All Crossfires A place to discuss any model of the Crossfire.

coolant overflow tank leak

Old 08-13-2014, 03:03 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default coolant overflow tank leak

even tho had my xfire 8 years now. Yesterday was checking all fluid levels and notice blue coolant residue where small hose connects to front of overflow resevoir. Reach down and hose just pulled off, and appeared that plastic on tank had melted where hose connects. I pulled copper tube out of hose and shoved half of it in the hole in tank. I know this is pressurized system so i know this is no solution. Do i just need new tank or is there some kind of connector that i should have?

Old 08-13-2014, 03:22 PM
Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts
Default Re: coolant overflow tank leak

That is a common problem. I would buy a 1/8" -27NPT tap and a 1/8" NPT / hose barb brass fitting. It's a pretty quick repair.

dcp_4797_zps60b26f79.jpg

OR you can get a replacement overflow tank . . . It may break soon or it may last you 8 more years. Here's one . . .

2005 Chrysler Crossfire SRT6 Tank Coolant Reservoir Radiator Overflow Tank | eBay

Good luck and ENJOY your Crossfire . . .

Last edited by RED DOG; 08-13-2014 at 03:25 PM.
Old 08-13-2014, 03:23 PM
Received 153 Likes on 141 Posts

I'd go with a new ( or good used ) tank :
as cheap as $20 on Car-Part.com--Used Auto Parts Market

Old 08-13-2014, 05:34 PM

Originally Posted by RED DOG
That is a common problem. I would buy a 1/8" -27NPT tap and a 1/8" NPT / hose barb brass fitting. It's a pretty quick repair.

OR you can get a replacement overflow tank . . . It may break soon or it may last you 8 more years. Here's one . . .

2005 Chrysler Crossfire SRT6 Tank Coolant Reservoir Radiator Overflow Tank | eBay

Good luck and ENJOY your Crossfire . . .
Got the fitting and tap. Plan to do repair in the morning. From the pic it looks like you also used nylon plumbing tape???

The following users liked this post:
spacebrit (11-12-2021)
Old 08-13-2014, 06:49 PM
Received 543 Likes on 459 Posts

Originally Posted by lslajohn
Got the fitting and tap. Plan to do repair in the morning. From the pic it looks like you also used nylon plumbing tape???
I second the new/old tank option. If and when these fixes fail it is always at the most awkward of times and places.

Old 08-13-2014, 07:55 PM
Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by lslajohn
I'm sorry some of my friends are disagreeing with me . . . Yes, I used teflon pipe thread tape.

Old 08-13-2014, 09:09 PM

Originally Posted by RED DOG
I'm sorry some of my friends are disagreeing with me . . . Yes, I used teflon pipe thread tape.
It may last forever but if it failed and it was on my car I would be really sorry that I did not get a new/newer tank.

Keep the plastic chips out of the tank.

I did a similar 'fix' on my wifes car once, it failed and it blew all the coolant onto the road, I have not lived that down in forty years.

Last edited by onehundred80; 08-13-2014 at 09:11 PM.
Old 08-01-2015, 03:12 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

to me metal is always better than plastic IMO.if you take your time to do it should be good. IMO why should you buy a $100.00 part when you can do the same thing with a $10.00 part thats prone to failure again.just my 2cents

Old 08-01-2015, 04:54 PM

Originally Posted by 67wildbill
to me metal is always better than plastic IMO.if you take your time to do it should be good. IMO why should you buy a $100.00 part when you can do the same thing with a $10.00 part thats prone to failure again.just my 2cents
Fifty weeks later the thread is revived.
While I agree with you in many ways, plastic is cheaper and is more easily used where metal would be to expensive or impossible to use due to the shape of the part required.
In the rush to make lighter and or cheaper cars, plastic has come into its own. For instance thirty years ago who would have thought that the radiator would use plastic instead of brass for the sides or top and bottom. Poor design or cheapening the product is often the reason for failure, and in the above case who knows what happened to that part while in the hands of the previous owner(s).

Old 08-01-2015, 06:02 PM
Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts
Talking Re: coolant overflow tank leak

Virginia is not that hot, near sea level and we dont have mountains, SO I dont run the tank under pressure, hate pressure in radiators at least factory ratings. My Ram 1500, durango, and 73 440 - 6pac have lower temp radiator thermostats and 7 pound caps.

Only had boiling one issue at the dragon on the top of the mountain for a Brief time. Pressure serves to make radiator and things like heaters and intercoolers ACCORDIAN every heating and cooling cycle. Oh yeah, I use at least 50 % antifreeze to raise the boiling point.

