Exterior & Lighting Any questions related to exterior, lighting and styling go in here.

Windshield trim loose

Old 02-28-2015, 06:28 PM
Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts
Default Windshield trim loose

My windshield center trim has been singing in the wind for a while and my solution has been to tape it down. Today I had my windshield changed for the second time and the center section almost went awol on the way home. So, I need experienced opinions on a proper permanent solution. I've heard of using double sided tape, I don't see evidence of it being used from the factory however. Who has lived through this scenario and what was the resolution?

Les

Old 02-28-2015, 07:27 PM
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

On mine the clips came off the trim.
Clean through, trim and clips.
Use sandpaper and scuff the trim where clips attach and scuff clips.
I used epoxy and attached clips back on.
If I remember there are a couple dots on trim u can line up clips with.
Done mine about a year and a half ago.
I do not trust double sided tape holding on a irreplaceable item as windshield trim.

Old 02-28-2015, 07:57 PM
Default Re: Windshield trim loose

I don't know for sure if I'm missing any clips. Here's a pic I took. You can see where the ends of the center piece were glued by the installer of the prior windshield.

Les

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_1816.JPG (473.9 KB, 96 views)
Old 02-28-2015, 09:37 PM

There are a couple on top, how many are still on the trim?

Old 02-28-2015, 10:00 PM
Received 54 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by velociabstract
My windshield center trim has been singing in the wind for a while and my solution has been to tape it down. Today I had my windshield changed for the second time and the center section almost went awol on the way home. So, I need experienced opinions on a proper permanent solution. I've heard of using double sided tape, I don't see evidence of it being used from the factory however. Who has lived through this scenario and what was the resolution?

Les

I did not think the clips on the trim were attached by double sided tape from the factory. I bought a spare top piece and one clip was loose. I pried it off and found double sided tape. It's a perfect fit under the clip and with exact holes where the locating pins are. I was still skeptical about the tape coming from the factory. I've check other ebay windshield trim listings and have seen the same tape where the clips have come off. I don't know if a consumer can buy double sided tape that would be as strong as the factory. Then again, based on how many have come loose, that may prove it's not the best way to attach the clips. I was thinking epoxy was a better solution.

Last edited by Toolman; 02-28-2015 at 10:03 PM.
Old 02-28-2015, 10:10 PM

Originally Posted by Toolman
Then again, based on how many have come loose, that may prove it's not the best way to attach the clips. I was thinking epoxy was a better solution.
I felt better about epoxy if someone had some vht tape, maybe.
Buy I still like epoxy better on something that is supposed to be more permanent.

Old 03-01-2015, 05:51 AM

I'll pull the center piece and post a photo of the underside some time today. The installers felt 2 clips were missing on the ends. (See black glue around the hole) I'm not so sure. The more eyes looking the better the vision.

Les

Old 03-01-2015, 10:15 AM
Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

Not my windshield trim, but my lip spoiler on my MB is held on by double sided commercial grade tape. It's seen 140 a few times, and I can't pull it off. I have tried...lol

Old 03-01-2015, 04:02 PM
Forum Regular
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had my windshield replaced by doctor glass a week later the center piece blew off going down the interstate... I called doctor glass they ordered the piece and came to my car at work and replaced it free of charge.

Old 03-01-2015, 04:45 PM

The first picture I posted in the 3rd. post shows the problem. I didn't know what I was looking at. 3 of the clips stayed connected to the receiving pieces on the car instead of staying on the trim. I extracted the 3 clips missing from the trim, cleaned off the tape and restored them to their rightful places on the trim with new 3M double sided tape. Pictures tell the tale.

It's back together again. Geez, if you want something done right you have to do it yourself.

Les

Attached Images
IMG_1817.JPG (78.6 KB, 77 views)
IMG_1818.JPG (66.9 KB, 68 views)
IMG_1819.JPG (84.2 KB, 68 views)
Old 03-01-2015, 06:49 PM

At least you have all your clips, since your are using the double sided tape, just check it every once in ahwile.

Old 03-02-2015, 12:43 AM
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

I've used the double sided tape for other applications and found the 3M brand to be superior. In addition surface prep is essential, I typically use rubbing alcohol and try not to get any oils from my fingers on any of the surfaces or the tape. Once stuck it's pretty hard to remove without a lot of excessive heat.

Old 03-02-2015, 11:25 PM
Forum Regular
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Personally i would not trust my trim to double sided tape, i used Metal weld epoxy to glue the clips and made sure they were squeezed in sufficiently to have a strong grip on the trim and they are rock solid.

Old 03-02-2015, 11:29 PM
Forum Regular
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Old 03-15-2015, 02:22 PM
Received 54 Likes on 43 Posts

After checking several sources for the 3M VHB (Very High Bond) double sided tape I settled on an ebay seller. This tape is extremely sticky. My first placement of the tape on the clip was not even. I found it hard to remove after only being on for a second. I'm very confident in it's holding power.

Here is a listing from that seller.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/3M-1-x-9-ft-3-Yd-VHB-Double-Sided-Foam-Adhesive-Tape-5952-Automotive-Mounting-/161393115204?hash=item2593c78044&item=161393115204&pt=Motors_Automotive_Tools&vxp=mtr

Old 03-15-2015, 03:52 PM

I used a 3M double sided that I found in Pep Boys. It's a lot stronger than I imagined it could be. Thanks for putting all the different photos forum people, It's going to be a help to some future newbe.

Les

Old 03-15-2015, 05:11 PM

As i have said before if I were to use double sided tape, vhb is the only way to go, but I like epoxy better.

Old 03-19-2015, 10:18 PM

Hello guys,

I had the same problem after getting my windshield replaced. My original trim piece flew off when I was driving down the freeway.

Luckily, I found another piece from a local scrap yard. It was missing one clip; I used double sided 3M automotive tape to adhere one of the clips from my old trim which was still stuck in place. I used rubbing alcohol to prep the surfaces and I also used a clamp to ensure there was a proper bond.

I put it on today, however, the area above the new clip does not seem to sit as snug as the rest of trim. The rubber gasket is slightly raised in this area and I am afraid it will fly off again. Not sure what to do next...

Old 03-20-2015, 07:44 AM

It sounds to me like the new clip or several of the older clips haven't snapped together correctly. I had to install mine more than once for just that reason. I ended up starting at one end and snapped them in place one at a time. Once correctly in place you need to know how they come apart or you'll break the trim. i.e. tool between the clip and anchor.

Les

Old 03-20-2015, 10:02 PM

Originally Posted by velociabstract
It sounds to me like the new clip or several of the older clips haven't snapped together correctly. I had to install mine more than once for just that reason. I ended up starting at one end and snapped them in place one at a time. Once correctly in place you need to know how they come apart or you'll break the trim. i.e. tool between the clip and anchor.

Les
One of the "female" clips was bent, most likely due to incorrect installation after my windshield replacement. The lower half (near the windshield) of the "male" clip would not seat. I tried to bend the "female" clip so the "male" would seat again and cracked my windshield during the process. I figured out that I could slide this specific clip into place (from the side) and the rest would snap into place. I wish I would have figured this out before cracking the windshield.

Oh well, I guess after I get this second windshield replaced I can install it correctly this time around. I already got another 2 rock chips on this new one in less than 6 months...