All Crossfires A place to discuss any model of the Crossfire.

What did you do to your Crossfire today?

Old 03-29-2015, 09:41 AM
Received 36 Likes on 35 Posts
Default Re: What did you do to your Crossfire today?

Yes but you didn't factor in the engine torque peak. 229 lb-ft for the XF, 140 lb-ft for the Miata. BIG difference. Also less than full throttle and first tends to surge (have reset the throttle).

I suspect the trans was developed for the short stroke 4 cyl models like the 230SLK that have little low end grunt and just kept the trans rather than develop a new gearset for the 3.2 six. Also Chrysler uses the same manual trans in the Jeep Wrangler with does need to go straight up the side of a wall slowly and having the same gearset simplifies logistics..

And I guess I should have said 25+ since pushing that hard in 1st I am not looking at the speedo & Torque only monitors at ODB rate (~once per second).

Don't get me wrong, I *like* Traction Control particularly in Florida deluges and my usuall response except in slow traffic, malls, and my driveway is to just start in second and will say the 2-3 shift is good and the 3-4 is great, friends say it sounds like an automagic (though is strange: when road racing I used to shift relatively slowly to avoid upsetting the rear end since rarely going in a straight line. Autocrossing now...)

Not the first time. My '78 Sunbird with SBC and "Muncie" had a 2.98 low and 3.08 axle and first was just pure wheelspin through a posi, I used to start in second (and often wished for a fifth but a B-W T85 wasn't rated for a V8). Later I used a 2.79 axle on the street that was better but not great (Vega axles were $25 for the whole thing and would last a few months & why I'd like a 2.60-2.80 for the XF.

Old 03-29-2015, 12:46 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Padgett
Yes but you didn't factor in the engine torque peak. 229 lb-ft for the XF, 140 lb-ft for the Miata. BIG difference. Also less than full throttle and first tends to surge (have reset the throttle).]

Padgett, I didn't need to factor in anything. I was simply showing the speeds other cars (we are all familiar with) are doing at their respective Red Lines. Just to show that the Crossfire's 1st. gear really isn't that far off the mark. After all, the most popular Sports car on the list (the Miata) is going exactly the same speed as the Crossfire. The Audi TT is only going 3 mph faster, Solitice is 4 mph greater, and a Neon SRT-4 is just 5 mph faster at red line.

As for the the traction control, I simply had no choice but to disconnect mine, because my car's TC would kick in at the slightest provocation of any wheel spin. Why it was so overly sensitive is beyond me. But I wasn't going to let the dealer have at it. So the simplest way to fix it was to disable it. Haven't missed it. But as a disclaimer, DO NOT TRY THIS AT HOME.

Old 03-29-2015, 01:20 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I finished putting my engine back together last Saturday, and installed on Sunday. Finished up a few odds and ends and got the car off jack-stands on Thursday. Weather has not been cooperating, so I have only put 10 miles on here thus far. Should be a good week to drive her to work a couple times.

Old 03-29-2015, 02:03 PM
Received 36 Likes on 35 Posts

Just observing that you are oversimplifying to just consider gear ratios and speeds. but even from your chart you can see the XF is not a high winding engine.

When designing a gearbox for a racng car you have to consider a lot of things but the car weight and torque curve are the most critical.

You mention the Miata. Torque peaks at 5000 rpm and it has VVT. It can use high winding gears particularly with about 50% less IHP.

OTOH the Crossie is thoroughly last century SOHC, no VVT and a torque peak at 3000, 2000 rpm lower than the Miata. This is an engine that needs long gears and a five speed with granny (5th is 1:1) is not the best choice. I am sure it was made for cost and inventory but not engineering reasons.

That said it is what we have and a $2000 gearbox or $1000 rear axle for 600 rpm less on the turnpike is not cost justifyable for a toy car. But is what the XF needs.

And on the gripping hand it is a good car for a learner since is almost impossible to stall in first.

Old 03-30-2015, 11:33 AM

[SIZE=2]Just observing that you are oversimplifying to just consider gear ratios and speeds. ]

OK Professor. The next time I post simple statistics (taken from a popular automotive publication) of different car's "Red Line" (or maximum shift points) I'll try to make them more complicated so it sounds like I really, REALLY, know what I'm talking about.

Old 03-30-2015, 11:42 AM
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

That said it is what we have and a $2000 gearbox or $1000 rear axle for 600 rpm less on the turnpike is not cost justifyable for a toy car. But is what the XF needs.

To bad that little start up company (Mercedes) didn't have you on the design and engineering team.. Imagine how far they could have gone..

Old 03-30-2015, 04:51 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I sold it. Going to be missed but went to a great home. So long amigo's.

