All Crossfires A place to discuss any model of the Crossfire.

What did you do to your Crossfire today?

Old 06-11-2020, 02:59 AM
Forum Regular
Received 46 Likes on 42 Posts
Default Re: What did you do to your Crossfire today?

Installed new brighter LED fog lights. These have the resistors and fans on them. The LED’s I had in before were a single unit and did nothing but accent the car. The new ones are definitely bright enough to light up the road when driving at night and doesn’t blind oncoming traffic either. Has a nice cutoff that lines up well with my HID low beams.

Old 06-11-2020, 08:16 AM
Forum Regular
Received 133 Likes on 105 Posts

Originally Posted by Sussudio
Installed new brighter LED fog lights. These have the resistors and fans on them. The LED’s I had in before were a single unit and did nothing but accent the car. The new ones are definitely bright enough to light up the road when driving at night and doesn’t blind oncoming traffic either. Has a nice cutoff that lines up well with my HID low beams.
Did you have to re-aim the fog lights after installing the LED bulbs? That is a hassle I've had with LED bulbs in the past. They produce their light output at a different point than the 'standard' halogen bulbs on the market, and thus require re-aiming. If not, would you put a link to what you got?

Old 06-11-2020, 08:59 AM
Forum Regular
Received 46 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by WD40
Did you have to re-aim the fog lights after installing the LED bulbs? That is a hassle I've had with LED bulbs in the past. They produce their light output at a different point than the 'standard' halogen bulbs on the market, and thus require re-aiming. If not, would you put a link to what you got?
Id have to ask my brother he bought a set of three different sizes bulbs. 9006, 9005, and the H11. It was a set on eBay. It was one of the mid level brands. I do remember the guy he bought them from it was his last set and didn’t say if he was getting anymore or not. The have 4 sides to them and each LED light is about an inch long. No repositioning was needed. It just so happened he needed the H11 for his Veloster fogs and my dad needed the 9005 for his high beams. Obviously the 9006 for my fogs, so it worked out pretty good. There were only so many options that had that combo. Hope that helps.

Old 06-14-2020, 08:55 AM
Forum Regular
Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

~ Replaced burned out brake light bulb in the AeroBlue Roadster....Learned how to dissasemble and re-assemble the interior rear panels (left side) to perform that task.
~ Engine oil and filter change is next...(Why so much fuss over paper filters vs fleece filters??)

Old 06-14-2020, 09:26 AM
Received 153 Likes on 141 Posts

.Learned how to dissasemble and re-assemble the interior rear panels (left side) to perform that task.
Not necessary, all you have to do on the roadster is open the tonneau cover and lean in.

Old 06-14-2020, 09:34 AM
Forum Regular
Received 198 Likes on 140 Posts

Fla xfire......

regarding fleece vs paper filters.......credit royalli at the MB forum for this 4 point explanation :

royaiii
05-11-2006, 03:42 PM
Mercedes Own Summary

Plastic instead of paper - it's the new Mercedes mantra with regards to oil filters. Modern lubricants can cause more rapid degradation of the cellulose (paper) filter in longer drain interval applications. In our new Fleece oil filters, the medium has been replaced with durable polyester, providing greater resistance to degradation.

Four reasons to stay faithful to FLEECE oil filters:
1. Compatibility. Our filters are compatible with the latest, fully synthetic oils and with mineral oils as well. Genuine Mercedes-Benz Fleece oil filters help ensure optimum engine lubrication, and are a required service item for all 2005 Mercedes-Benz vehicles.

2. High filtering. . MB Fleece filters can remove particles as small as 0.005 millimeters which means cleaner oil is circulated through the engine, it’s an excellent replacement for the paper filter in pre-2005 models.

3. Durability. The new, highly durable filter medium provides greatly improved protection against material degradation and deformation from hot oil - even under the most difficult operating conditions.

4. Easy servicing and installation ensured. Only the vehicle manufacturer can work from the original vehicle drawings in developing replacement parts. Other manufacturers have to engage in guesswork in determining the tolerances for the oil filter system. Deviating from our exact dimensions and materials may cause installation problems or internal filter bypass leakages.

