Exterior & Lighting Any questions related to exterior, lighting and styling go in here.

Dash instrument lights dead

Old 11-29-2018, 07:46 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dash instrument lights dead

I did a search in the forums but did not find anything. This morning I started the car and proceeded to work as always. Lights on with no issues. Stopped at 7 Eleven for coffee. When I restarted the car I turned on the lights but no lights on the instrument panel came on and I got the "Bulb Out" indicator. Lights on the center console for heater controls also out and the window switch lights are also out. I assumed since they all were out it was a fuse but did not find any bad on a visual inspection of fuses. When I 1st turn the key on all the warning lights work as normal, just no background lights for speedometer, tach, etc. Any thoughts?

Old 11-29-2018, 08:23 PM
Received 61 Likes on 52 Posts
Default Re: Dash instrument lights dead

Do the signals and hazards work? My first thought is a faulty illumination module.

Old 11-29-2018, 09:07 PM

Yes, turn signals and hazards work fine.

Old 11-29-2018, 09:09 PM
Received 543 Likes on 459 Posts

Originally Posted by Lightning10
I did a search in the forums but did not find anything. This morning I started the car and proceeded to work as always. Lights on with no issues. Stopped at 7 Eleven for coffee. When I restarted the car I turned on the lights but no lights on the instrument panel came on and I got the "Bulb Out" indicator. Lights on the center console for heater controls also out and the window switch lights are also out. I assumed since they all were out it was a fuse but did not find any bad on a visual inspection of fuses. When I 1st turn the key on all the warning lights work as normal, just no background lights for speedometer, tach, etc. Any thoughts?
Is it possible that the dash light dimmer is turned to the lowest position.
If an interior light fails it does not light up the light out indicator, only an exterior bulb failure does that.

Last edited by onehundred80; 11-29-2018 at 09:12 PM.
Old 11-29-2018, 11:45 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A visual check for blown fuses is probably not sufficient for aging cars such as ours. I know it's time-consuming, but the removal of the fuse and checking it with a multimeter is a more certain process; and re-inserting the fuse may burnish the connections enough to correct the malfunction.

Old 11-30-2018, 09:06 AM

Another check this morning revealed the license plate lights are out also which would kick the lamp out indicator. I am assuming this is related to the instrument lights so going back to checking those fuses. I recently installed an LED lighted shift handle and plugged the power for that into my power side of the lighted left window switch. That was 6 weeks ago but maybe it is pulling enough power to finally pop the fuse? I would not think an LED would pull enough amps to pop the fuse but maybe the fuse was ready to go anyway. I will troubleshoot the fuse and hopefully the license plate lights are on the same fuse as the cluster lighting. I have not looked at the manual yet but am assuming it is all on the same circuit.

Old 11-30-2018, 10:57 AM
Received 343 Likes on 303 Posts

Please let everyone know the outcome.

Old 11-30-2018, 11:05 AM
Received 133 Likes on 111 Posts

If you had a short in the lighted shift **** wired from widow circuit it would blow the fuse in that circuit. I bought the same shifter and wired it off the window circuit. Love the way it feels,looks and works especially in reverse . Sorry can't be of more help

Old 12-01-2018, 12:54 PM

Yes, fuse 11 keeps popping. Disconnected the shifter and everything is fine. I guess I need to wire it to a different circuit. Strange that it was good for 6 weeks and now is acting up.

Old 12-04-2018, 11:52 AM

More follow up... fuse 11 blew again without shifter light connected. Reconnected shifter light and removed license plate bulbs. Fuse does not blow. Then installed LED bulbs in the license plate sockets and still fuse does NOT blow but the lamp out indicator comes on. Put the incandescent bulbs back in license plate sockets and fuse blows immediately. Strange thing is that the owners manual calls out 168 bulbs but they are clearly the long bulbs, 1154's I think. I cannot understand why all of the sudden these bulbs are straining the circuit but I guess I need to switch to LED. Does anyone know where I can get LEDs that will not trip the lamp out indicator?

