Crossfire Coupe A place to discuss Coupe specific topics.

Moisture behind headlight cover

Old 03-27-2005, 12:21 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Moisture behind headlight cover

We noticed that the driver's side headlight cover had moisture on the inside after taking the car out in the rain. It eventually dissipated in the garage. Anyone else experience this?

Old 03-27-2005, 02:30 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Moisture behind headlight cover

Have moisture every time I wash the car....

Old 03-27-2005, 10:24 AM

It's a known problem. DC says it is normal. I don't agree but oh well. Some people have gotten their dealer to swap out the entire assmbly when the car was first introduced, only to have the problem repeat itself. DC's current fix for the problem is to tell owners to turn the headlights on to dry it out.

Old 03-27-2005, 11:52 AM

I also have moisture just on the drivers side headlight cover, long after I washed the car.

Old 03-27-2005, 12:34 PM

The NHTS does show a TSB on this problem:

www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/problems/tsb/tsbsearch.cfm

Search on the Xfire to confirm. This mean it more widespread than yours, your dealer should fix it if you push them.

Old 03-27-2005, 12:56 PM
Smile Re: Moisture behind headlight cover

Thanks Scott. It is service bulletin #0804304 and was issued on Dec 18th, 2004 for both the 2004 and 2005 models. I'll give the dealer a call on Monday and give everyone a progress report.

Old 03-27-2005, 01:01 PM
Epyon

yea, we get it too.

is it a bad thing?

Old 03-27-2005, 02:13 PM

My scientific intuition says that it should be a sealed unit (?). Also, why would the NHTSA take it on as a bulletin?

Old 03-27-2005, 08:11 PM
Forum Regular

What's the TSB actually do? See if you can get your hands on a copy and post it in the TSB forum. I experience this as well. It was a nightmare this past winter when I had it happen to me during a warm day, but we then proceeded to have a major cold snap. I was stuck with a headlight full of ICE because the mist froze and even shining my highbeams for an hour barely alleviated the problem.. and it was stuck like that until the next warm day.. what a lousy two+ weeks let me tell you.

Old 03-27-2005, 09:28 PM

Just doing a copy and paste gives the following summary. it appears that TSBs are issued by the automobile manufacturer pertaining to a defect. The NHTSA web site states "The data does not contain all the service bulletins generated by a manufacturer. Bulletins for safety recalls in general are not included, and also bulletins which may not pertain to a defect may not be included."

Based on that definition and the problems that NJspeed69 ran into in wet and icy conditions, this is a defect. Thanks for arming me with some knowledge prior to seeing the dealer.

Technical Service Bulletins Summary
Make: CHRYSLER
Model: CROSSFIRE
Year: 2005
Type: ANY
Service Bulletin Number: 0804304
NHTSA Item Number: 10011926
Summary Description:
HEADLAMP CONDENSATION. *TT

Old 03-31-2005, 03:53 PM

Went to the Chrysler dealer today to have them look at the moisture problem. The tech looked at the NHTSA bulletin and the fix and said the problem only appears on the driver side for some reason. The problem is venting. The assemblies are vented in order to let the heat escape. For some reason the vents plug up. They have a kit out that increases the surface area of the vent space. They need to get the kit in (tomorrow), and if it isn't raining out it takes about 1.5 hours to make the mod. If it is raining out, then they hook up the battery to a charger and put the lites on in order to dry out the unit.

He said there have been other causes where the pieces of plastic comprising the unit don't get sealed correctly and water seeps in.

Since the air flow is diminished and cooling is less, left in the current state ther could possibly be a diminished lifetime for the bulbs. Also as NJSpeed69 said, if you're in a freezing environment, you've got a headlight that is trying to focus through frozen, uneven water.

Rating the Crysler tech - 5 stars at Lithia Chrysler in Renton, Wa

Old 03-31-2005, 04:11 PM
Forum Regular

Yeah I had one of my HID bulbs go out on me just the other day. It was snowing/raining when I pulled in at night, and I noticed condensation in the passenger side headlight. Anyway this has happened before with no problems, even after I had HID. However, this time, the bulb must have gotten moist because when I turned on my lights in the morning, the HID bulb on that side was out. Oh well. I can't really take it in for the TSB because they'll probably just blame my HID install... Anyway I'm going to try sealing it up myself. Screw venting it, it already has a gazillion vents on the back, check it out, maybe thats the problem. I imagine if you seal it up when theres no moisture in the air (cold outside) it's unlikely to trap moisture in the headlight which would mist up when it gets warm.

Old 04-14-2005, 02:57 PM

I'm having the same problem. Called two dealers in my area (Dallas). They said if turning the headlamps on drys it out in 15 mins., then it's OK. I said, that's not OK with me. So, I'm checking into it further. Has anyone had the dealer replace the driver's side headlamp assembly due to condensation?
Thanks.

Old 04-14-2005, 03:10 PM

UK calling. Well actually Scotland, and have the same problem. At most recent service pointed it out to engineer. End of service report - could not confirm problem. Next time at the jet wash....hey presto, condensation. Guess I have to live with it. We condense a lot of stuff here in Scotland, but we then bottle it and send whisky round the world...lol !!

Old 04-14-2005, 04:02 PM

There is a TSB out on the problem. The dealer won't replace the headlight assembly, however, will install a kit that alleviates the problem. It seems that there vents that get plugged up. It appears to happen more on the drivers side assembly. There is no charge for the kit.