View Single Post
Old 12-06-2023, 02:05 PM
pizzaguy
Administrator
Received 903 Likes on 704 Posts
Default Re: Please help with my top problem

Also:

My top won't go up or down.
When I release the top, the windows go down and nothing happens.
If the windows go down, you can't say "nothing happens", as you read above, this alone helps to tell us that most of the system is working.

I have checked the divider switch by confirming that the switch activates the warning beeps when disengaged. I have no clue what that means. How did you perform this test?

The same for the pneumatic trunk lock. That lock has NOTHING to do with the Power Top System.

When the trunk is unlatched, the warning beeps. Of course it does, as per the design.

The hydraulic pump is working and charged. You said "Nothing happens". How can you say the pump works when you say the pump will not run ("Nothing happens")? And there is no "charge' in the pump, it builds pressure when it runs and when the cycle completes, all pressure is released. If you do not complete the cycle, the pressure is automatically released after the ten minute timer expires.

However, the electric lock is not engaging and I am stuck as to what to do at this point. The answer is a question: WHY is the PTCM not activating the electric lock? Is the lock solenoid bad? (It's been happened before.) Sounds like the PTCM does not like SOMETHING and is not even trying to lock the lock because there is no reason to lock it - until the PTCM is happy, it's not going to lock that lock. Your issue is this: With everything working, why is the PTCM not happy? What does it see it does not like or what is it being told by the CLP/SSM?

On that note: One of the reasons people cant fix their own top, is they do not learn how the systems work together first. What that means is: MANY top issues are not top issues.

Are all warning lights on the dash turning off as soon as the engine starts (The BAS/ESP and Battery light especially)?
Does the wing deploy at 60 and retract about 35?
Can you tell me that there are NO other warning beeps when driving the car?

A "no" to ANY of these questions must be fixed FIRST; often, the top issue goes away when these items are fixed.

I have researched the forum to find any similar problems but I am unable to find anything. Search again, you have the classic "my top wont move" issue. MOST of us with a Roadster have had this happen.

I have tried to manually raise and lower the top to manually reset the system to no avail. If you did not do it three times with the motor running and with a hex key to do it completely, you did not do it at all. If you DID do it right, then loss of sync is not the issue and we have a sensor or hall effect switch mis-behaving or the brake controller/BCM is lying to the CPL/SSM about the vehicle speed.

The car is garage kept so I have no water issues Famous last words, if your mind is that closed, you will never fix this, you have arrived at what may be an invalid conclusion. If you did not tear the trim out and LOOK AT THE PUMP WIRING, you cannot say what you just said. It can take YEARS for water to trickle down to the CLP/SSM. If the car got wet three years ago on a trip, you may have a destroyed CLP/SSM. THREE of FOUR times that I worked on an "unfixable top", it was the CLP/SSM and it had been wet. One couple owned the car TWO YEARS and one day, the top quit. They'd never allowed the car to get wet. But someone had................

Here is the forum's best (actually, the world's best) explanation of the top's operation:
https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum...p-sensors.html

Last edited by pizzaguy; 12-06-2023 at 02:18 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Robgauss (12-30-2023)