View Single Post
Old 12-04-2018, 12:26 PM
onehundred80
Received 551 Likes on 463 Posts
Default Re: Dash instrument lights dead

Originally Posted by Lightning10
More follow up... fuse 11 blew again without shifter light connected. Reconnected shifter light and removed license plate bulbs. Fuse does not blow. Then installed LED bulbs in the license plate sockets and still fuse does NOT blow but the lamp out indicator comes on. Put the incandescent bulbs back in license plate sockets and fuse blows immediately. Strange thing is that the owners manual calls out 168 bulbs but they are clearly the long bulbs, 1154's I think. I cannot understand why all of the sudden these bulbs are straining the circuit but I guess I need to switch to LED. Does anyone know where I can get LEDs that will not trip the lamp out indicator?
I think the best option is to replace the two rear light sockets and bulbs with the no error units you can find on eBay. About $15 to $20 a pair they are much brighter. These are direct replacements and can be used in the trunk as well to replace at least the coupe trunk light. They are much brighter as no light is wasted lighting up behind the trunk liner.
If you go to the ‘Index of ......’ in my signature and go down to interior there is a PDF on replacing the trunk light, the light units are shown. I added a light in the other side and the trunk is very well lit now. I also put two similar lights in the foot wells.