All Crossfires A place to discuss any model of the Crossfire.

What did you do to your Crossfire today?

Old 02-22-2016, 12:54 AM
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Re: What did you do to your Crossfire today?

Originally Posted by green24u
syfi - Thanks for the link. Just purchased one for $87.86 with free shipping. Best deal on the internet.
Hey, the guys can joke about them all they want. No jacking up the car and sliding underneath her, which can be dangerous in itself, or having oil slop out of the pan. I've loaned mine out so many times that it has practically paid for itself. I've even been payed to change the oil in a couple of the yachts down at the local marina, and have bartered oil changes on some of the sport fishermans in exchange for free deep sea fishing trips. What more can I say?

Old 02-22-2016, 09:54 AM
Received 610 Likes on 510 Posts

Originally Posted by syfi
Hey, the guys can joke about them all they want. No jacking up the car and sliding underneath her, which can be dangerous in itself, or having oil slop out of the pan. I've loaned mine out so many times that it has practically paid for itself. I've even been payed to change the oil in a couple of the yachts down at the local marina, and have bartered oil changes on some of the sport fishermans in exchange for free deep sea fishing trips. What more can I say?
I was just joking around, I have one and use it exclusively. Mine is a pump up one and holds the whole 8 liters with room to spare. one good pump up and it will drain the sump in one go. I drive the warmed up car onto 2 x 4's on the drivers side to start, one more pump up 10 minutes after the first and I get a little more. Only way to go.
Also, like others, I refill the oil down the oil filter hole, easiest and cleanest.
Tip the warm oil into the empty containers and the oil is ready for the recycle depot, and the evacuation pump is ready for next year.

Old 02-22-2016, 04:15 PM
Forum Regular
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Finished painting my valve covers, intake manifold plenums & intake over the weekend. I'm also going to paint my NeedsWings oil catch can (not pictured) but I ran a little low on paint so I'm going to do it later this week after I re-up on supplies. My valve covers were starting to seep a little bit so I took this as an opportunity to clean my engine bay up a little bit while performing some maintenance. I had considered having these pieces powdercoated, but given the fact that I'm spending a great deal of money on my car elsewhere (new paint, new wheels, new exterior additions, etc.) I decided that paying for powdercoat services wasn't really in the budget. I decided to go the DIY route and paint everything myself using VHT high-temp engine enamels. I used their products to paint my brake calipers earlier this year so I figured I'd stick with their products to tackle these engine components. I sanded everything down a bit, hit everything with some brake cleaner and soapy water and then painted everything using a three stage process. I started with a few VHT primer engine enamel then did a few coats of VHT silver engine enamel and topped it off with a few coats of VHT gloss clear engine enamel. All in all I'm happy with how everything turned out. My valve covers & intake manifold plenums were pretty grimy/stained so the silver paint basically just made everything look new again. Basically just gave it that "factory fresh" look - nothing too flashy. I am also planning to sand & re-clear the raised "SRT-6" and "NeedsWings" letters on the manifolds/intake so that the letters will have a raw brushed finish for a little bit of contrast before I put everything back together. Now before anyone points it out, yes, I essentially sanded down a powdercoated intake and proceeded to spray paint it.....lol. The reasoning for this was a) the intake had it's fair share imperfections and b) I didn't want the intake the be a different shade of silver than everything else. I just wanted everything to match and I knew that if I didn't paint the intake it would be a different shade of silver.

I am reinstalling everything with new gaskets (I actually upgraded to the NeedsWings cork gaskets for the intake manifolds since they seal better and have better pressure ratings than the OEM ones) this week at which point the car will be heading to the bodyshop for it's exterior makeover.

Oh and I also installed my new R1 Concepts slotted rotors and ceramic pads as well (not pictured).

That's it for now folks!

20160222_131351_zpssueqwm9e.jpg

20160222_153026_zpsbxlpousj.jpg

Even with 57k miles on the clock, everything looked squeaky clean underneath the valve covers. I actually drive/put miles on my SRT-6.....lol.

20160219_143214_zps127airkz.jpg

Old 02-22-2016, 05:17 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looking good Hot Fiya

What is the best brand of oil filter that you guys use?
Gonna do my first oil change on mine this winter..
Also what wrench do you guys use to unscrew the oil filter cover?

Old 02-22-2016, 05:44 PM

Originally Posted by MB04XFIRE
Looking good Hot Fiya

It should come undone by hand if you are lucky. If not, a strap wrench will do it.

Old 02-22-2016, 07:26 PM

Perfect thanks..

As for the filter what is the best way to go?

Old 02-22-2016, 09:03 PM
Administrator / Senior Member
Received 628 Likes on 429 Posts

Originally Posted by MB04XFIRE
Looking good Hot Fiya

Mann HU718/5 Fleece filters are the best !!!
Also NAPA 7078 same thing

http://www.napaonline.com/p/FIL7078

Last edited by Valk; 02-22-2016 at 09:13 PM.
Old 02-22-2016, 09:18 PM

Perfect.. Thanks Valk

Old 02-22-2016, 09:21 PM
Administrator / Senior Member
Received 628 Likes on 429 Posts

Be sure to replace the four O-rings that come with the filter
The filter will probably come with five O-rings but you will only need four of them
Pay close attention to the correct placement of the top 0-ring highlighted in blue
Be sure to oil the O-ring before screwing the filter assembly back into the housing on the engine

Old 02-22-2016, 09:35 PM

Yup indeed,
I've read on here with people not positioning the top o-ring correctly and ended up having a desasterous oil spray coming out...
Thanks for the illustrations..

