Old 02-28-2020, 05:57 PM
BeekeeperRob
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Exterior Garnish Trim failure with JB Weld

Originally Posted by onehundred80
What you need to use is double-sided tape that is the same thickness as the OEM tape. Not just any DS tape but a VHB or UHB tape.
VHB is Very High Bond and UHB is Ultra High Bond. JB Weld or any other such cement is NFG for this job.
How thick is the OEM tape? This is an important question as you do not want to use a tape that is too much thicker or thinner than the existing OEM tape.
By coincidence, I have been looking into writing a How-To thread on this subject.
The common 3M DS tape is not the best to use and is outperformed by other common DS tapes, VHB and UHB are the best tapes for the job and come in various thicknesses.
DS tape allows for expansion and contraction of the trim piece, solid setting types of cement do not allow for expansion and are put under shear forces.
The surfaces must be cleaned with alcohol or acetone prior to using DS tape for best results, it should be applied and left for some (?) hours before it is at the strongest bond.
JB Weld is good but not right for this job.
Where can I find this VHB or UHB tape? I would love to buy it local, but I will order it tonight if I need to go through the internet. I have no idea what thickness I need. Should that be something that’s the same or close on most crossfires? Mine is a 2005 STR6 coup. I will try to measure it but, how exactly and how exact does the measurement to be? Sorry for all the questions, I’m just trying to get it done and ready for a car show.