All Crossfires A place to discuss any model of the Crossfire.

ECM repair help needed 2004 crossfire

Old 07-22-2016, 11:45 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ECM repair help needed 2004 crossfire

Car is overheating because the fan will not run. I need help finding a good mechanic and repair options.

New member but have owned the 2004 crossfire for 6 years. 125,000 miles. The Relay module has been replaced and a host of other parts when the dealership could not fix the random - car just dies issue. 2 years after that replacement the car is now overheating. Two garages have told me the fan is not getting power. The last garage says it is my ECM but he can't program it if I get a new one. It seems this is a pricey problem and I have tried many Chrysler dealerships in Kansas City, MO who all tell me they have no one who really knows the crossfire. Any help is appreciated. Not sure if there are other options than to allow the dealership to overcharge me for a lot of repairs that are needed.

Thank you,
Paula 816-807-8085 Kansas City, MO

Old 07-23-2016, 08:04 AM
Received 153 Likes on 141 Posts
Default Re: ECM repair help needed 2004 crossfire

Try this :
Step 1 : connect direct to the fan from the battery ( be careful, don't short anything out and make sure you have + to + and - to - ). If the fan screams like a banshee, then it is OK.

Step 2: borrow a FCM ( Fan Control Module - mounted on the driver side fender well ) from a friend,
or buy one ( Crossfire or Mercedes SLK320 ) from a junk yard ( car-part.com ). See if that fixes the problem.

Step 3: ohm out all the wiring from the PTCM to the FCM and FCM to fan.

Step 4: doubt if you get here, but you might really have a bad PTCM.

Last edited by ala_xfire; 07-23-2016 at 08:07 AM.
Old 07-23-2016, 08:13 AM
Received 559 Likes on 470 Posts

Originally Posted by ala_xfire
Try this :
Step 1 : connect direct to the fan from the battery ( be careful, don't short anything out and make sure you have + to + and - to - ). If the fan screams like a banshee, then it is OK.

Step 2: borrow a FCM ( Fan Control Module - mounted on the driver side fender well ) from a friend,
or buy one ( Crossfire or Mercedes SLK320 ) from a junk yard ( car-part.com ). See if that fixes the problem.

Step 3: ohm out all the wiring from the PTCM to the FCM and FCM to fan.

Step 4: doubt if you get here, but you might really have a bad PTCM.
If you turn on the air conditioning does the fan work then?
Just a thought.

Old 07-28-2016, 12:00 AM
Forum Regular
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Pjlarimer
Car is overheating because the fan will not run. I need help finding a good mechanic and repair options.

New member but have owned the 2004 crossfire for 6 years. 125,000 miles. The Relay module has been replaced and a host of other parts when the dealership could not fix the random - car just dies issue. 2 years after that replacement the car is now overheating. Two garages have told me the fan is not getting power. The last garage says it is my ECM but he can't program it if I get a new one. It seems this is a pricey problem and I have tried many Chrysler dealerships in Kansas City, MO who all tell me they have no one who really knows the crossfire. Any help is appreciated. Not sure if there are other options than to allow the dealership to overcharge me for a lot of repairs that are needed.

Thank you,

Cooling fan was a factory recall item for our '05, not too long after purchase. It worked ok prior to & since replacement, but it was an obvious concern, even when Daimler Co. was still in control. Chrysler's records by vin # should show if that was ever done. Many dealers seem to avoid helping us if at all possible. (what a great company!?!?!)
Usually a better option than the "stealership" is a reputable shop experienced w/ German cars. Do not drive it. Call Chrysler Corp. with your vin# & ask for "open recall" for cooling fan.
Paula; please provide an update. Fan is pretty easy, labor wise, I think. Should be free @ dealer if recall has not been done.
Edit:
Found recall letter (E19), which concerns:" '04 thru '06 model years, because of possible improper assembly." Our car was done @ 10k miles in March/06.

Check this first, Chrysler should honor recall if not done already. Dept. of Trans. should back you up if necessary.

Last edited by lovecross; 08-05-2016 at 10:51 PM. Reason: update & clarify
Old 07-28-2016, 09:04 AM
Administrator
Received 888 Likes on 692 Posts

Originally Posted by Pjlarimer

Thank you,
BOTH the fan motor itself AND the Fan Control Module are known failure points. The PTCM/ECM RARELY fails.

As 100/80 said: Start the car, turn the A/C on - does the engine fan slowly run? If so, then the fan motor and Fan Controller are fine. This means the PTCM/ECM is bad OR the temperature sensor is bad and not telling the PTCM to run the fan.

IF the fan won't run with A/C on, I'd try Alax_Fire's suggestions.