New Member Introductions Welcome new members !! This is the place to post a new thread and introduce yourself and tell us a little about yourself and what model Crossfire you just bought or are looking to buy. Threads created for anything other than introductions are subject to be moved to the appropriate section in the forum for the topic being posted.

Looking to Buy

Old 06-23-2014, 02:50 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking to Buy

Hello I'm John from Edgewater Maryland,
Glad I found this site"before" I bought our Crossfire. I have been looking for a Crossfire for about 2 months and can't decide what year is best. I really want a ltd. convertable and obviuosly the newer year would be the common choice but knowing how certian cars have "off" years and now I found out about the "rear window issue' I though I would ask the forum. Any recommendations? year,color.etc.?

Old 06-23-2014, 02:59 PM
Forum Regular
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: Looking to Buy

Unless you're dead set on a manual transmission, a SRT Roadster would be my recommendation. I don't have the convertible so I can't say for sure, but I think the window problems can still be fixed under warranty if they started their life in the southern US.

Old 06-23-2014, 03:32 PM
Received 585 Likes on 488 Posts

Originally Posted by RL67037
Unless you're dead set on a manual transmission, a SRT Roadster would be my recommendation. I don't have the convertible so I can't say for sure, but I think the window problems can still be fixed under warranty if they started their life in the southern US.
Maybe, but it has to be from certain states (7?) and it only applies to certain years so far, 2005 only?, not sure so check.
Read this (click) for tips on buying a Crossfire.

Old 06-24-2014, 01:31 PM

Thanks I am currently looking at an SRT6 in Florida. and a Black 06 LTD in Ct. Just trying to avoid some of issues that others have had.

Old 06-24-2014, 01:50 PM
Forum Regular

First, welcome to the forum. Second, we have a MD group that has a large mix of years, powertrain and body types that you can check out and ask questions.

https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum...yland-com.html

I have a SRT coupe, have owned a NA coupe, and I don't live that far from you if you want to check out the car, and poke around before buying one for yourself, just let me know.

I would say these cars are not made to be stationary, if you plan on getting on to park in your garage and drive less than once a week, just forget it. these are cars that are 10+ years old, and have the normal 10 year old issues. Drive the car,enjoy it, take care of it and it will last you forever.

There are several known electrical issues with the car. All have been well documented as to the way to repare, replace, modify the issue, the forum will be your best friend. The car is expensive to maintain, even if you do your own work. There is NO buying knock off or second line parts. you MUST run premium or higher octane fuel in the car. There is really no way to avoid the issues, they are older cars, build on an even older platform. they all have issues. you just need to be ready for what comes up

If you will drive the car, are a little knowledgable with a wrench, or can afford to pay to get it fixed, then this is a great car to buy. If not, honestly get a challenger, mustang, or camaro. the crossfire is an unforgiving mistress that is amazing when she wants to be, but requires effort from you.

Old 06-24-2014, 02:33 PM

Thanks Chisler29 for both the welcome and the intro to the group. As for my interest/experience. I am on the down hill side of life and have taken apart and put together both cars and boats so I can handle a wrench pretty well if needed. In addition I have been throught the camaro(3) firebird(2) and several 4x4 and commuter cars.
I was looking to get a car that is "special" so to speak. I am down to my commuter car which is shortly not be needed and an Avalanche for the hills and valleys..
I'm on the Mayo peninsula(Holly Hill Harbour) and would like to meet you and see your CF.

Old 06-25-2014, 12:32 PM

Welcome aboard John (hopefully soon). After you get your Crossfire I hope to see you soon at one of the Crossfires of Maryland GTGs. We're having a Crossfire Show on August 9th at Linganore Winery if you're interested in meeting and talking to other Crossfire owners. If you dont have your Crossfire by then, no worries, it's an all make, model car show so the Avalanche and commuter cars are welcome to attend.

Last edited by ichon; 06-28-2014 at 01:56 PM.
Old 06-25-2014, 12:55 PM
PNA

Originally Posted by ichon
Welcome aboard John (hopefully soon). After you get your Crossfire I hope to see you soon at one of the Crossfires of Maryland GTGs. We're having a Crossfire Show on August 11th at Linganore Winery if you're interested in meeting and talking to other Crossfire owners. If you dont have your Crossfire by then, no worries, it's an all make, model car show so the Avalanche and commuter cars are welcome to attend.

Welcome and good luck on your serach. Just ot correct Ichon, the date for our Maryland show is August 9th, not the 11th.

Our COM members are great, as are the guys on this forum. Reach out and you'll find the info and help you need.

