New Member Introductions Welcome new members !! This is the place to post a new thread and introduce yourself and tell us a little about yourself and what model Crossfire you just bought or are looking to buy. Threads created for anything other than introductions are subject to be moved to the appropriate section in the forum for the topic being posted.

Thank You for Making My New 2005 Limited a Reality

Old 04-24-2014, 09:05 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thank You for Making My New 2005 Limited a Reality

I'd like to thank all the members of this Crossfire Forum for contributing their knowledge and experience in owning and maintaining a Chrysler Crossfire. I am an Industrial Designer and have a few decades of experience in the shop and have repaired /restored many cars and vintage motorcycles. I know my way around machines since I design and build them, yet there is no substitute for machine specific knowledge and experience. I am most grateful to the members of this forum who have allowed new Crossfire owners, like me, to stand on their shoulders and reap the benefit of their knowledge.

Last month I found a diamond in the rough; a 2005 Limited with 52K miles in very nice condition... however, it would not start and was garaged for the past two years. The owner was clearly a car guy as he had some other very nice cars. I asked about crankshaft position sensor (CPS) and he said he replaced it and the car still wouldn't start. I asked him if put in a Bosch CPS and he replied that he just went to the local auto parts store got a replacement. I took a chance after extensively researching this forum and calculating a worst case scenario for common parts costs, towing costs and my time. The seller accepted my well-below market value offer after I politely explained that I'm assuming significant risk and the potential repair cost exposure. He was a reasonable guy and eventually agreed, I called a flatbed towing service and got the car home.

The after going through all the fuses, inspecting the RCM, putting in new gas and releasing some old gas through the fuel rails, a new battery and oil change I tried to get her started. The car would just crank and crank, but not start. My first thought was the non-Bosch CPS... so I removed the non-OEM CPS the previous owner install and simply reinstalled it making sure the wire connector was securely snug. I turned the key and the Crossfire started right up! This was a magical moment. After a long, gentle warm-up, I took a very slow drive around the block and I could tell this was going to be a success story. I'll add to this thread some detailed pictures of what I learned so others can see the differences in the sensors, but I'll leave you with my first piece of firsthand knowledge - use a Bosch CPS!(it was only $39.00 on Amazon) It was the reason the previous owner couldn't get the car started and gave up and sold it to me. More to follow... - Steve

Below is my 2005 Crossfire Limited being delivery to my driveway.

Old 04-24-2014, 10:02 AM
Default Re: Thank You for Making My New 2005 Limited a Reality

Wow, congrats! That must've been an amazing feeling when it came to life. I bet you're still grinning.
I'm still searching for one myself and am using this forum as a reference tool.
Wish me luck, and congrats again on a successful gamble.

Old 04-24-2014, 10:21 AM
Forum Regular

I have to echo what the OP says in his post. As a new (almost a year!) Crossfire owner this site was instrumental in my decision to purchase a Crossfire, the specific knowledge available here I have not seen on other car forums, and I have looked to quite a few for guidance in he past. Welcome Steve - and many years of happy Crossfire ownership.

Old 04-24-2014, 10:28 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Im in total aggreement. The knowledge on this forum helped in the decision to purchase my Crossfire.