Old 02-29-2020, 12:56 PM
onehundred80
Received 561 Likes on 471 Posts
Default Re: Exterior Garnish Trim failure with JB Weld

Originally Posted by Johnny Versatile
Thanks for some clarity. On our car, of the 11 pairs of clips on the moldings, only 2 were loose when I removed the molding to paint. Upon careful inspection there was no sign of any tape ever being present. I am guessing from what has been posted that these clips were loosened from a previous windshield replacement. It was probably reassembled "non factory" and appeared to be an electronic steel to plastic weld, which failed. Who knows. I don't see any tape at the other clips so it must be under the clips and doesn't show. I am expecting my JBWeld repair to last longer than I do, but if it doesn't I'll uses some real good double sided tape next time.
An 'electronic steel to plastic weld', I know of no such process. Welding is the fusion of the two parts with or without a third material. Maybe there was no tape or whatever, it was left floating?
The thickness of the tape will determine how flush the trim is to the glass. The tape can be .005 thick and up, I would like to know how thick the OEM tape was.
Our man in Puerto Rico Velocabstract added some nice pics but I cannot quite see the fit of the two clips.

Last edited by onehundred80; 02-29-2020 at 02:53 PM. Reason: wrong country stated.