All Crossfires A place to discuss any model of the Crossfire.

Brake Master Cylinder Rebuild

Old 02-26-2017, 07:44 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brake Master Cylinder Rebuild

I have one each, 05 NA and an 05 SRT6. I don't like the brake feel on the SRT6. I've done a lot to try to make it better. New rotors/pads. Rebuild calipers, etc. I cannot find a rebuild kit for the brake master cylinder. Does someone make one?

Old 02-26-2017, 08:08 AM
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by RKC00
I have one each, 05 NA and an 05 SRT6. I don't like the brake feel on the SRT6. I've done a lot to try to make it better. New rotors/pads. Rebuild calipers, etc. I cannot find a rebuild kit for the brake master cylinder. Does someone make one?
Have you bled all the old oil out?
Replacing the rubber lines on all 4 corners with stainless ?

Old 02-26-2017, 08:11 AM
Received 549 Likes on 461 Posts
Default Re: Brake Master Cylinder Rebuild

When I first got my SRT which replaced an NA I felt the same way. I changed the master cylinder and it was the same feel.
I think that the MC is too small for the SRTs larger brake cylinders as more oil is needed to push them compared to the cylinders in the NA. As more oil has to be pushed the pedal has to travel further to the floor, not by much but enough to notice.
I got used to it.

Old 02-26-2017, 08:29 AM

Originally Posted by onehundred80
When I first got my SRT which replaced an NA I felt the same way. I changed the master cylinder and it was the same feel.
I think that the MC is too small for the SRTs larger brake cylinders as more oil is needed to push them compared to the cylinders in the NA. As more oil has to be pushed the pedal has to travel further to the floor, not by much but enough to notice.
I got used to it.
What is the vacuum difference between a N/A and a SRT?
Could be the booster, the 2 engines pulling different vacuum affecting the vacuum boosters, the boosted engines could be pulling less vacuum on the booster?

Has anyone checked vacuum on a N/A and a SRT?

Old 02-26-2017, 08:30 AM

Thank you 100 and Speedy. Yes, close to a gallon of brake fluid through the system to completely flush. SS Brake Lines on the way, that's next. I believe 100 is correct but I wish the SRT brakes felt the same as the NA. My NA brakes feel great, the SRT6 have more pedal travel. I did the same to my NA, new Rotors and Pads. Back together and no issues. Does anyone make a Master Cylinder Rebuild Kit?

Old 02-26-2017, 08:35 AM

Does anyone make a Master Cylinder Rebuild Kit?
Not that I know of, but if I remember, I will do some checking around tomorrow.

Old 02-26-2017, 09:47 AM

I've been thinking about what onehundred80 said about the master cylinder being undersized. Anyone thought or done a conversion to a master cylinder off a CLK 500 or the like. They have dual puck front calipers. Visually appear to be a bolt on change except for rerouting the brake line connections. Thoughts?

Old 02-26-2017, 10:03 AM
Received 549 Likes on 461 Posts

.......................Does anyone make a Master Cylinder Rebuild Kit?
A rebuild kit would only be of use if you had a leak past a seal. If the pedal slowly lets down I would say there is a leak in the system somewhere, but if there is no noticeable pedal let down there would be no need for a new seal except for just replacing it.
All seals leak a little, this is required the keep the faces oiled, but the amount is negligible.

Old 02-26-2017, 10:35 AM

It does not go to the floor, just more initial pedal travel than I like. The car stops fine. My NA Crossfire has much less initial pedal travel. Is there an adjustment for initial pedal travel like there is in cars from the 60's-70's?

Old 02-26-2017, 12:21 PM

It does not go to the floor, just more initial pedal travel than I like. The car stops fine. My NA Crossfire has much less initial pedal travel. Is there an adjustment for initial pedal travel like there is in cars from the 60's-70's?
Don't know about the crossfire, but there are others that when taking the master cylinder off, there is a adjustment rod that goes through the booster to adjust brake pedal.

Old 02-26-2017, 01:00 PM
Received 387 Likes on 334 Posts

There is an old saying, If it ain't broke don't fix it. Another saying, Only way to know what is down there is to start digging. Seeing as these cars parts are so expensive, but that there are MB equiv parts abound, I say go right in and dig. Let us know what you find, ok?