View Single Post
Old 11-27-2023, 09:51 AM
zip439
Received 196 Likes on 164 Posts
Default Re: Help diagnose intermittent rough running

Originally Posted by svtmerc
So I disconnected the EVAP line from the solenoid on the engine side and tried to suck and blow.... nothing.
I hotwired a cordless drill battery to it and physically heard it operate. Then I tried to suck and got a mouth full of liquid gas!
I can only assume this is not normal since it is supposed to carry vapors.
Which brings to mind on 2 separate occasions I had a small puddle of gas under my car after it sitting overnight, but the tech checked my fuel lines and never seen any signs of leakage.
You just may have found your problem. Bad EVAP systems can give O2 sensor codes. Right you are! That line running to the rear of the car should be open so you can blow through it or suck from it. You may get some taste of gas, but it is only vapor NOT GASOLINE. Your charcoal filter canister is full of gas for some reason. It seems from your testing the purge valve is working, but perhaps the shut off valve on top the canister is not. If you take the cover off the right rear where the fuel pump and filter are you will see the canister mounted against the cars body. You remove it by sliding it to the left. When you replaced the filter and pump I hope you got the discharge lines in the correct place. Discharrge from the pump goes to the perimeter of the filter, and discharge from the perimeter of the filter goes to the engine. At least that is the way it works on a Mercedes filter. The ports should be marked. This is also the reason why you should not push fuel into the tank; When the nozzle shuts off, pull it out and hang it it up. Do not force more fuel into the tank.
The shut off (vent valve) valve is removable and easy to test. Some say you can dry and reuse a canister, but don't know if the charcoal will do an efficient job after that.
Strange you didn't get some PO4?? DTC, but those codes you did get was a clue.