Old 03-31-2015, 07:00 PM
Forum Regular
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Installed a stubby antenna. Best $4 investment I have ever made on a car. Even the packaging looked first rate. I hated splitting my car covers with the old one.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Universal-Aluminum-Short-Radio-Carbon-Fiber-Car-Antenna-Extension-Screw-EPYP-/141601276702?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2047675.l2557&nma=true&si=7X8GGgnMnIW%252Ff36xgPzOAXICtA4%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc

Old 04-01-2015, 12:18 AM

Celebrating our 10th. Anniversary with the Crossfire. Never thought I'd find another new car that would capture my imagination as much as it has. It's been hibernating since the 1st of November, and I backed it out of the garage and just started her up for about 10 minutes.
But the weather isn't going along with the program so back inside she goes.

HAPPY APRIL FOOLS DAY to Everybody!!!

Old 04-01-2015, 05:52 AM

Took my baby back to the dealer again. after getting the diff rebuilt, I noticed that it started to whine only after 2000KM. well it appears that the input seal was leaking and lost most of the diff oil. All under warranty but I already miss the car ( they gave me a triton tray back to drive) hope they can get the parts real quick this time as I don't want it away for 7 weeks again.
God I love driving my car.

Old 04-01-2015, 11:37 PM
Forum Regular

Packed her up for the trip to the Dragon Tomorrow

Old 04-02-2015, 04:32 PM
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Installed a Japanese Cherry Wood dash kit from the Dash Kit Mall

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
4-2-2015 135A.jpg (102.5 KB, 52 views)
4-5-2015 Trip 012A.jpg (104.4 KB, 17 views)
4-5-2015 Trip 010A.jpg (88.2 KB, 18 views)

Last edited by Red Runner; 04-05-2015 at 12:30 AM.
Old 04-02-2015, 06:21 PM

Originally Posted by Red Runner
Installed a Japanese Cherry Wood dash kit from the Dash Kit Mall
Red: That dash really looks good...a great addition...I have the black and red Carbon Fiber in my 2004 Coupe...Carl

Old 04-02-2015, 06:22 PM

Originally Posted by Thornh
Packed her up for the trip to the Dragon Tomorrow
Thornh: Gonna miss seeing you guys...tell all hello..I'll be there in the Fall...with my new paint job!!...Carl

Old 04-03-2015, 03:57 PM
Received 387 Likes on 334 Posts

I have to be totally (and embarrassingly) honest, ever since buying this car, I sometimes sneak out to the garage (a separate building on my property about 50 ft from my home), I open the door, and just look at her. Who knows, maybe I am just seeing if someone snuck in and took her, or maybe I am just oogling her, or maybe I am just congratulating myself for finding this absolute GEM of a car that it seems not too many thought was worth their time and/or money. HeII maybe I am doing all three but I am guilty of being (and acting) like a kid in a candy story both when I look at her, or drive her. Guilty as charged for having a disorder that should absolutely be in DSM-IV ( Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders ), known as WIWWM-ICSSATC syndrome (What Is Wrong With Me - I Can't Stop Staring At The Crossfire). Oh, I also hear there is no cure.

Old 04-03-2015, 06:25 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up Re: What did you do to your Crossfire today?

I can relate to that 100%

Old 04-03-2015, 11:34 PM
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by GraphiteGhost
I have to be totally (and embarrassingly) honest, ever since buying this car, I sometimes sneak out to the garage (a separate building on my property about 50 ft from my home), I open the door, and just look at her. Who knows, maybe I am just seeing if someone snuck in and took her, or maybe I am just oogling her, or maybe I am just congratulating myself for finding this absolute GEM of a car that it seems not too many thought was worth their time and/or money. HeII maybe I am doing all three but I am guilty of being (and acting) like a kid in a candy story both when I look at her, or drive her. Guilty as charged for having a disorder that should absolutely be in DSM-IV ( Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders ), known as WIWWM-ICSSATC syndrome (What Is Wrong With Me - I Can't Stop Staring At The Crossfire). Oh, I also hear there is no cure.

I know where you're coming from. Today, I was under the car removing the exhaust, preparing for my custom setup and I just stopped and admired the engineering. I felt a peaceful calm come over me as I thought about how much the car has done for me. After my divorce, I felt a bit lost, with no direction to my life. My SRT has given me a goal to achieve and endless enjoyment, both driving and in modifying and immense satisfaction in that I have done all but a few small things myself.

Old 04-04-2015, 09:18 AM

Originally Posted by JEFASOLD
I know where you're coming from. Today, I was under the car removing the exhaust, preparing for my custom setup and I just stopped and admired the engineering. I felt a peaceful calm come over me as I thought about how much the car has done for me. After my divorce, I felt a bit lost, with no direction to my life. My SRT has given me a goal to achieve and endless enjoyment, both driving and in modifying and immense satisfaction in that I have done all but a few small things myself.
Been there still do!

Old 04-04-2015, 10:09 AM
Received 549 Likes on 461 Posts

Originally Posted by JEFASOLD
That's great, but some would get more satisfaction under a good woman.

Old 04-04-2015, 11:00 AM
Received 153 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by onehundred80
That's great, but some would get more satisfaction under a good woman.
SOME a whole lot younger than you and I......

Quick Reply: What did you do to your Crossfire today?