Old 02-28-2020, 08:06 PM
zip439
Received 198 Likes on 165 Posts
Default Re: Exterior Garnish Trim failure with JB Weld

Originally Posted by Johnny Versatile
You guys are confusing me. The garnish molding is attached to clips not directly to the windshield frame. The clips on the frame are riveted to the frame. The clips on the garnish molding on my car appear to be electrically plastic welded to the clips and garnish molding directly. The clips on the molding snap into and float on the clips that are attached to the frame. The garnish molding floats on the clips on my car. The JBWeld does not attach the garnish to the frame, but to the clip. I must be missing something and I hate giving bad advice. Please help me out here. Where is this tape you guys are talking about? The only tape I found on the frame area was on the inside under the A pillar covers, protecting some wiring.
The original, from the factory, attachment method is to use double sided tape to attach the clip to the molding. It is done like that because of contraction/expansion difference of the plastic molding and the metal clip. I also go to auto repair suppliers for this, as Jim replied, and most other adhesives, They will have what you need.