Old 02-23-2016, 07:54 AM
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by syfi
DATE: July 1997
SUBJECT:
ALL MODELS
OIL EVACUATION EQUIPMENT
Mercedes-Benz engines are designed to allow engine oil extraction from under the hood via the dipstick tube. The dipstick tube has an enlarged cross section and a formed extension at the top end. On the other side it ends a short distance from the oil pan bottom. Engine oil can be extracted using the dipstick tube.

Engine oil drain plugs will continue for the time being, although access to them may only be possible with the removal of engine compartment trim or noise encapsulation panels.
************************************************** *******************************

Date: March 2001
Order No.: S-SI-58.00/118
Supersedes:
Group 58
SUBJECT:
ALL ENGINES
APPROVED OIL EVACUATION EQUIPMENT
The purpose of this Service Information is to inform dealers that Approved Oil Evacuation Equipment, which is used to extract used engine oil from the engine via the oil dipstick tube, is now available for order. Mercedes-Benz engines are designed to allow the extraction of engine oil from under the hood via the dipstick tube. The engine dipstick tube has an enlarged cross section, plus a formed extension at the top end where the dipstick is inserted and the approved engine oil evacuation equipment interfaces. The opposite end of the dipstick ends just short of the oil pan bottom, thus engine oil can be extracted via the approved oil evacuation equipment by using the dipstick tube. Additionally, the engine dipstick tube itself is the conduit through which spent engine oil is moved to the oil evacuation equipment.
In addition, service and repair components for existing approved oil evacuation equipment is also available.
Note: Because the engine oil dipstick tube is the conduit through which spent engine oil is extracted, inserting tubular probes through the dipstick tube is NOT recommended.
Special Note for M-class:
Due to the location of the vehicle frame and suspension components, the draining of engine oil via the engine crankcase oil drain plug is not recommended, since this can lead to engine oil coming in contact and subsequently be damaging to the rubber suspension components. Thus, it is strongly recommended to use the approved oil evacuation equipment contained in the Service Manual.

Yeah, thanks for this.

I wonder just how close the dipstick tube ends in relation to the bottom of the pan? I just stick the 1/4" OD tube down until it touches. Works great! Only way to go....

Old 02-23-2016, 09:06 AM

If it is easier and quicker to do an oil change from the top, do you think the labor charge has been reduced?
Don't bother to answer, I can guess.

Old 02-23-2016, 09:28 AM

Not much this winter. It sits in the warm garage all covered up waiting for spring. I did make a mistake letting my daughter drive it. She wanted me to give it to her. I almost did until my wife said no. Both of them has me always in trouble one way or another.I love them both. It looks like I am going to half to hide it in order to keep it.

Old 02-27-2016, 12:30 PM
Forum Regular
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks to a tip from Red Runner I finished blacking out my grille after work Friday. Today I took it to the local Cars and Coffee which was quite crowded for late February.

0227161001_zpsrmks4qa0.jpg

Old 02-27-2016, 01:36 PM
Forum Regular
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Got everything buttoned up under the hood. Below are some before & after pictures. Also got the Needswings oil catch can mounted too.

Before

20150829_203802_zpsd9g47wtz.jpg

After

20160225_133435_zpsswdskrx0.jpg

Before

20150620_174320_zpsxdr2limo.jpg

After

20160225_132704_zpsvdqlhvwp.jpg

20160225_132730_zpsozllp2cc.jpg

Old 02-27-2016, 04:44 PM
Forum Regular

Today I installed a leather E Brake handle cover and 2 exhaust donuts.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
DSC01002.JPG (1.61 MB, 28 views)

Last edited by csteve0355; 02-27-2016 at 04:47 PM.
Old 02-27-2016, 04:53 PM
Received 159 Likes on 147 Posts

Originally Posted by csteve0355
Today I installed a leather E Brake handle cover and 2 exhaust donuts.
Looks nice !!!
Those exhaust donuts are a ton of fun, right ?

Old 02-27-2016, 06:53 PM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by ala_xfire
Looks nice !!!
Those exhaust donuts are a ton of fun, right ?

Here is a tip as it only took me 5 min. to change the 2 exhaust donuts.

I cut 1 off with a razor blade then jacked up the muffler - then put the donut on the muffler hook then took a thin flat blade screw driver and pried it over the top body hanger, and while holding the screwdriver up pulled the donut over the body hanger. Then repeated for the other side. As I said it took no more than 5 min. total to remove and replace both sides.

Hope this tip helps others here on the Forum.

Old 02-27-2016, 07:19 PM
Received 159 Likes on 147 Posts

Originally Posted by csteve0355
Here is a tip as it only took me 5 min. to change the 2 exhaust donuts.

I cut 1 off with a razor blade then jacked up the muffler - then put the donut on the muffler hook then took a thin flat blade screw driver and pried it over the top body hanger, and while holding the screwdriver up pulled the donut over the body hanger. Then repeated for the other side. As I said it took no more than 5 min. total to remove and replace both sides.

Hope this tip helps others here on the Forum.
Thanks for the tip ! I'll remember that.

Old 02-28-2016, 12:49 PM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by ala_xfire
Thanks for the tip ! I'll remember that.

I also sprayed the donut with a good coat of rubber protectant which allowed the donut to slide off the screwdriver better.

Quick Reply: What did you do to your Crossfire today?