All Crossfires A place to discuss any model of the Crossfire.

cup holder problem

Old 09-26-2014, 01:16 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default cup holder problem

The cup holder in '04 crossfire, will open with the slightest provocation. Hit a bump, it opens. Brush over with your arm, it opens.
Any sgguestions as to how to fix this annoyance?

Old 09-26-2014, 01:26 PM
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Re: cup holder problem

Put tape on it!

Old 09-26-2014, 01:26 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You're not from around here, are you?

Old 09-26-2014, 02:29 PM
PNA
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Let's try and help the guy out here. You can do a search on here and you'll come up with all sorts of threads on the dreaded cup holder. Bottom line, people who have issues with it usually just replace it with the storage bin that's found in the "base" cars. Their are of course other options. Tape, replace it with another one (if you can find one), glue it down, or you could try to repair the mechanism (requires removal as well) Beyond that, take a hammer and kill it. I don't really use mine anymore and hence that's why mine hasn't worn out yet. Lot's of options on here for aftermarket cup holders and placement of them. Good luck with your search and decision.

Old 09-26-2014, 02:30 PM

moron responses are not needed.
Either provide your fellow Crossfire owners with constructive help............or just stay under your rock.

Old 09-26-2014, 02:35 PM

Thanks for your help. The responses received, other than yours, indicates those 2 have combined fewer teeth than the 7 spoke wheels.
I belong to several other forums and those have ALWAYS been constructive, informative, provided instructions, shared photo's........but these types of people who are responding here, just turns people off.

Old 09-26-2014, 02:36 PM
PNA

Originally Posted by sailorjoe
moron responses are not needed.
Either provide your fellow Crossfire owners with constructive help............or just stay under your rock.
I trust you're not directing this response at me. I just pointed out let's try to help you out and I just provided you with some real options and guidance to do a serach.

Old 09-26-2014, 02:42 PM
PNA

Thanks for your help. The responses received, other than yours, indicates those 2 have combined fewer teeth than the 7 spoke wheels.
I belong to several other forums and those have ALWAYS been constructive, informative, provided instructions, shared photo's........but these types of people who are responding here, just turns people off.
Sure, no problem. Here' the link to just one of the threads on BIN replacmeent. You can see what it looks like. Lot's more on here as well.

https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum...up-holder.html

Old 09-26-2014, 05:14 PM
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill F
Put tape on it!
Well, I put a little clear packing tape on mine, can hardly see it and it doesn't pop up. It is a cheap temp. fix until a perm. fix can be done.

Last edited by Bill F; 09-26-2014 at 05:19 PM.
Old 09-26-2014, 06:31 PM

absolutely not. Your response was constructive. It was a several earlier responses to my post that I was referring to.
Once again, thanks for YOUR help.

Old 09-26-2014, 07:16 PM
Received 560 Likes on 470 Posts

absolutely not. Your response was constructive. It was a several earlier responses to my post that I was referring to.
Once again, thanks for YOUR help.
Glad you got some solutions here with your problem, let us know how it turns out.
While I'm on here I wonder if you can let us know how your earlier problem with your transmission worked out, I saw you asked for help back on 2-26-2005. You never did get back to us.
Post with a transmission question.(click)

Old 09-27-2014, 09:37 AM
Received 54 Likes on 43 Posts

I belong to multiple different car forums and this one most definitely has been top notch with dedicated members helping others, providing great solutions, and ideas. With the lack of good dealer knowledge and support for these cars it’s saved many members frustration and money.

I don’t think the first responders intended to make uncaring fun of the original posters situation. The fact is over the past 10 years the cup holder short comings have been one of the most common joke topics repeated many times. It is true, as with some other forums, new posters are sometimes flamed for not using the search function to find answers, but that was not done in this case. Members updating the forum with their fixes and solution results are what make this a great forum. My Crossfire is a garage queen, so I have not had to deal with many issues, but my son’s is high mileage and the forum information has saved us many hours of troubleshooting.

Old 09-27-2014, 10:38 AM
Received 87 Likes on 73 Posts

That flimsy cup holder was the reason for a big argument between Daimler and Chrysler higher ups. Chrysler believed it was absolutely necessary to have one while Germans did not see a need whatsoever. Eventually Daimler agreed and our fantastic cup holders were born...that is until the US counterparts saw the design and said something to the likes of "it will hold a can certainly but no a big gulp"
It's funny but even this little problem showed the different dynamics between these two car makers which in the bigger picture and on a bigger level caused the divorce a few years later.

I do not understand why we don't have cup holders like in some mercedes slk 320s? I have seen this one a few times http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a3.../Cupholder.jpg but also one that pops out below the center a/c vents. Especially in the latter area there would have been plenty of room in our Xfires for the holder.
Of course the location is always a bit tricky as spilled drinks could easily leak into the shifter and center console electronics but one would just have to be careful!