WRT the cars, they are definitely still conversational pieces by those who don't regularly see them, don't know they exist, and don't know what they are. They are fun to drive and as all cars, have their quirks here and there but we are all passionaate about them on here. The engines are solid, strong and no matter what you get (an SRT or a NA) you can have fun with them, mod them or not, and you'll have some options for GTGs with some good people.

Hope to meet you at our show or sooner.

Old 06-25-2014, 02:10 PM

Thanks and barring a major August storm I'll be there. The wife and I never pass up a winery event and I think we have been to the linganore. We're heading to Florida saturday for a week and there is a SRT6 in St Pete that I am going to take a look at.
Looking forward to meeting all of you. Be ready for the questionsl like "I bought a ....... now what are all the things i need to look for". You have all been so helpful.
Thanks again.

Old 06-25-2014, 02:17 PM
PNA

Originally Posted by XFirejlh
Thanks and barring a major August storm I'll be there. The wife and I never pass up a winery event and I think we have been to the linganore. We're heading to Florida saturday for a week and there is a SRT6 in St Pete that I am going to take a look at.
Looking forward to meeting all of you. Be ready for the questionsl like "I bought a ....... now what are all the things i need to look for". You have all been so helpful.
Thanks again.
Great, have a safe trip and good luck with the SRT6 prospect in St. Pete.

My neighbors family owns Linganore and they let us use the property each year for the event. A win for us and for them.

See ya there.

Old 06-25-2014, 02:41 PM
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by XFirejlh
The wife and I never pass up a winery event.
You should check out the Shawnee hills wine trail in southern IL.
Half of the wineries are on the list online. We live on the wine trail and love it. 6 wineries within 5 miles of my house.

Old 06-25-2014, 03:28 PM
Forum Regular
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Welcome. I congratulate you on taking the time to get informed prior to taking the plunge.

I would suggest also taking the time to test drive the automatic, stick shift and SRT- 6's. Get a list of must haves, wants and kinda likes then check out the for sale section on this site. You will find a sampling of most years and equipment options.

Geez, somehow I failed to see all the responses and replies to your original posting prior to posting this.

Enjoy your trip down . I used to live in the DC area and certainly enjoyed my sports cars up there especially when I took my Jaguar down the Skyline Drive to the Blue Ridge Parkway and points south.

Last edited by MiamiTVR; 06-25-2014 at 03:34 PM.
Old 06-26-2014, 10:10 AM
Forum Regular

I dont know how soon you are looking to get the car, but i have some time this Saturday if you want to meet up and look at and talk about a crossfire. I work in the Baltimore area, we can meet up for lunch or after work sometime if you want. my crossfire is my daily driver, and it fine in all the crazy weather maryland can toss at it. I drive it to work in the snow and cold of this past winter, and sit in maryland rush hour traffic during the 100 degree summers, no problem.

if you want a NA coupe i would recommend a 2004 with no more than 60K miles. The 2004 crossfire came fully loaded that year. there was only one body style and powertain for that year.

2005 is really the only year for the SRT, some of them were badged as a 2006, but other than the logo being a little different there is no difference in the years.

quick things to look for.....
the valve covers are prone to leaking, easy fix, but check them out.
the bottoms of the doors and the hatch are known to rust, check them
the ignition is known to lock up, and not unlock. if the key seems to stick when you turn on the car, walk away.
the rear window in the roadsters are known to fall out. so check that closely.
everything else is like the normal things to look for when looking at a used car.

if you are looking at a SRT test drive it hard, and let the car get hot. the secondary water pump (IC pump) is a fail item in that system. it is easy to fix and easy to find (Needswings.com), just make sure the car is running strong and everything is working when you test drive it.

the crankshaft positioning sensor will fail on the car. make sure you know where it is and how to replace it. cary a spare, most of us do.

for a modern highly computerized car, it is easy to work on. check the forum, make friends around you that have the car, and keep up on the maintenance it will last you forever, and you will enjoy every second you are behind the wheel

Oh, sorry if my first post seemed cold, or rude. Ive seen alot of people get the car and park it, not drive it and put low quality oils, parts and gas in it then complain that the car is junk. so i just figured id toss that out there and make sure you know that its not a garage queen. She needs to be driven hard, often and enjoyed, but she needs to be taken care of when you get her home.

Last edited by chisler29; 06-26-2014 at 10:15 AM.
Old 06-26-2014, 11:12 AM

Thanks Chisler. Great advise,forewarnings and things to look for. This is exactly what I was asking for when I started my post. Would like to meet leaving Saturday for New Port Richey Florida and will be gone a week. What is the best way to exchange contact information? I would like to get together when I come back.