Old 06-14-2020, 05:45 PM
Administrator / Senior Member
Received 502 Likes on 345 Posts

Today I went and picked up my car from Rudy (Our V8 conversion guy) and certified Mercedes mechanic
No I didn't get a V8 but I did have him provide me some maintenance at the European shop he works at in the North suburbs of Chicago
He changed some fluids and inspected the front end suspension and gave it a good alignment.
He also removed my working SKREEM module from behind the dashboard cluster and relocated it to an easy access location behind my drivers side fuse panel
Rob at Needswings also provided me with a "SKREEM CLONE" which is a spare module specific to my VIN
It's a great piece of mind to have a spare SKREEM and and easy access location in the event mine ever fails
Many thanks to Rudy and Rob a www.Needswings.com for their combined efforts to make this possible
Here is my spare SKREEM to carry at all times like a CPS and RCM which many of us commonly carry to have a replacement with us

Old 06-14-2020, 06:10 PM
Received 399 Likes on 342 Posts

Originally Posted by JoeO
Fla xfire......

regarding fleece vs paper filters.......credit royalli at the MB forum for this 4 point explanation :

royaiii
05-11-2006, 03:42 PM
Mercedes Own Summary

Plastic instead of paper - it's the new Mercedes mantra with regards to oil filters. Modern lubricants can cause more rapid degradation of the cellulose (paper) filter in longer drain interval applications. In our new Fleece oil filters, the medium has been replaced with durable polyester, providing greater resistance to degradation.

Four reasons to stay faithful to FLEECE oil filters:
1. Compatibility. Our filters are compatible with the latest, fully synthetic oils and with mineral oils as well. Genuine Mercedes-Benz Fleece oil filters help ensure optimum engine lubrication, and are a required service item for all 2005 Mercedes-Benz vehicles.

2. High filtering. . MB Fleece filters can remove particles as small as 0.005 millimeters which means cleaner oil is circulated through the engine, it’s an excellent replacement for the paper filter in pre-2005 models.

3. Durability. The new, highly durable filter medium provides greatly improved protection against material degradation and deformation from hot oil - even under the most difficult operating conditions.

4. Easy servicing and installation ensured. Only the vehicle manufacturer can work from the original vehicle drawings in developing replacement parts. Other manufacturers have to engage in guesswork in determining the tolerances for the oil filter system. Deviating from our exact dimensions and materials may cause installation problems or internal filter bypass leakages.

MANN fleece or paper filters, you mean to say MB only wants the fleece used? If so why are the MANN paper filters being used, and so popular? Smooth marketing is much more likely as they (fleece) have a higher profit margin. The list goes on and on... Another example, the Mobil1 0W-40 oil, a few more reasonably priced synthetics meet the specs that MB posts.

Old 06-14-2020, 07:04 PM
Received 135 Likes on 112 Posts

The first thing i did after buying my 07 roadster was to change oil. When i removed the oil filter it was extremely distorted and it was made of paper . I replaced it with a mann fleece filter end of story.

Old 06-14-2020, 11:37 PM
Forum Regular
Received 85 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by Valk
Today I went and picked up my car from Rudy (Our V8 conversion guy) and certified Mercedes mechanic
No I didn't get a V8 but I did have him provide me some maintenance at the European shop he works at in the North suburbs of Chicago
He changed some fluids and inspected the front end suspension and gave it a good alignment.
He also removed my working SKREEM module from behind the dashboard cluster and relocated it to an easy access location behind my drivers side fuse panel
Rob at Needswings also provided me with a "SKREEM CLONE" which is a spare module specific to my VIN
It's a great piece of mind to have a spare SKREEM and and easy access location in the event mine ever fails
Many thanks to Rudy and Rob a www.Needswings.com for their combined efforts to make this possible
Here is my spare SKREEM to carry at all times like a CPS and RCM which many of us commonly carry to have a replacement with us

Is the wiring harness long enough to relocate the skreem? How much was it for the spare skreem?

Old 06-15-2020, 01:35 PM
Received 399 Likes on 342 Posts

Originally Posted by dcskmail
The first thing i did after buying my 07 roadster was to change oil. When i removed the oil filter it was extremely distorted and it was made of paper . I replaced it with a mann fleece filter end of story.

Ahhhh it might be the end of YOUR story, but questions abound. What was the BRAND of that paper oil filter? How long was it since the filter was changed? There are many PAPER oil filters on the market (not to mention some defective lots of good ones). Inquiring minds want to know...

I ONCE used a FRAM paper oil filter in my XF, one year later it was all but destroyed in the filter housing.

Since then I used Mobil1 oil filters that LOOKED like paper and they performed flawlessly. I just bought a set of 4 MANN filters with an extremely desirable price each delivered with tax included. Sometimes, I believe FLEECE denotes a ripoff (as in that guy got fleeced) but that's all up to those who wish to spend $ however they wish.

Old 06-15-2020, 01:37 PM
Forum Regular

Thanks for the paper vs fleece info.