Old 12-04-2018, 12:08 PM
Received 133 Likes on 111 Posts

You can buy them most anywhere where they sell automotive lighting just make sure you get canbus or error free led bulbs they won't affect your light out system. Here's a place that has good prices: https://www.superbrightleds.com

Old 12-04-2018, 12:26 PM

More follow up... fuse 11 blew again without shifter light connected. Reconnected shifter light and removed license plate bulbs. Fuse does not blow. Then installed LED bulbs in the license plate sockets and still fuse does NOT blow but the lamp out indicator comes on. Put the incandescent bulbs back in license plate sockets and fuse blows immediately. Strange thing is that the owners manual calls out 168 bulbs but they are clearly the long bulbs, 1154's I think. I cannot understand why all of the sudden these bulbs are straining the circuit but I guess I need to switch to LED. Does anyone know where I can get LEDs that will not trip the lamp out indicator?
I think the best option is to replace the two rear light sockets and bulbs with the no error units you can find on eBay. About $15 to $20 a pair they are much brighter. These are direct replacements and can be used in the trunk as well to replace at least the coupe trunk light. They are much brighter as no light is wasted lighting up behind the trunk liner.
If you go to the ‘Index of ......’ in my signature and go down to interior there is a PDF on replacing the trunk light, the light units are shown. I added a light in the other side and the trunk is very well lit now. I also put two similar lights in the foot wells.

Old 12-04-2018, 12:39 PM

Will the no error units trigger the lamp out indicator? The only ones I found on eBay so far are China or Hong Kong.... Yuck!

Old 12-04-2018, 12:58 PM
Received 153 Likes on 141 Posts

NO, and yes. If all the little elements are working, there should be no indicator IF the bulb is classed as "CAN bus".
However, if a couple of the little elements go out, you will get the light out indicator, so this makes it a bit problematic
in finding the offending bulb, since visually you can still see light coming from the bulb.
I had this happen on my front right marker lamp, looked OK from the outside, but when I pulled the bulb I could see 2 elements were not working.
I put in a good spare CANBUS LED bulb, no more light out indicator.

Last edited by ala_xfire; 12-04-2018 at 01:01 PM.
Old 12-04-2018, 01:05 PM

Will the no error units trigger the lamp out indicator? The only ones I found on eBay so far are China or Hong Kong.... Yuck!
No error means no lamp out indicator. You could possibly buy them from a US supplier but he will have got them from China and you will then buy them from him at a marked up price.
If that makes you feel it will help make the US great again you can go ahead and buy them from the US supplier. Remember the US makers sent all this stuff overseas to get it made cheaper and now the offshore makers have learnt how to make it and are cutting out the middleman. Blame the makers here for firing their US workers and getting some sweatshop in the far East to make it cheaper.

These are the type of light I am talking about. CLICK

Old 12-04-2018, 02:20 PM
Received 375 Likes on 325 Posts
Old 12-04-2018, 03:07 PM

Thanks all.... I have ordered them and will try to run just one bulb for now and see if the fuse holds up.

Old 12-04-2018, 09:24 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here's another one: https://www.ebay.com/itm/132872785915?ul_noapp=true

Old 12-05-2018, 09:22 PM
Received 375 Likes on 325 Posts

Originally Posted by ambidextrous

Are these the ones that will not trip the lamp out idiot light on the dash pod? Plus, they are 2 bucks more than the link I posted that ARE lamp out "OK" (meaning not supposed to trip that 'lamp out' dash pod light).

Old 12-05-2018, 10:16 PM

Originally Posted by GraphiteGhost
Are these the ones that will not trip the lamp out idiot light on the dash pod? Plus, they are 2 bucks more than the link I posted that ARE lamp out "OK" (meaning not supposed to trip that 'lamp out' dash pod light).

If you read all of the ad for the first lamp that sells for less than $10 that you first listed you will see that you get two light units. Go to the very bottom of the listing and it definitely states two.
I’ll let you know for sure as I ordered them.

Quick Reply: Dash instrument lights dead