Enjoy, WDY

Old 10-09-2015, 02:32 PM

I'm replacing my overflow tank on my 2005 Crossfire and wondered if there is an online video anywhere to help guide me. I've got one that should arrive in a couple of days. Mine broke off at the connector hose on the side closest to the bumper. Think it happened when it was in the body shop getting a new bumper assembly. Nothing wrong with it prior to the body shop having it.

Old 10-10-2015, 02:06 PM

Originally Posted by Melinda Stotler
I'm replacing my overflow tank on my 2005 Crossfire and wondered if there is an online video anywhere to help guide me. I've got one that should arrive in a couple of days. Mine broke off at the connector hose on the side closest to the bumper. Think it happened when it was in the body shop getting a new bumper assembly. Nothing wrong with it prior to the body shop having it.
You are going to have to lower the coolant level, I would use the tap at the bottom of the radiator for this. I think this will drain the tank. You can then release the pipe clamps on the hoses at the tank.
The hardest part is pulling the tank out, it is held in with a barbed fitting on the bottom of the tank that fits in a socket. I sprayed the barb with WD40 to add some lubricant to the barb, a good vertical pull and it came out.
Reverse the sequence to re assemble the tank. Good luck.
Anyone see that I have made an incorrect statement here?

Last edited by onehundred80; 10-10-2015 at 05:49 PM. Reason: spelling mistake corrected those iPads are a pain to type on.
Old 10-10-2015, 05:19 PM
Received 153 Likes on 141 Posts

Other than Ina's socket, no ..........

Old 10-10-2015, 05:53 PM
Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

I have repaired both tanks with the Red Dog style of fitting over 5 yrs on the roadster and 2 yrs ago on the coupe....it works fine....and I didn't even use a tap...just used the fitting as the tap... what ever works for you.. The tanks are of poor design to begin with...

Old 10-28-2015, 02:03 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by oledoc2u
I have repaired both tanks with the Red Dog style of fitting over 5 yrs on the roadster and 2 yrs ago on the coupe....it works fine....and I didn't even use a tap...just used the fitting as the tap... what ever works for you.. The tanks are of poor design to begin with...
glad I ran across this broke mine yesterday flushing the cooling system I too am going to use red dogs clever solution, thinking back I don't believe I did break it because I saw a little bit of seepage around it when I started doing the flush so it must have been cracked already can't complain though cars 10 years old and still running strong. valve cover gaskets and wheel bearings on the front are next on a very long to do list.

Last edited by kingdavid54; 10-28-2015 at 02:15 PM.
Old 02-04-2016, 12:04 PM

I'm having the exact same problem. I want to try your solution. Where would I find those parts? AutoZone or Home Depot?

Old 02-04-2016, 12:11 PM

Originally Posted by meshcraft
I'm having the exact same problem. I want to try your solution. Where would I find those parts? AutoZone or Home Depot?
O'Reilly Auto Parts or NAPA Auto Parts has a better selection, but before you do that try tightening the clamp, it turns out that was all that was wrong with mine

Old 02-12-2016, 03:13 AM
Default Re: coolant overflow tank leak/supercooler leak

Sorry to hi-jack this thread but I have a major coolant issue. My car does not leak coolant unless in high boost, I can run the car all day but when I get on it the coolant will spray out of pressure gauge of my Needswing supersooler.

We have pressure tested the block, checked the head gaskets, and looked for other leaks(Everything came back fine). We put a more heavy duty pressure gauge on the supercooler which did not work, we measured 22psi out of the supercooler/heat exchanger once in high boost and coolant begins to spray.

We also bypassed the intercooler to see if there were any air leaks bringing more air into the system under high psi, but coolant still sprayed immediately once flooring the gas pedal bring the supercharger in high boost again.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thank you

Old 02-12-2016, 11:12 AM

Originally Posted by srt6Master
Sorry to hi-jack this thread but I have a major coolant issue. My car does not leak coolant unless in high boost, I can run the car all day but when I get on it the coolant will spray out of pressure gauge of my Needswing supersooler.

We have pressure tested the block, checked the head gaskets, and looked for other leaks(Everything came back fine). We put a more heavy duty pressure gauge on the supercooler which did not work, we measured 22psi out of the supercooler/heat exchanger once in high boost and coolant begins to spray.

We also bypassed the intercooler to see if there were any air leaks bringing more air into the system under high psi, but coolant still sprayed immediately once flooring the gas pedal bring the supercharger in high boost again.

Have you contacted needswings and ask their opinion and advice?

Last edited by kingdavid54; 02-12-2016 at 11:17 AM.
Old 02-12-2016, 11:45 AM

Originally Posted by srt6Master

The simple question is from where does the coolant spray.

Quick Reply: coolant overflow tank leak