General This section is threads for discussion that is not related to the Crossfire or other cars. It can be about sports, movies etc. - But NO POLITICS please

WARNING! Have you been noticing brown stains on teeth? It could be the mouthwash

Old 10-23-2008, 11:09 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default WARNING! Have you been noticing brown stains on teeth? It could be the mouthwash

That's right! I've been noticing little brown stains on my teeth and after googling "brown spots on teeth," I found this website filled with hundreds of complaints about how Crest Pro Health toothpaste and mouthwashes have stuff in it that creates stains and even worse problems for some people. I'm chucking my bottles. Anyone else have this experience? Here's the link to all the complaints:

http://andywibbels.com/2007/01/crest...s-teeth-brown/

Old 10-24-2008, 12:16 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cool Re: WARNING! Have you been noticing brown stains on teeth? It could be the mouthwash

Originally Posted by golfdude
That's right! I've been noticing little brown stains on my teeth and after googling "brown spots on teeth," I found this website filled with hundreds of complaints about how Crest Pro Health toothpaste and mouthwashes have stuff in it that creates stains and even worse problems for some people. I'm chucking my bottles. Anyone else have this experience? Here's the link to all the complaints:

http://andywibbels.com/2007/01/crest...s-teeth-brown/
Should I short P&G stock! Thanks for the tip. I won't buy anything that says Crest or Health on it! I knew that healthy S**t was bad for you! I had a friend that was poisoned by alfalfa sprouts, well, not really, but I'll bet there are tens of thousands that die every year from yogurt. Have you ever tasted that CR*P?

Last edited by Mr. Max; 10-24-2008 at 01:36 AM.
Old 10-24-2008, 12:28 AM
Forum Regular
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Re: WARNING! Have you been noticing brown stains on teeth? It could be the mouthwash

As I just got a bottle of this stuff for free with the purchase of a tube of toothpaste, this post caught my eye.

I googled "Crest Staining" and came up with this (not very effective, if you ask me) disclaimer by Crest

http://www.crest.com/prohealth/mouthwashFAQ.jsp#8

1. Does Crest Pro-Health Rinse stain teeth blue?
    Crest Pro-Health Rinse Refreshing Clean Mint flavor contains a blue dye.
    • The dye is safe, will not permanently stain your teeth or tongue, and should wash away with normal eating and drinking.
    • However, you might want to try Crest Pro-Health Rinse Cool Wintergreen flavor, or Crest Pro-Health Night Rinse, neither of which contain blue dye.
    Some consumers may notice blue specks in their sink after spitting out Crest Pro-Health Rinse Refreshing Clean Mint Flavor.
    • The blue dye in the mouthwash can bind to germs in your mouth, making them more visible when you spit into the sink.
    • Some consumers find that running water in the sink before spitting out the rinse helps prevent the blue specks from sticking.
  2. Does Crest Pro-Health Rinse stain teeth brown?
    Like all mouthwashes that effectively fight plaque and gingivitis, Crest Pro-Health Rinse can contribute to temporary, surface-level brown tooth discoloration, which is reported by a small percentage of individuals.
    • Tooth discoloration could actually be one indication, in some people, that the product is working: after the rinse kills germs in your mouth, the dead germs can collect on the tooth surface and create the appearance of a brown stain.
    • Tooth discoloration could be exaggerated by many other factors, such as existing tartar on teeth, consumption of colored beverages like coffee, tea and/or red wine, or tobacco use.
    • Brown tooth discoloration from use of mouthwashes that effectively fight plaque and gingivitis is not harmful. It is reversible - and largely preventable - through options like brushing with a power toothbrush and tartar-control/whitening toothpaste, flossing, and visiting the dentist regularly.
  3. Why doesn't the Crest Pro-Health Rinse label contain a stain warning?
    The active ingredient in Crest Pro-Health Rinse has been recognized as safe and effective by an FDA advisory panel. The label meets current FDA standards.

Some other mouthwashes that effectively fight plaque and gingivitis, and have the potential to contribute to temporary brown tooth discoloration, have been on the market for years, and do not carry a stain label.

Crest Pro-Health Rinse’s product label does instruct users to “use [the rinse] after your normal brushing and flossing routine.”
    • Brown tooth discoloration from use of mouthwashes that effectively fight plaque and gingivitis is not harmful. It is reversible - and largely preventable - through options like brushing with a power toothbrush and tartar-control/whitening toothpaste, flossing, and visiting the dentist regularly.
  4. Does Crest Pro-Health Rinse cause taste loss?
    Crest Pro-Health Rinse does not cause permanent taste alteration.
    • Oral care products containing active ingredient CPC may cause a temporary aftertaste, or temporary change in the taste of food, in a small percentage of people.
    • CPC stays in the mouth for long periods of time, which allows the rinse to provide its 12-hour benefit.
    • Aftertaste/change in the taste of food typically goes away shortly after product use is stopped.
  5. Why does the Crest Pro-Health Rinse label not contain a taste impairment warning?
    The active ingredient in Crest Pro-Health Rinse has been recognized as safe and effective by an FDA advisory panel. The label meets current FDA standards.

The temporary aftertaste, or change in the taste of food, that a small percentage of consumers might experience, typically goes away shortly after product use is stoppedBack to Top
So, not only does it risk (reversibly) staining your teeth, but it can temporarily mess up your tastebuds.

But the FDA doesn't make them put this on the label, and their competitors don't labels as such, so at the risk of losing market share they won't label that way either.

Nice.
/sarcasm

Old 10-24-2008, 03:05 AM
Life is random...so am I.
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: WARNING! Have you been noticing brown stains on teeth? It could be the mouthwash

I'm so happy you found and posted this!!!!!!

All this time I thought it was the cigarettes and 15 cups of coffee!