Interior Any questions or information related to interior go in here.

Exterior Garnish Trim failure with JB Weld

Old 02-29-2020, 10:01 PM
Received 573 Likes on 479 Posts
Default Re: Exterior Garnish Trim failure with JB Weld

Originally Posted by velociabstract
Here's my old thread. https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum...rim-loose.html
The clips are held to the trim pieces with some form of double sided adhesive foam. Usually they clips stay attached to the car when the trim is taken off ... improperly taken off. Pry the clips off the car, use double sided 3M tape to attach them to the trim (you'll see where they were) and snap them back in place on the car. Easy peasy once you know how it comes apart and goes together.
I had to deal with this problem because the people that replaced my windshield ... ahem .... buggered the job! They used windshield adhesive to hold it together until I drove off. Real shady, but they didn't have a clue how the clips worked either. Hope this helps.

Les
The trim tool is pried against the glass, correct?
Does the trim pry against the centre of the trim clip or one end of the trim clip?
Not having a good photo of the assembly it is hard to figure out the relationship of the clips to each other.
The trip clip nestles under the top lip of the trim strip?

Last edited by onehundred80; 02-29-2020 at 10:03 PM.
Old 02-29-2020, 11:15 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by onehundred80
Does the trim pry against the centre of the trim clip or one end of the trim clip?
Not having a good photo of the assembly it is hard to figure out the relationship of the clips to each other.
Hum, I had not thought of that I have been staring at one end and just pulling it up. Are you suppose to be using some king of tool for this?

Old 02-29-2020, 11:42 PM
Received 200 Likes on 166 Posts

Originally Posted by onehundred80
I have taken the molding off from both the glass side and the roof side. It comes off using less pressure with a trim tool from the roof side, but the way the clips are designed it will not fully disengage the clip from the roof side. In one of the photos above you see the clip that attaches to the trim piece. You can see a slot in the center of the clips edge; That is the edge which is towards the glass. If it is possible to find that slot with your tool and then twist, not pry up, but twist the tool in the slot the clip will disengage easily and the trim will be free. When working from the roof side you must loosen two or three clips before you can start to lift the trim piece free as the front edge of the clip will still be hooked to the car. When you start the job you begin from the side and first disengage from the pillar piece that runs down the windshield's side. There is a plastic piece that fits from the top piece into a square bracket, also plastic on the side piece. Once that is loosened proceed inward to the first clip. I would pry from the roof side, move to the next clip and pry that loose and then to the center clip. You may find it necessary to release all the clips, there are five, by prying from the roof side before the piece will disengage from the front of the clip. It isn't easy because of the curve in the trim piece. As you try to lift or tilt it forward the ends pressure the window before the center. Just go slow and be gentle with it and it will come off. At that point you may be able to see under the trim piece while you insert a tool into the aforementioned slot and twist to get the clip separated and free the trim piece.

If you look at the picture in a post above, the pic with the entire top center trim piece, you can see the white plastic piece on the top trim that slips into the square plastic bracket of the side trim that runs down the A pillar.

Last edited by zip439; 03-01-2020 at 12:17 AM. Reason: added last paragraph
Old 03-01-2020, 12:32 AM
Received 573 Likes on 479 Posts

This is zip439's original post on how to remove the top trim.
CLICK