usually go on the wine trail on fridays during the day, they are empty

Old 04-13-2017, 10:14 PM

We have done the southern Illinois wine trail and would do it again. We have members from Bloomington IL to Vandalia IN.

I don't use face book but my wife does it with the local members. Put a route together, send a PM and I'll bet all the whiners here at Gateway will be interested.

Most of them have left the Forum but I'm still around from time to time. And I check it at least once a day.

Old 04-13-2017, 11:48 PM
Thumbs up Re: What RPM is best shiftpoint - manual 6 speed

We have done the southern Illinois wine trail and would do it again. We have members from Bloomington IL to Vandalia IN.

I don't use face book but my wife does it with the local members. Put a route together, send a PM and I'll bet all the whiners here at Gateway will be interested.

Most of them have left the Forum but I'm still around from time to time. And I check it at least once a day.

I will look into a route... I know the w trail down here is very nice... plus you can go deeper into the Shawnee national forest or bald **** cross..

we have never been on a run before that would be awesome