Thread: Top Speed?
View Single Post
Old 07-22-2018, 12:04 AM
onehundred80
Received 551 Likes on 463 Posts
Default Re: Top Speed?

Originally Posted by SteveS
Exactly ... and, FYI, that continues to be true as your speed increases ... I've driven other cars at speeds beyond 100mph before, but never in a car that settles and sits down the way this one does. In all others, one can feel the car "lift" which decreases the footprint of the tire on the road ... and that lift is what has always scared me before ... I'd have no problem giving the car its head and seeing just how fast it CAN go, but there just aren't many roads on which to do so without fear of the local gendarmes and receipt of a reckless driving citation ...
I tried my ‘65 Mercury down a hill on a highway once, just once because it scared me a bit. I felt that I could have spun the steering wheel and it would have had little affect on the direction I was going. Over a 100 on the clock and some definite puckering on my part. I think if it had lifted 1” more I would have taken off. Funny thing was it was faster than my ‘73 Mustang which practically died at 75 mph and sucked gas like there was a hole in the tank.
I tried out my ‘93 Chrysler Concorde one time and at a hundred it was just fine.
Never got there in a Crossfire, the fine, 30 day confiscation of the car and insurance hikes kill that notion these days. All that happens at the equivalent of 30 mph over the limit.