Old 06-15-2020, 03:46 PM
Received 538 Likes on 426 Posts

If you plan to use a paper-element filter, you need to make sure you get one from a very reputable supplier. And I'm suggesting you change your oil & filter every 3500-4000 miles to prevent the filter element from collapsing. The fleece-element filter was initially recommended by M-B for the higher grades of oil that allowed extended oil changes. And by extended oil changes, I'm talking about 10k+. With the FSS oil monitoring system in our Crossfires, and a 7000 mile oil change interval (depending on driving habits), the paper-element filter was suitable per M-B. But again, I'll say only a paper-element filter from a very reputable supplier. And FRAM ain't on that list! MHO

Just ran across a YouTube on M-B oil filter versus other supplier products. Spokesperson states that all M-B oil filters are fleece-element design. So my feedback above may not be totally correct regarding a M-B paper-element filter being used. FWIW

Last edited by dedwards0323; 06-15-2020 at 03:57 PM.
Old 06-15-2020, 03:56 PM

Originally Posted by Ronman
Is the wiring harness long enough to relocate the skreem? How much was it for the spare skreem?
Rudy needed to order a wiring harness extension to relocate the module
Pricing is determined by Rob@Needswings so click the link and contact Rob

https://www.needswings.com/crossfire-skreem-repair

Old 06-16-2020, 02:14 PM
Forum Regular

Rudy needed to order a wiring harness extension to relocate the module
Pricing is determined by Rob@Needswings so click the link and contact Rob

https://www.needswings.com/crossfire-skreem-repair
Can you please ask Rob for the part number for the wiring harness extension? I would really appreciate it.

Old 06-16-2020, 04:02 PM

Can you please ask Rob for the part number for the wiring harness extension? I would really appreciate it.
All inquiries regarding the SKREEM should be directed to Rob at Needswings
If you're looking to do this and bypass Rob you're on your own

Old 06-16-2020, 10:16 PM
Forum Regular

All inquiries regarding the SKREEM should be directed to Rob at Needswings
If you're looking to do this and bypass Rob you're on your own
No need to be rude!!!! I meant to say ask Rudy not Rob. I want my Skreem to be in a more accessible location since it is a lot of work to remove the cluster bezel and then the cluster plus it is not easy to put the cluster bezel back etc. Obviously you don't want to help so that's fine. Asking for a part number for a wiring harness is not that big of a deal.

Old 06-16-2020, 10:28 PM

No need to be rude!!!! I meant to say ask Rudy not Rob.
No intentions to be rude .....There is a difference between asking Rob and asking Rudy
Everyone here can ask Rob a question
I will ask RUDY for info regarding the extension harness and respond

Old 06-17-2020, 07:59 AM
Forum Regular

~ Changed the oil and filter in the Aero-Blue Roadster.
~ Removed all four wheels and scrubbed the 15 years of brake dust off. Gonna have to clearcoat them on the inside now. Inspected the brake sensor wire. Inspected the brakes.
~ Motor mounts on order for that car.
~ Found a little hose off of the back of the MAP sensor and replaced it...waiting on mirror switch to come in.

Old 06-17-2020, 09:54 AM
Received 560 Likes on 470 Posts

Originally Posted by dedwards0323
If you plan to use a paper-element filter, you need to make sure you get one from a very reputable supplier. And I'm suggesting you change your oil & filter every 3500-4000 miles to prevent the filter element from collapsing. The fleece-element filter was initially recommended by M-B for the higher grades of oil that allowed extended oil changes. And by extended oil changes, I'm talking about 10k+. With the FSS oil monitoring system in our Crossfires, and a 7000 mile oil change interval (depending on driving habits), the paper-element filter was suitable per M-B. But again, I'll say only a paper-element filter from a very reputable supplier. And FRAM ain't on that list! MHO

Just ran across a YouTube on M-B oil filter versus other supplier products. Spokesperson states that all M-B oil filters are fleece-element design. So my feedback above may not be totally correct regarding a M-B paper-element filter being used. FWIW
When I got my 2004 Crossfire it came with a Mercedes paper filter given to me by the dealer, somehow I acquired another Mercedes paper filter sometime later. They both came in an original Mercedes box, I never used either of them and I threw them away.
I would never allow my car to use 7,000 mile oil, I change my oil and filter every year so that means on average every 2,500 miles. Let’s face it oil and filters are cheap. So why not?
With a thorough oil drain I can put in 8 litres with no problem.

Quick Reply: What did you do to your Crossfire today?